Gunboards Forums banner

Interesting Find

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Shyquestor 
#1 · (Edited)
I puirchased a book at an estate sale a while back and only recently pulled it out and browsed it. I was surprised to find handwritten notes in ink throughout the book, and newspaper clippings here and there, with a plastic pouch inside the back cover with more newspaper articles. The previous owner had made copious notes giving more background info in some instances, disagreeing with the author in others, and recounting personal reflections in still other places, as he had been there when the event happened.

The previous owner had written his name on the front page and another note:

In connection with the accounts of the Cabanatuan prison camp, on the day of the liberation of this camp, I stood on the side of that dusty road, along with the other men of the outfit, and watched the litters pass by on the way to the beach. I don't think I'll ever forget.
I googled the previous owners name, and found that he had been interviewed for the veteran's history project, a 91 minute digital interview. I'm on dial up, so I don't imagine I'll be able to watch that for a while. He had served in the Philippines.

Here is a link to his page at the Veterans History Project:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/bib/loc.natlib.afc2001001.05893

The title of the book he once owned is:

Surrender & Survival: The Experience of American POWs in the Pacific 1941-1945 by E. Bartlett Kerr

SlimTim

See less See more
#5 ·
Pretty neat. So far my best one was buying a copy of Barbary Shore that included an Army letter asking the addressed vet to please say nice things about serving in Vietnam for P.R. purposes. Kind of an interesting combination of book and letter, eh?

#7 ·
That's very cool indeed. I recently did a little research on that subject thanks to a chance encounter with a buddy's new M1911A1. He purchased a chrome plated GI Remington Rand and asked me to look at it.

From his initial description, I thought, "Too bad. Another Bubba'd GI pistol."

Upon actually seeing it, I was intrigued. First of all, the chrome job was pretty nice, and it sported grips that appeared to be a pretty good set of custom carved handles made from some exotic wood. The real kicker was the presentation plate attached to the old customized GI shoulder holster that accompanied the piece. It said it was presented to a Lt. Colonel in 1945 or '46,- don't recall from memory- and mentioned both Camp O'Donnell and the 12th Infantry Division. The 12th was known as the Philippine Division and fought in the bloody early days of the war in the Philippines and later endured unspeakable brutality in captivity, first in the infamous Death March, then at Camp O'Donnell, and later at other camps including the famous one at Cabanatuan.

My buddy bought it for what amounts to a song these days for a GI .45, and it came with no "story." The family member who sold the piece originally after the passing of the Lt. Colonel is still local and my buddy is trying to find out some more information on the man.

There is still a lot we don't know about the history of the pistol and its owner, but so far it is pretty darned interesting. Stay tuned for more when I find it out...

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Now I'll have to find the time to sit & read it. :)

Ted, on the link I posted to his page at the Veterans History Project, there's a link to the right on that page that says "Digital collection". Clicking on it takes you to the next page where a link to the interview is.

If you and/or MilsurpFan are coming to the Sumac shoot today, I'll bring it along.

SlimTim

#10 ·
I showed the book to pals at the local gunshop, and they let me know in short order the word I couldn't make out was "litters." Actually, that's what it looked like, but it didn't make sense to me. Learned something new, military jargon for "stretcher" is "litter".

SlimTim

#13 ·
I watched Mr. James Sliger's 90 minute interview. The guy is sharp as a tack and very interesting to listen to. He has seen it all. Nice find on his book SlimTim!

#15 · (Edited)
I watched Mr. James Sliger's 90 minute interview. The guy is sharp as a tack and very interesting to listen to. He has seen it all. Nice find on his book SlimTim!
I'm watching it now...the man is a living history book with lots of colorful detail and experiences. I can understand how this man would have taken to coupious notes. Memory like a steel trap and a joy to listen to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.