Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine recently stumbled upon this Rifle case.
I haven't been able to find any information online, but I've never seen anything like it.
We are both curious about the true origin of this case but we don't know where to turn for information.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Also...any idea what it may be worth? He has expressed an interest in selling it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Where did your friend get this from? I know a leather worker from upstate NY well actually knew, He died years ago who made something similar to this. I was just a kid then he was married to my sister his name was Cliff Wade look for a stamp it would probably be on the inside of the butt end something along the line of C W WADE. When he died his sisters pretty much looted his log cabin in Summit NY while my sister and he were separated, No worries though she would be happy knowing where something wound up. No matter who made it that is some fine craftsmanship.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He found it here locally. My friend is actually my barber and I'm sure he would share details upon details if you want more info. "Great guy"

This is the only ID marks I can find, on the main body but only visible when you open the top because it is placed under that over flap.
I can't verify anything directly on the bottom of the lid, and I can't see anything visible elsewhere yet.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
Beautifully made thing, I'd send a photo to John Sheehan and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cavalry pack saddle case for the M1918 B.A.R. (no bipod), mfd by Boyt in 1941.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated.
I'm not finding another online for reference...do you have any idea what this might be worth?
My friend has expressed an interest in selling this case.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Boyt was a Long time maker of US GI Leather gear (45,s etc). A M1918 BAR Scabbard ( cavalry) converted with aluminium frame and Leather "Bumper" for use on Jeeps, 3/4ton Weapons carriers etc.). The conversion (upgrade) of older M1918s (no bipod, wood stocks) to A2 specs was an ongoing thing during the late 30s and early 40s, whilst M1918A2 production built up...Overseas Cav units still had M1918s ( PI, China Station).

Doc AV

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the information. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Also mounted in the half tracks. Don't know of any other vehicle use for them.
I've got one to go with my BAR even tho I don't have a half track. They're neat and go good with all my other leather military firearms cases for vehicle use. I'm missing only one - need the case for the 03 Springfield.
Sarge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.