Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early second Tula production year (1899- 25,000 produced) this SA revolver has a "УЧ" (учебный - training) mark which is rarely seen. What makes this one very interesting in my opinion that this "training" mark is stamped not just on the frame but also on the barrel, cylinder and cylinder shaft. I always thought that "training" stamped revolvers were either decommissioned or rejects, this very well may be the case but this revolver looks too good to me, is it possible they were some "designated" training revolvers since day one as what would be the point of stamping a cylinder shaft? Any thoughts?

Also I know Mona will be reading this - THANK YOU (for you know what:))))

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yuri it looks like the wear finish of the barrel doesn’t match the wear of the rest of the gun meaning it possibly got rebarrelled at some point. So that’s probably why it got decommissioned at first place and later when it got new barrel it was decided to use it as a trainer. Nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuri it looks like the wear finish of the barrel doesn’t match the wear of the rest of the gun meaning it possibly got rebarrelled at some point. So that’s probably why it got decommissioned at first place and later when it got new barrel it was decided to use it as a trainer. Nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possible but the pics do not reflect the wear correctly, in person looks like a typical holster wear

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Oh goodness, that’s a real beautiful Nagant! An excellent example of craftsmanship.
Richard

·
Registered
578 Posts
"УЧ" marks everywhere make this revolver pretty rare. I don't think the barrel is a replacement. As "yuriman" said it's the holster wear or it was getting rusty inside the holster and someone just was trying to clean it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Factory made training revolvers were manufactiured in big numbers (especially during intial production period). For example, in 1898-1905 Tula factory produced 276040 regular revolvers and 7156 training revolvers
Also, 1899 production was much lower than 25000. I have a number of 10363 revolvers produced, but not sure with or without training revolvers
And numbers which are mentioned here for an early 1900's production are far from real
http://russianrevolvers.com/nagant_production.html

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory made training revolvers were manufactiured in big numbers (especially during intial production period). For example, in 1898-1905 Tula factory produced 276040 regular revolvers and 7156 training revolvers
Also, 1899 production was much lower than 25000. I have a number of 10363 revolvers produced, but not sure with or without training revolvers
And numbers which are mentioned here for an early 1900's production are far from real
http://russianrevolvers.com/nagant_production.html
Alex, thank you for your comment
Please clarify: are you saying that there were "designated" training revolvers produced by Tula (7156 produced in 1898 - 1905)?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Please clarify: are you saying that there were "designated" training revolvers produced by Tula (7156 produced in 1898 - 1905)?
Yes, factories made "new" training pistols and rifles. Possibly assembled from rejected parts, but the pistols and rifles are new made explicitly for training purposes.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Like Ryan said, yes. And likely those 7156 revolvers were produced even in shorter time frame, 1898-1903

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!
So what happened after 1903 - did they stop making training revolvers at the factory? Does that mean that there are only 7156 factory made training revolvers in existence and the rest of them are postfactory training marked?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
They were produced according to the Army requests. I think I saw some were made in 1908 or 1909, and for sure after. I need to look through these reports in details

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They were produced according to the Army requests. I think I saw some were made in 1908 or 1909, and for sure after. I need to look through these reports in details
Thank you, that would be great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts