Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

These just came in the mail today. I'm far from an expert but there are some details here I haven't seen before. The first and third picture compare a typical DDR messkit to one that is almost identical to a prewar kit. However, there are no measurement marks on the body. At first, I thought it was a remarked Soviet but the attachment points for the bale are distinctly German. The lid handle is dated 1960 and has both upper and lower loop straps. There is no inner bowl either. I have never seen this mix of characteristics on an Eastie before. The bread bag is interesting too. Dated 1957, it is closer to a wartime bag than a DDR bag. It has pointed belt loop straps and attachment points for a shoulder strap on the back! The only thing that gives it away as post war other than the stamp in the divider inside. It came with an early brown mapcase strap clipped on as a shoulder strap. Maybe I'm just showing how little I know but I've never seen others like these. I assume that the earlier you go the closer the stuff gets to WWII design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.