Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Importance of Exercising Discretion With Regards to Your Survival Emergency Preparations

By Jeremy Crews

Let's face it: we feel better when we feel like we're part of a community. It's a simple fact and a biological one. By and large and with few exceptions, human beings are social animals. The concept of fellowship is in our DNA. It's why we join civic groups, political parties, and even churches.
Needless to say, when one of us sheeple wakes up from the proverbial matrix of the herd-mind and begins to see just how fragile the world we live in really is, one of the first things we want to do is wake up others that we care about to the need for reasonable preparations. The only problem is that, in doing so, you are announcing to the world that when the lights go out you'll be the guy with a generator and lots of fuel; and, when the shelves are bare you'll be eating well. How long do you think it will take the guy you eat lunch with at work and tried unsuccessfully to bring around to remember where he can find a stocked pantry when he's on his second day without food?
Now, in that situation, you're faced with two choices: you either turn your back on him or he becomes your responsibility and it is now your job to look after him and whatever family or ragtag band he brings with him. You could, I suppose, contend that a third option would be to give them a hot meal and a warm bed and then send them away. I reject that notion, however, because they would just come back a few days later and you'd be right back to the first set of options, only this time they'd be even more desperate knowing you'd already sent them away once.
I, for one, doubt I could turn my back on them. Therefore, I fully envision that if the worst case scenario ever occurs I will have family and a small number of friends (those whom I've confided my beliefs in and are aware of my preps) for which to care. The only two provisos I claim in a TEOTWAKI scenario are that my family comes first and everyone who wants to eat must be willing to work.
But, lately, a troubling trend has emerged. I touched on this topic in a post I wrote on 28 February and followed-up in my 1 March response to a letter from a reader. This is the recent rush to buy guns and ammo that we're seeing all over the place. People are afraid (and, rightfully so, I might add) that the current presidential administration and legislature are going to wage a war on the 2nd Amendment, and so guns and ammo are flying off store shelves and mostly into the hands of people who aren't going to have a crust of bread to eat if things really get bad. It reminds me of a post I read a few years ago on an internet bulletin board (can't recall which one) where a guy said (jokingly, I hope) that his preps consisted of a shotgun, several thousand shells, and a handwritten list of the names and addresses of his preparedness-minded friends.
Scary, huh? I hope it makes you think twice before sharing a lot of personal information on your website or blog. Unfortunately, I'm in a position where giving out a little information about myself is more or less required. As proprietor of a new home-based business, it looks a little shady when you hide things about yourself, all the while asking people to trust you with their credit card numbers. Even with that in mind, though, I would never give the exact location of my homestead online. To do so in today's world would be foolhearty, to say the very least.
So please be sure you're exercising discretion with regards to your survival/emergency preparations. Prepare providently and be ready to be charitable. We're all in this together.

© Copyright 2009 Backwoods Industries (except where otherwise cited). Text, video, photographs, and any other material may be republished, rebroadcast or redistributed as long as our website is sited as the author and a link back to our website is provided.
Backwoods Survival Blog - http://www.backwoodssurvivalblog.com/
Backwoods Essentials Store - [http://www.backwoodsessentials.com]

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
This article pretty much makes the same point I was making in an earlier post today that was deleted by the moderator . The threat to you and your preps comes primarialy from friends and family, not so much from what you post on the internet. I thought it odd that a detailed breakdown of the types and risks to losing your preps and guns , inculding such conciderations as being accused of domestc violence, and losing property and possesion in a divorce, as well as the likelyhood of relatives or "friends" being the most likely people to steal your gold and silver and guns, would have been left up if the thread had actually been about security.
You have to have plans about what to do when folks come begging for food , water, and shelter come shtf .. I often see people talking about having groups organized and keeping the prep info close and trusting only family or a select group of friends with details. People talk , people you trust invariably have people they trust more than you, and people talk. Secrets can only be kept by one person.. once two people know, you risk your secret spreading.. and once past the second person, it is in the hands of people you do not know as well and have less reason to trust.

So do you really think your secret is safe with those you already confide in? What is your plan if folks you didn't think knew, start showing up at your place when the SHTF? Who watches out for your stuff when you aren't home and who watches them for you? I strongly advocate planing and preping for unexpected guests and keeping an eye out for people with skill sets that are valuable come shtf and being prepared to employ them in exchange for work on a no work no eat basis . If you know how to forage for example you can put people to work that not only covers their food needs , but also expands your supplys.. The more survival skills you have that you can teach people to use to advantage for your group, the more folks you can use to your advantage.

I have a rather extensive background in ordnance and physical security.. it allows me to have preps, come shtf, that can only be described as "don't try this at home". I employ a rather comprehensive conventional security system in the meantime. As well as having , for all practical purposes, 24/7 human surveillance on my property.

No law against having exceptional professional skill sets in security, but even with that, no system is perfect. Sometimes if you can't stop people from getting away with your cheese , you have to stop them from getting away with, getting away with your cheese.

There are some interestng concepts in security out there http://www.defensedevices.com/safe-room-panic-room.html a variety of area denial devices http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm incorporating nausea or pain or overwhelming sonic effects, or http://www.amazing1.com/shocking_electric_modules.htm for those of us that store valuables in metal containers. most prefectly legal in my state, or if not, I simply don't use them, too many legal options amongst all the choices, these are a small sample, smoke machine + hi intesity strobe combos can severly disorient intruders, especially indoors if they make it that far .. every one of the 5 human senses can be turned against it's owner, usually nonlethal and reasonably priced. Most are portable and self contained allowing for switching them arround if you feel somebody you didn't want to know about them might have spoted an instalation, or if you just like to rearrange the furniture in a totally dark room, as the metaphor goes.... When videotaping intruders just isn't enough. LOL, everybody needs at least one hobby, I have several hobbies.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully you will never have a need to use any of your rather extensive background in ordnance and physical security or exceptional professional skill sets in security on the civilians :)

Seriously she makes a good point it would be good if everyone expanded their knowledge and skill sets when the computer goes down all you will have is what you have learned or maybe the books you have gathered.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Hopefully you will never have a need to use any of your rather extensive background in ordnance and physical security or exceptional professional skill sets in security on the civilians :)

Seriously she makes a good point it would be good if everyone expanded their knowledge and skill sets when the computer goes down all you will have is what you have learned or maybe the books you have gathered.
Actually I spent most of a military career doing exactly that to civilians and paramilitary types using both some of the physical assets I mentioned or the military version there of, along with some other techniques.. I have used my talents in the civilian world on a contract basis and my extended family currently does fugitive recovery, having the advantage of some tangental techniques along these lines.

Believe me... you really do want me out there using this skill set. Well, these days mostly training young go getters, but you really do want these techniques on the street ... Less than lethal is quite fashionable these days. Covertly incapacitating fugitives and criminals makes recovery or apprehension safer for both the criminal, Law Enforcement, and the public.

Just as an example, concider how much safer clearing a building can be if the occupants are sonically incapacitated by highy directional but inaudable high frequency sonic phasors that disrupt a bad guys coordination and creates overwhelming incapacitating pain but no permament damage.

The latest gadget http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cou...ogy-make-it-hard-for-unruly-crowds-to-breath/

http://schizophonia.com/installation/trauma/trauma_thesis/index.htm

More to the point of home defense.. you can make a gun safe unaccessable or set up denial zones that most humans cannot penetrate.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
For anyone who has watched Glenn Beck ...
He has stated many times over how he gave all the relatives a Christmas present of a substantial emergency food stock and how some of them mocked the gift.
He also read the note he included basically stating that if SHTF, this is the best thing he could to to help prepare them and not to come knocking as this was all they were going to get and there would be no more to come.

Such generosity before the fact, and some instruction on self help and preparedness is a kindness to extend. There is a place where one has to draw the line though and let them know if they don't wake up and prepare on their own, there will be no help or sharing forthcoming after the fact and you and your family come first, and last.
I'm sure we all have those friends and relatives who still have their heads buried in the sand who will never see the light and mock you now but would be the first ones at your door in the event of.
You have to make it clear that once the event happens, if it happens, they are on their own and not to expect anything from you.

If it happens, I won't be here and my "stuff" won't be here, so don't bother coming!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I have already told people in my life, or those who know, that they will get no help from me if anything happens. And I always explain, MY family comes first. And I add to that if they are too stupid to see the writing on the wall, I am not going to feed them FOR their stupidity.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,193 Posts
no place to hide.....all the info is already out there....that being said...shtf will be a friend....let me explain:
firstly.... the disruptions will give you a cloak of security from new information.....and any info out there will be dated.

secondly....during the confusions first hand changes are occurring rapidly inconsistently everywhere even near the ones trying to gather information...you know in their personal lives too...emotionally effecting lots of cognitive follow through but on the most important individuals being tracked....hopefully your not important....

third....any one coming to your door must and will bring possibilities positive or negatived and must be sorted out
individually.....A) trading stuff? choices in your park
B) begging with nothing to offer? choices in your ball park.
C) zombies........needing the cure!
D) always lastly government minions - / + intentions?
tracking gathering info....offering help medical.... for info at first trading in their ideas.. many requirements....butter, dry milks, dried foods etc signed for of course!

"were screwing our selves if we think we have the answers to all this before it happens! burning bridges on theory instead of in the time frames of reality as it happens making need changes on current needs and opportunities as it unfolds" ok to pre plan but as i said....

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
DK just one quick qubble on your last post.

The part where you say "....butter, dry milks, dried foods etc signed for of course!"

Just wanted to remind you, The Government no longer has any emergency reserves of food. All the national food reserves were privatized and sold off under President Bush. All gone, the USA has no emergency food reserves at all .. none.

When we harvest the US wheat crop, for example, it goes on the market.. all of it. Some individual farmers may have silos of wheat they do not want to sell immediately but that is their wheat, maybe some Grain Elevators buy up a bunch of wheat privately and hold it for a better price for a while.. but basically all the US Wheat or corn or anything else that is grown here goes on the market , the world market.. and when that is gone we buy wheat from Brazil or Australia in the Southern hemispere where the seasons, and thus harvest times , are reversed from us in the northern hemisphere. This is why we have fresh tomatos in January and problems with milk from China .. if China runs short on milk they just buy US milk and if we run short some week,we buy a couple 747 Cargo planes full of Milk from Russia or Argentina or whereever flown in fresh that day , no problem.. unless of course the supply chain breaks down or the oil runs out. Don't get me wrong... if the supply chain breaks down before we can load our crops on the boat or plane , and can't deliver it to customers overseas .. well it will be sold here of course.. and any US company is free to buy as much local US grown wheat any time they want and store it for the whole year.. if they want, but storing all that wheat is very very expensive and take up a lot of expensive space.. so few do that these days .. prefering to buy fresher wheat twice or three times a year from wherever in the world it comes from .. nobody cares .. it is wheat .. the market is world wide .. there are about a Billion more people in the world than we can feed a full diet anyway.. the richest companies or nations ( some nations do buy year sized stockpiles so their people won't starve and riot/ rebel and kill the government officals , the US doesn't do that because nobody worries about Americans going hungry and riotiing because we can always, or our companies can always, out bid anybody) with the strongest markets we will always be able to buy enough food at whatever price ... so long as the supply chain is intact and there is enough fuel to ship it here. But the Government doesn't have butter and milk and dried food .. that went out 4-5 years ago, the last year or so of President Bush's administration .. it was wasting tax dollars buying up excess crops grown in the USA to ensure US farmers got a decent price and then just giving it away to welfare famlies when we ran out of storage space.. storing that stuff is expensive too, more waste of tax dollars.. when it can be sold overseas fresh for top dollar and help our balance of trade numbers .. and we can just buy whatever we need fresh from wherever, whenever we need it and the consumer pays for it plus shipping at the grocery store.. nobody really complains.. it is all part of globalization.

LOL so forget the US Government showing up with food if the economy colapses .. The Government buys food from the same distributors the grocery stores do, they lease trucks from the same companies grocery stores do, and buy the fuel to run them from the same gas stations you do. When the Government releases oil from the SPR they sell it to the same refineries that anybody else sells oil to, to make gas or diesel. Those refineries take the same cut for profit to refine it, and the gas stations sell it for the same price as any other oil product from any other oil supplier. Then the Government pays the same price on the world market as anybody else to replace the oil back into the SPR.

If anything, having the US Government all of a sudden buying up emergency food for millions of people and leasing tens's of thousands of trucks to deliver it will just jack up the price of food for everybody.

Oh, and remember, US corporations are lean and mean.. they don't have excess factory capability or the employes just standing by to crank out more food to replace food lost in a disaster anyway.. I mean yeah they can put on an extra shift or so and try to find suppliers on short notice to get more raw material and all that .. but that is very expensive in the first place, (if it can be done at all) to do when there are no reserve stockplies just standing by, just in case, in the second place. And how you gonna run a factory to make bread, or any food for that matter, if the power goes out.

Aw man, this is making me hungry.. I'm gonna run down to Taco Bell .....

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
DK, not just poor stockpiles

Concider if you will the technological requirements of each farmer producing enough food for 125 people... Organic/Sustainable/ Traditional farming produces somewhere in the range of 1 farmer feeding 4-12 people, depending primarily on if the farmer has draft animals ( tip: draft animals are not like tractors, draft animals sometimes poop on the food, which is why we quit using them almost 100 yeads ago, so you have to wash any food that is grown using draft animals... this is important so don't forget). We may not have enough farmers.

If the whole technological infrastructure that produces our culture of abundant and convienent food breaks down, what food is commercially available after SHTF may not be microwaveable and may require "special" tools and techniques to prepare like grinding and baking and peeling and skining or pickling or ripening .. people may have to completely disassemble a cow before they can cook it... how many people have a complete set of cow wrenches these days? Recently cooked a couple squirrels...they came wrapped in fur which I thought was a very wierd way to package them and they had no cooking instructions printed on the wrapper.. well okay.. I didn't shave them, so there might have been cooking instructions under the fur... I cooked the last of my Healthy Choice dinners over the campfire last week .. but they had a strange plastic taste.

I think folks might have trouble just adjusting to what food is after SHTF, and might not have all the wierd and special stuff needed to fix it so it can be eaten. Still waiting for the last of my milk to turn into butter, I added only 4 butterflys per cup of milk, maybe I should have used 6... it is supposed to turn blue before it turns yellow? right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.