Gunboards Forums banner

Interesting 7.7 Japanese WWII Ammo/Stripper Clip Purchase at SoS!

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  JQMD 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I spent the day at the SoS military show in Louisville today, and picked up over 1k rounds of WWII Japanese 7.7x58SR ammunition. I'm not very well versed in Japanese ammo, but I believe the purple neck sealant signifies armor piercing. The really interesting thing about this ammo is that it was on 5 round stripper clips. These clips are wider than the standard ones used with the Type 99. I know this semi-rimmed ammo is usually found on Hotchkiss feed strips, not stripper clips. The gentleman I bought it from said that he thought they were used with a different machine gun. Is anyone familiar with this ammo/clip combination? Is this stuff worth anything? Thanks in advance for any input!

See less See more
#10 ·
It is in pretty good shape. A few have some spots of oxidation, but I think they would still fire. The head is blank, which seems to be the norm for Japanese ammo. For the price I paid, I'm definitely happy to use some of it for components and make a little money selling the rest to collectors.

#3 ·
Someone placed the 7.7 JapSR in Arisaka 6.5mm clips looks like. Check clips with 6.5mm rounds.

In the Good Old 1980's small lots of surplus Jap ammo in 6.5 and 7.7 were imported . Loose 6.5mm clips and 6.5 on clips to

You might was to post this on the Firearms of the Rising Sun forum here.

UPDATE
Found it on your earlier repost on Japanese Forum:
"Those stripper clips are used in the Type 89 flexible aircraft machine gun. It used a hopper style feeding system similar to the Type 11 machine gun but chambered in 7.7x58SR." From SSG Lord

#4 ·
7.7x58sr will not fit 7.7 or 6.5 Japanese stripper clips, as the rim is too large in diameter.
The stripper clips shown are different, as they are intended for the 7.7 semi-rimmed cartridge, as they are wider and lack the stripper clip side projections.
As stated those clips are for use with the Japanese T89 aircraft machine gun, and the cartridges are AP.

#5 ·
For the Binary T89 Flexible Aircraft MG use.
The Single T89 used a K type pan magazine, and was loaded from Loose T89 and T92 Cartridges from 50 rd. BOXES.
The Binary guns had chain drive system which carried the 5 round stripper clips vertically to the T11 Ratchet loading System into the Guns.
Binary guns were Mirror Image, with the Gas systems inboard of the two barrels, and both guns loading from " top" and ejecting from " bottom"
The two guns were Left and Right models, laid flat on L and R sides.
Hard to describe without photos.
I have a Single Flexible T89; it has the Vickers Pattern K pan mag ( same design as Russian DT and DA 26/27 guns).
In the 1940s, IJA ( air) used T92 ammo in replacement of the lighter load T89 cartridge...boxes were marked for use in T89 or T92 Guns.
Doc AV

#13 ·
Bob Ness and others have written that type 92 ammo on the long feed strips is the most corrosive ammo that they had shot. So corrosive that you clean immediately after shooting, do not wait to get home.

Does anyone know if this ammunition is equally corrosive?

Tribrothers
Corrosive and ripe with case head failures, even in the 1940s…those action shots of WW2 Japanese MG gunners show that, and I have experienced the same in my type 99 rifle.

#16 ·
92Type for T89 Binary Aircraft Flexible MG
Cartridges 7,7x58SR on special strippers ( no sidelugs and wider than T38/99 strippers.
T89Bin. Mags were a chain drive, holding entireclips to be stripped out into gun ( similar toT11)

Not suitable for T99 Bolt actions...anybody have a complete T89 Binary Flex? On the NFA??? Or a museum?

Doc AV

#17 ·
Maybe OT, but post from 2014 Longshot02 lists explosive ammo(dont know how to link) for same mg?. Stole pics...note clip. Another guy had a few of these and some b-patrone at a show. Bought a few b's, but I heard these japanese rounds were unstable and could go off at any time. I already had a girlfriend that did that, so I passed on the 7.7 rounds.
Rectangle Finger Wood Font Art
Gesture Font Gadget Technology Thumb

#18 ·
They're not THAT sensitive. Don't forget, they had to be ignorant-soldier-proof. And they go for $25+ each to collectors. In that condition I would put them at $35 each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.