Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
For a bench press I use the Lee Challenger and have formed 8x57 from 30-06 with it. I also use the Lee handpress for many reloading needs for pistol or revolver cartridges. I use the handpress always for seating handgun and rifle primers. Just tonight I resized and decapped around 300 30carbine cases while watching the Giant, Panther game. Some of the LC brass was a little tough with the handpress but it got the job done.
I think the Challenger Press will handle your needs at a fraction of the cost of other presses. But if you think you may ever get into larger magnum case handloading you may want something more like a RockChucker.
Yes. It is wise to handload handgun calibers for plinking. You can also develop loads best suited for your weapon.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
All of this information, of course, just leads to more questions for me...:D

I "inherited" quite a number of Lee Loaders - many of which I have on the Trader, though no one seems to be interested.

What is the general concensus on these and thoughts on why the went by the wayside. Most of the articles I've read on them give them decent reviews...

TIA!
Probably because of what tommyc stated. Slow. They take a little work and time and now-a-days it seems that everyone into handloading want's to pump out as many as they can as fast as they can. But the Lee Loader held the Guinness World record for over 7 yrs. I bought a few off E-Bay, though never have tried them yet. I have the .223, 45acp and 30-30. Will check the trader to see what calibers you have to offer. May be interested.;)

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
I did not see those on the trader. Will have to take a gander and see if you can fill one of my caliber gaps.
Neither did I and searched many of the past post. Send me a PM of what you have and I may be interested in anything like 357mag or 8x57. Or drop me an email at wbruney @ cox.net

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
GADJIT

Two book's that will help and I highly recommend before you buy anything

NORM
Yes. And another is Lees Modern Reloading Second Edition.(That is shown in the background) A lot of good info in there. Also, you can always reference load data from the different powder manufactures on the net. Always cross reference your data before loading.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
I am located near Atlanta GA.

Anyone willing to let me watch and take notes would be greatly appreciated.

After reading ALOT about different presses, I am leaning toward a Redding T-7 press. This is a turret style press, but is an "O" type and doesnt flex like the RCBS one.....and can be used as a single stage press "rockchucker" type operation.

Any flaws in my reasoning?

Thanks,
David
In my opinion the "O" style press is a much stronger press. I have only used Lee, Lee Challenger and Handpress, but have heard a lot of good about the Redding and the turret style is faster than a single stage. All of the major manufactures make good presses. Lee also makes a good Turret Press. There are little things different about each that one has to get used to but it is the same with everything. Had trouble with my Lee case trimmers and cutter when I first used them but after trial and error I figured out how to get my cases trimmed to the exact length I wanted. I think you will do good with the Redding if that is what you decide on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.