Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to start. There are various sellers online but $2,000 to $4,000 is quite a bit of money to buy unseen. Which are the most trustworthy sellers and what should I look for in buying a luger. Seems to be: Date and number made, percent blue and bore, percent straw, and matching magazine or not. Can I hope to buy a decent piece for around $2,000 or more? Any advice appreciated greatly.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,955 Posts
Spend some time here getting educated about Lugers before you shell out that kind of dough.
http://www.lugerforum.com
This is good advice.

There are many areas/segments of luger collecting. Check them all out as you may find you prefer one area over another.

·
Registered
951 Posts
ScvotBurr,

The first thing you will have to do is decide what type of Luger you want. German military Navy? World War I?, World War 2? Caliber 9 mm or 7.65 mm? Swiss? Dutch? Manufacturer DWM, Mauser, Vickers, Bern? Model 1900, 1902, 1904, 1906, 1908?

In other word: Do Your Homework!

·
Gold Bullet Member
998 Posts
NEVER buy ANYTHING from Mitchell's Mausers! Those guys re-finish, re-stamp, and just outright fake pretty much any weapons that they sell!
Exactly. If you pay $4500 for a refinished and most likely mis-matched P08 you've got to be high. You can find ones in original condition, though most likely with at least some finish wear, for less than that. I have a '41 byf P08 with all original parts that has a decent amount of blue wear but functions and shoots beautifully. Cost me about $850. Of course I wasn't looking for a perfectly mint WWII Luger. I wanted one that had seen some mileage so I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it. I don't own "safe queens". Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been looking at three different sites. Salter, Simpson and gunbrokers. I've learned quite a bit from surfing these sites as well as from you guys. Of those sites mentioned, Simpson seems to be very good although things are quite pricey. If you have any suggestions on a middle of the road price luger and what to look for, please let me know. it seems that some of the older ones are actually in better condition than some of the ones in the 40's. I'll keep reading before I buy. Thanks guys

·
Administrator
53,420 Posts
Try checkpointcharlies.com he's a good guy to deal with, bought my first luger there. He will send more pics if you are interested in a piece. Nice guy to talk to also. If you havent already go to the FAQ post at the lugerforum to get some more in depth luger details.

If you are looking for a shooter or decide on a particular variation to collect post a WTB at the lugerforum, alot of trustworthy folks. there.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
3,850 Posts
I have been looking at three different sites. Salter, Simpson and gunbrokers. I've learned quite a bit from surfing these sites as well as from you guys. Of those sites mentioned, Simpson seems to be very good although things are quite pricey. If you have any suggestions on a middle of the road price luger and what to look for, please let me know. it seems that some of the older ones are actually in better condition than some of the ones in the 40's. I'll keep reading before I buy. Thanks guys

You probably can't go wrong with Simpson's and you might check Dennis Kroh at Empire to see if he has any at this time.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I disagree, I found a matching Russian capture for $400 that i shoot the heck out of. Cheap shooting
+1 Dan. Triggers are for pulling! I can hear the 'ol Oberst now...."Remember Hans, this pistol is not made to shoot, only to look at!" hahahahaha I have had various lugers and I never hesitate to shoot any of them. Buy a mismatched VoPo. They are inexpensive and the Easties reworked them properly to be as good as a new matching pistol.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Scotburn. I agree with the others. Simpson's LTD. or Checkpoint Charlie's is a great place to look. You have to decide what period, type and callibre you want. For me it was WWII. You should look for an example with all matching numbers. The smaller parts will have only the last two digits of the four digit serial. The condition is the next thing to look at. Is there excessive wear? Does it retain most of it's original fiinsh? Is there an import mark? Are the grips cracked or broken? Look in the barrel with a light (make sure it's unloaded of course!). Does it have sharp grooves? Prices vary in different parts of the country. I recently picked up a WWII dated Luger with minor holster wear for $1,000 at a gunshow. Sometimes we get lucky! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have owned several lugers. The last I sold was a black widow. The time to buy a luger was over 30 years ago at $300-$400 and they were plentiful. They are beautiful but the trigger can not be adjusted and they have too many moving parts to be accurate OR reliable. Don't believe me?...P-38. The P38 is more reliable and easier to manufacture which is why it replaced the luger.
$1000 for a luger is not lucky; it is called RETAIL. If you must have a luger, find a veteran. There are lugers still out there. I have seen 1911a1 45's and nice WW2 german pistols come out of the woodwork here recently with a newspaper classified article. I would go to Simpson Limited for a luger after going to Neiman Marcus for pants....

·
Banned
1,902 Posts
Amen to dealing with Simpson. Bob is a discerning buyer and anything he has will be investment grade. He's not cheap, but he has an established reputation for selling quality Lugers. In building a collection, my advice would be to begin with common German military Lugers with rust blue finishes ( pre early 1937 ) in the 90% or better range. As refinishes go, salt blues appear more commonly and they're getting harder to spot. Some of my acquaintances who should have known better have been fooled. These should be all matching with excellent bores. Be prepared to pay a substantial premium if you want one with a matching magazine. Gun shows offer an excellent opportunity to view both the good and the bad. Sadly, the WWII vets are passing on at a colossal rate and many of their trophies are appearing on the market. It's a fairly common example, but I purchased an early DWM 1918 with matching mag in unissued condition recently at a show for $1,350, so bargains can still be had.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.