Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the German G1 type most and the Israel heavy barrel comes in at a close second, but it does tend to be more expensive, from what I've seen. Then again, everything seems to be going up in price. As far as receiver types and what not, what should I look for or otherwise avoid when looking for G1 FALs. From what I've heard, the Century Arms receivers are not the greatest in general.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Not quite true.
Century were "The Angry Beavers" of the FAL world, but they did not all have crap receivers. Imbel receivers, either "gear logo" marked or not were some of the best available. If its an Imbel it will say so on the side, even if not having the "gearwheel" marked on it. Firs & most importantly is the feed ramp. If any receiver has a "widow's peak" (with 2 (1 left, 1 right) ramps separated by a ridge (the widow's peak) it generically better than the "Unibrow" which had one big wide ramp.
Its not a Bee All & End all thing, but the feed ramp is a huge clue to the rest of it.
Widow's Peak:

Unibrow:

Reactions: 2P Steel 6

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Al & all FAL's or L1A1's.
It IS related to the receiver makers though.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
well "back in the day" IMBEL receivers were the go to receiver for everyone building a metric FAL.......they were cheap (again "back in the day" they were) and excellent receivers you didn't need to monkey around "fitting" them, they were "plug and play"

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Yes type one would be nice (& classy too)

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
well "back in the day" IMBEL receivers were the go to receiver for everyone building a metric FAL.......they were cheap (again "back in the day" they were) and excellent receivers you didn't need to monkey around "fitting" them, they were "plug and play"
All except for the locking shoulder!
Where do you measure a locking shoulder?
That's why they were so good!

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
what I mean by not monkey "fitting" them, you didn't have to tweak and hack on the receiver itself, didn't mean anything about head spacing it.

the gunsmith who built my L1A1, had to "hack" on the US made ENTRPRISE receiver in order to fit. early ENTRPRISE receivers were notorious for being out out spec.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I never said you did, all locking shoulders need proper fitting. No matter who'se receiver you use.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not quite true.
Century were "The Angry Beavers" of the FAL world, but they did not al have crap receivers. Imbel receivers, either "gear logo" marked or not were some of the best available. If its an Imbel it will say so on the side, even if not having the "gearwheel" marked on it. Firs & most importantly is the feed ramp. If any receiver has a "widow's peak" (with 2 (1 left, 1 right) ramps separated by a ridge (the widow's peak) it generically better than the "Unibrow" which had one big wide ramp.
Its not a Bee All & End all thing, but the feed ramp is a huge clue to the rest of it.
This!

My first FAL was a Century C1A1 on a receiver made by... Hesse.

Anyone on the internet would tell you that rifle would have been a dumpster fire, but nope. That thing ran like a top; it digested everything I loaded into it, with nary a misfeed. But then, my Hesse had a widow's peak. @plonker is right: the feed ramp tells the story.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Depends on the details & location a bit. But round here $1500~1800.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
If you go that route find one with the barrel. Yeah $pendy, but that barrel was unique with its Q.D Muzzle devices & without the unique lug you can't fit them.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My suggestion is to get a working FAL first. Any FAL. On one condition. It must be 100% working and reliable. This first FAL will serve you as your learning tool.

A proper G1 FAL is difficult to find. I'm talking about the G1 parts kit build, not even touching the real G1. What's real is that most of the G1 parts kits in the U.S. came from rifles that were abused and neglected by at least two foreign armies. That's where your G1 to begin with.

My first FAL was a Liberty Armory "M444". I don't know why they chose the name M444. It's a IMBEL parts kit built on a IMBEL receiver.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got my DSA a couple weeks ago, Para, 16inch, brand new in box, March 2021 build. Traded in a couple of my bottom of the barrel M-95's and 91/28s so actually ended up only costing me $327.66 with tax.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got my DSA a couple weeks ago, Para, 16inch, brand new in box, March 2021 build. Traded in a couple of my bottom of the barrel M-95's and 91/28s so actually ended up only costing me $327.66 with tax.
Not bad!!

I guess a major point I should have also mentioned is that I live in MA, so adds an unfortunate extra layer when it comes to trying to find one that I'm actually able to buy. So I'm not sure if that puts a little more weight on the side of buying a kit.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not bad!!

I guess a major point I should have also mentioned is that I live in MA, so adds an unfortunate extra layer when it comes to trying to find one that I'm actually able to buy. So I'm not sure if that puts a little more weight on the side of buying a kit.
I live in MA too. I've owned two L1A1 clones (albeit metric) here. They are inordinately expensive, obviously, but a parts kit is no harder to get here than it is anywhere else. Sourcing a receiver, however, is quite difficult: unless someone moves into the state with a newer receiver and THEN decides to sell it in-state, the usual routes (DSA and such) are not available here. We're left to scrounge around for IMBEL or Hesse receivers, and for the most part we need to wait for people to move here with them, get tired of them, and let them go. That kind of scarcity generates really high prices on FAL receivers.

Generally, I doubt it's worth the price of having a FAL built in MA. For the price of the parts kit, a receiver, and labor (if needed), a complete in-state example is not a worse financial option. You just need to be patient and wait around for a Mass shooter to put one up for sale. That doesn't happen often, but like I said, I've owned two and I'm not independently wealthy. You just need to wait around.

Northeastshooters currently has a Rhodie FAL clone, pretty nicely done (it fakes the hole in the mag well the South Africans drilled to sanitize the Rhodie rifles), up for sale. It's apparently a genuine FN 50.64, which are really rare here. I'm not the seller, and at the price it's being offered for I'm nowhere near the buyer, lol. But I mention it to point out that you're fine with either a lot of patience or a lot of money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya MA really sucks when it comes to trying to buy cool guns, unfortunately. And while that FAL on Northeastshooters in cool, it's way past what I'm looking to pay for one. If I was willing to pay that much I'd be trying to get an STG 44, which is my actual dream gun. I've at least seen the PTR44 version of the StG44 for around $4k, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts