Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the German G1 type most and the Israel heavy barrel comes in at a close second, but it does tend to be more expensive, from what I've seen. Then again, everything seems to be going up in price. As far as receiver types and what not, what should I look for or otherwise avoid when looking for G1 FALs. From what I've heard, the Century Arms receivers are not the greatest in general.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Not quite true.
Century were "The Angry Beavers" of the FAL world, but they did not all have crap receivers. Imbel receivers, either "gear logo" marked or not were some of the best available. If its an Imbel it will say so on the side, even if not having the "gearwheel" marked on it. Firs & most importantly is the feed ramp. If any receiver has a "widow's peak" (with 2 (1 left, 1 right) ramps separated by a ridge (the widow's peak) it generically better than the "Unibrow" which had one big wide ramp.
Its not a Bee All & End all thing, but the feed ramp is a huge clue to the rest of it.
Widow's Peak:

Unibrow:

Reactions: 2P Steel 6

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Al & all FAL's or L1A1's.
It IS related to the receiver makers though.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
well "back in the day" IMBEL receivers were the go to receiver for everyone building a metric FAL.......they were cheap (again "back in the day" they were) and excellent receivers you didn't need to monkey around "fitting" them, they were "plug and play"

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Yes type one would be nice (& classy too)

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
well "back in the day" IMBEL receivers were the go to receiver for everyone building a metric FAL.......they were cheap (again "back in the day" they were) and excellent receivers you didn't need to monkey around "fitting" them, they were "plug and play"
All except for the locking shoulder!
Where do you measure a locking shoulder?
That's why they were so good!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
what I mean by not monkey "fitting" them, you didn't have to tweak and hack on the receiver itself, didn't mean anything about head spacing it.

the gunsmith who built my L1A1, had to "hack" on the US made ENTRPRISE receiver in order to fit. early ENTRPRISE receivers were notorious for being out out spec.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
I never said you did, all locking shoulders need proper fitting. No matter who'se receiver you use.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not quite true.
Century were "The Angry Beavers" of the FAL world, but they did not al have crap receivers. Imbel receivers, either "gear logo" marked or not were some of the best available. If its an Imbel it will say so on the side, even if not having the "gearwheel" marked on it. Firs & most importantly is the feed ramp. If any receiver has a "widow's peak" (with 2 (1 left, 1 right) ramps separated by a ridge (the widow's peak) it generically better than the "Unibrow" which had one big wide ramp.
Its not a Bee All & End all thing, but the feed ramp is a huge clue to the rest of it.
This!

My first FAL was a Century C1A1 on a receiver made by... Hesse.

Anyone on the internet would tell you that rifle would have been a dumpster fire, but nope. That thing ran like a top; it digested everything I loaded into it, with nary a misfeed. But then, my Hesse had a widow's peak. @plonker is right: the feed ramp tells the story.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Depends on the details & location a bit. But round here $1500~1800.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts