Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy has a handgun that fires .410 gauge shotshells and pistol ammo, .357 magnum or .45 I don't remember which and I've seen others made to do that as well.
I was just wondering if a 45-70 rifle could safely fire a shotgun shell of some type? I haven't looked closely but it seems close enough in size that something might fit.
Probably just wishful thinking.....

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
i have one of those cheap cobray derringers, fires 410, aND I BELIEVE 45 colt..... i have shot 44 magnums out of a single shot 410 shotgun, my dad said he hog hunted way back when like that, i had to try it. very accurate, and i'm still here to tell about it.:D not recommended, though. you know the golden rule..... right ammo in the right gun.

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I know that, I wasn't going to try it or anything just thought it could be one of those cool things where two different cartridges had close enough specs that they'd work and someone might have taken advantage of that to develop an arm that would take both. .

·
Registered
396 Posts
a taurus judge is different

from a rifle. The judge has a big fat slow bullet and a little rifling and also shoots 410--with rifles, a whole different thing in terms of stablizing bullets, amount or rifling, effect of shotgun on rifling, etc. Also, I think no one is sure if 2" at 25 yards some folks are getting with the judge will hold up over time. They haven't been around that long. A better option is a combination gun with a rifle and shotgun combo.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
To answer the original question, I sure wouldn't chance it.

When the .45/70 was gov't issue they did issue a "Forager" round that was basically a .45/70 loaded with birdshot. So, it's do-able, but I would wonder who well it would pattern.

·
Registered
682 Posts
well, aren't .32 acp and 7.62 nagant pistol pretty much interchangeable except for the cylinder?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
To answer the original question, I sure wouldn't chance it.

When the .45/70 was gov't issue they did issue a "Forager" round that was basically a .45/70 loaded with birdshot. So, it's do-able, but I would wonder who well it would pattern.
Can't we get someone to try and load it up?

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess my question would have been better worded if I asked if someone had built a rifle that would fire 45-70 and something else through the same barrel rather than if the cartridge is interchangeable with another. I do have a 45-70 that I acquired recently and was just idly wondering that, the cartridge looks 'about' the size of a .410 or something.
I would imagine that you could do a 'buck and ball' load with most any large caliber as long as the pressures were kept under control.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I was about 10 - I shot a few rounds of 44 Mag out of my .410 Single Shot. Action was pretty 'Sticky' after that. Wouldn't recommend it. WM

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,930 Posts
I guess my question would have been better worded if I asked if someone had built a rifle that would fire 45-70 and something else through the same barrel rather than if the cartridge is interchangeable with another. I do have a 45-70 that I acquired recently and was just idly wondering that, the cartridge looks 'about' the size of a .410 or something.
I would imagine that you could do a 'buck and ball' load with most any large caliber as long as the pressures were kept under control.

you could probably pay someone to load a shotgun shell load into 45-70 cases. Should be safe to fire. I've fired shotshells out of plenty of rifled guns and never had a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts