Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M96, years ago I installed a taller front sight, but ended up filing too much off to sight it in at 100 yds, so I bought a tall sight from brownels and have it installed, need some insight on how to correctly file it down to the correct height to zero at 100 yds.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
Trial and error at the range. There is no set dimension for a particular rifle. Or, buy say a +1.0 or a +2.0 to start
with in the first place?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,056 Posts
Exactly, trial and error and a good file. With mine it's between a +1.5 and a +2.0

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it installed, now to zero it, brownells included a neat formula to figure how much to file down, take the sight radius, 26.25 inches times the distance the shot group is from the bulls eye and divide by the distance to target, 100yd or 3600 inches, keep it all in inches, equals in inches how much to file down.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Should be about .008" of front sight height change to change POI 1 MOA.

I'ld use a caliper at the range to get your POI close to centered up and then fine tune it.....slowly.... hard to put the metal back on.

It also depend on the type of hold you use. I use a 6 oclock hold and if I get my front sight filed down to just a bit above center I use A-Line- of White hold. It gives me a bit of lee way if I change ammo etc and my POI is low... then I can "push" the front blade to 6 oclock hold or abit into the black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts