Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insider info Polish Archer AK & more - Lots more soon - If you like AK's stay tuned

I have really had an interesting couple of weeks and on of all things AKs. I have been lucky enough to sit down and meet with representatives and designers of the Polish Radom factory. Coming soon I will share with you some great info on the history of the plant and their AKs as a focus. I was able to view up close and personal the new Archer AK which is a civilian model of their famous Beryl rifle in the NATO caliber. There has been a lot of speculation (and a lot of incorrect information) posted on the weapons so I hope to bring some clarity to what has been shared. There will be photos text and even video coming soon, although I can not put an exact time frame on it as it depends a bit on how fast some Polish text can be translated to English. What I can tell you is this:

The rifles that come to the market are exact copies of the military issue weapon that are seeing action in Iraq and Afghanistan. The only difference is these will be semi auto only. There has been some incorrect info on this floating on the Net so I wanted to clear that up right away

All components are made in Poland and are subject to rigorous inspection, in fact the same sort of inspection done to their military version

In spending some time with the Polish design team I now fully understand why Polish firearms are of such high quality : it is because good enough does not work for them as they strive for perfection

Unlike most commercial versions of the AK the Archer will hold up in the toughest of conditions as these are tested in the same manner as the military versions. Drop tests, dirt/mud, water, you name it the civilian version can take it. This really might be the only commercial AK that truly holds up to the standards set by the military version.

Later I will cover all the features of this weapon but I feel it is by far the best AK I have ever come across. In fact nothing is even close as these are just that good. It is very rare that I come away so impressed my jaw is dropping but truth be told my jaw is still out of place. This is one of the most impressive weapons I have seen for civilian sale and I honestly think collectors and shooters are going to love these. Simply put these things are awesome.

Much more to come as those at Radom have graciously agreed to share a massive amount of info with me. Text, photos, video reviews, video shooting sessions, and more are coming soon. I had a great time with my new Polish friends and much of the info on these rifles, along with other weapons systems, will be seen here first ( I am pretty pleased with that - note Guns And Ammo will also have some featured info on these so I make sure our readers are aware of the work this great publication is doing as well)

I am very excited about not only these weapons but also the fact that gunboards will be taking a leading role in information sharing. Vic and I have done our best to bring quality info to the collecting world since 1995 and this is a prime example. Those of you that love the AK are going to enjoy the Archer to no end. It is one of the most impressive weapons systems I have encountered.

PS
Those that think taking a Beryl parts kits and putting it on a Tantal receiver
are sadly mistaken if you think you own this new improved rifle. WOW is about all I can say. This past week I had a great time watching and learning about what may well be the best AK in the world. I do think this will be the finest AK ever seen on the civilian market as in all honestly you have the chance to purchase a (minus full auto) weapon that has preformed flawlessly in combat. The new improveed Berryl rifles were altered after taking into account action in battle and what is neat about the Archer is you see these same improvements in the civilian rifle. Even the magazines and three point sling system are improvements suggested by the soldiers themselves. More soon....... I promise you that you will want one once you see them as I had slobber on my mouth when I left the Radom team.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
great work Tuco!! thanks for getting this info for us Hopefully these will get to the US market without being screwed up by Import regulations. And hopefully at a price we can afford in these tough times
+1

I'm going to be in the market for an AK soon. And I have always had an eye for the Polish receivers. CRAP! I'm starting to drool too!

·
Registered
293 Posts
It would seem that certain parts will have to be US made to meet 922(r) conditions. I would suspect the usual FCG parts, mag, mag florplate,etc.
Interestingly enough, they also make an adapter to use M16 magazines.
For some reason calibre 5,56 AK-type rifles have never really been popular in the US.Maybe it will change.
Cordially,
Okrana

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Tuco, any chance of getting them to make another run of Viz 35?
or getting some of the small bore stuff imported???

And it depends, if they come in like the Siaga, as long as they are not converted you are OK, and if they are

HEY TUCO, can you convince them NOT to stake the gas piston?
you can usually change the stock, FGC, and use a US mag, (which is larger than the factory) and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More

:thumbsup:
As I stated I will have a lot more info soon as in some regards this project has just started. One great thing is that I was able to make two good friends in Poland and I think this will allow the site users here an inside track on these weapons. In fact the site users here will have more info on these than any other source. You will see quite a bit soon as I work with the Poles and the importer. They have given me unlimited access and I will pass that along to you.

On cost: There is no doubt these will cost more than say a mix & matched Romanian but the quality of these are over the top. As we all know there are some makers that get top $$$$ for their AK's due to the quality and care that goes into the production. That is the case here as I honestly believe the quality of the Archer will blow people away. These are manufactured in a very precise manner but still have the toughness that we all associate with the AK line. I also think it should be noted theses, unlike what you see on the market, have true battlefield testings behind them - and the civilian model is built to withstand the rigors of the military model. These are pretty much the same rifle being issued in the Middle East but are semi auto only. Some of the features on these make the Archer a true 21st Century AK but with all the backbone of their predecessors. In my earlier posting I mentioned how impressed I was with these and I truly mean it. These are unlike any AK I have seen for civilian sale. Well worth the cost as you are paying for a quality arm that really should be viewed more in the way shooters/collectors do the AR platform not in the cheap but functional manner we have viewed AK's in the past. It is interesting as many of the US soldiers in both Iraq and Afghanistan that fired these fell in love with them as I even have seen photos of US soldiers carrying the Polish AK. Its a new breed for sure as I think in some regards we in the USA have never truly been offered an AK with a true military pedigree. One other thing I like about these is that with the quad rail there is a wide range of optics the user can make use of and unlike most AK's the accuracy of the Archer warrants top of the line optics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, I hope these come in hovering around $1000. It would be nice to have all the military features in a semi-auto platform. I know that the ones imported by Royal Tiger do not come with the adjustable Polish stock, no selector switch on the left side, and the rails and accessories don't come with the rifle. If you can package it all up, I would definitely pay $1500 for everything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm wondering what Radom's explanation is for the substantial differences in barrel profile (forward of the HG retainer) between the military issue Beryl and the civilian Archer rifles. The photos of the Archer provided by Royal Tiger illustrated a configuration that was very different, with a screw-on MB retained against the FSB with a detente, as opposed to the Beryl, where there are a few inches of barrel between the FSB and a press-and-pinned MB.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I just got the Royal Tiger announcing these. They ain't cheap, but from what Tico describes these didn't get pounded in to shape in Cugir.

They look like IO's StG Weiger clones a bit. May be the compliance furniture.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.