Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see 9mm, $40 / box , .40 S&W also $40 / box and many of the wholesale dealers,[that's their price], say "Out of Stock" . Maybe time to sell some of my stash ? What the heck is going on ?? Anyone have a shortage where you are ??

·
Registered
308 Posts
I see 9mm, $40 / box , .40 S&W also $40 / box and many of the wholesale dealers,[that's their price], say "Out of Stock" . Maybe time to sell some of my stash ? What the heck is going on ?? Anyone have a shortage where you are ??
I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Ammo selection has been down, especially handgun, but up until my last trip was there. But I think I was in the Sportsman's Warehouse in IF last week and the handgun ammo was almost out. Paradoxically, they had as many handguns as they used to (they had been down a bit.) I admit I was a bit surprised at how much handgunb ammo seemed to have been sold.
There's a Cabela's across the road but I didn't check them. They had also been short but appeared to be getting a little better selection up until 3 or 4 weeks ago: haven't been in since.
There was hunting rifle ammo available: the selection was down but some was there. I don't have an AR or AK type weapon so don't pay that much attention to availability of that.
I noticed rimfire ammo was about gone out too. Shotgun shells were down but still had a fair stockpile.
Haven't been to a gun show for several months. Not sure about scalping prices right now. Looks like our local rag has eliminated their "sporting good" section of the classified ads over the last several months (or years).

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
what is going on? what goes on every time there is a "bump in the road" ie. elections, uncertainty, terrorist attack, now it's civil unrest + pandemic and generates a panic by a whole bunch of folks that they go and buy guns and ammo like it's going "out of style" and that drives prices up and up and up as the inventory goes down, down, down.

this ain't "my first rodeo" seeing this happen, and it won't be my last.

so sit back and watch the fun and laugh as folks are scrambling to buy guns and ammo, then go on various gunboards and whine about all those scum sucking companies who are gouging people on their prices :laugh:

I really don't know what kind of shortage is in my "neck of the woods" as i don't need to buy anything, so i'm not looking ;)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,626 Posts
For example Black Talon just sold on GB for $6.40 per round shipped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes my $1 round story elsewhere look cheap.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875102490
I have 50 boxes of 45acp Black Talon, 30 boxes of 357 Black Talon, 30 boxes of 44mag Black Talon, but only 10 boxes of 9mm Black Talon. (Guess which caliber I use most.) A small fortune considering what I paid for it.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,489 Posts
the near $7/rd would keep my finger well away for the trigger. Still shooting .10/rd (or much less) shipped stuff

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cast and roll your own. Problem solved (for the most part- primers and powder usually gets bought out too)

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you think its bad now, just wait till the month before the election. An even bigger panic after a Biden win is very likely and would mean ammo being unobtainium for years. One of his platform planks is banning online ammo sales as well. Trump's doing his best to rile up the Dems to the point now that even the Senate majority is at risk so think of Sandyhook 2013 combined with Obama 2008 AFTER we already are at a low supply point due to the COVID panic.

I planned on stacking through the summer before the election season and I had to start a little early because covid hit. People were complaining about .223, .308, 9mm etc being 3-4 cents a round higher back in the spring and thought "oh I'll wait for it to come back down" when there was basically a 0% chance of that happening due to it being an election year. I might not have finalized my stash at the lowest price possible, but I would bet ammo is not coming back down any time soon and I don't regret any purchases I made this year. If Biden wins and the Dems take the Senate it will never come back down.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,491 Posts
I'm a never trumper but even I wonder what he is doing?
I mean right before an election, please.
Some say he wants out, and even if he has had a minor stroke, I would think he would want to stay.
So it’s safe to assume you will be voting for Biden? Straight Democrat ticket?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
wow, I'm surprised to see no one has posted about everyone favorite "whipping boy" CHEAPER THEN DIRT and their prices, WINCHESTER 9mm, 50 round box 45 bucks (.90 cents a round) plus shipping, and it's in stock :)

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY BEFORE IT'S OUT OF STOCK :laugh:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I always found it ironic that many Americans who profess to be all for capitalism whine about price gouging. (Me too.)
I guess as long as we can carp, kvetch, wine and bitc_ things can't be too bad (yet.)

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,173 Posts
Those who whine about prices the loudest are those who failed to plan ahead.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,626 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
48,772 Posts
Nor does it affect me in any gauge or cal now..late 90’s..
one time in the mix..bought colt govt. 380.
.having not that in any other gun,
I was with two box’s during a run on ammo..
so I accomplish the accumulation afterwards in normal times gathered 20# boxes..Later on..<>< dan

·
Silver Bullet member
48,772 Posts
Few days back..brick of 22- street priced $50.00 bucks ..profiteering capitalism..only works in a persons waking up there visions of unpreparedness !

·
Registered
282 Posts
While there is a shortage of the common pistol calibers around me usually 9mm 40 and 380 the prices haven't gone up they just put a limit of 1 box per customer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
"Gouging" is a politician's term. The correct term is "scarcity pricing." High prices have a rationing effect - those who really need it can find it, and those who don't are encouraged to just sit back and crow. ;-) * Plus merchants and manufacturers are incentivized to ramp-up.

I'm doing some of each, scrambling and crowing - I was shocked to discover depleted .22 LR shelves in my pantry, and an ongoing project to stack up more .308 was incomplete.

So I was "pleased" to buy a few of those $50 bricks, and to buy some "disposable" Wolf .308 at $155/500.

Because what's worse than expensive ammo? Yeah.

(My other caliber shelves are properly groaning under the weight. :) )

*And if someone poor needed a suddenly scarce and temporarily expensive product - like ice to keep the kid's insulin fresh after the hurricane knocks power out - good people like many right here would line up to kick in or buy it for her.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts