Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm new to this board and definitely am glad to find a forum that can help me regarding my Mosin Nagant rifle. I bought it off as a sniper rifle with a PU scope but I'm curious on how to decipher if a Mosin Nagant made in Izvezhk was really meant to be a sniper rifle. I know the Tula version have a star with a C and H or C & N on top but what makes the Izvezhk version different.

I've read that it has to have the laurel with the iron and sickle on top which I have. It has the year 1937r and a 6 digit number and at the bottom is the Izvezhk insignia (Triangle with an arrow inside). At the very top on the left side it has the circle with an "N" and on the right side it has the Accuracy mark (concentric circle; data from 7.62x54r.net)
Any help is appreciated.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,572 Posts
PU production began in late 1942. Izhevsk began sniper production in 1942 and only Tula made snipers prior to 1942. You likely have a replica. Shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I've read almost every info available about mosin nagants but I have not yet seen any about Izvezk sniper rifles markings and all. Most I've seen are only about the Tula version.

Perhaps the key may be the year of manufacture and as you said, this is most likely a replica. Still, it is fun to shoot so no regrets.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,371 Posts
Yes, the year of your rifle is outside the range for PU snipers. In addition most Izhevsk sniper rifles (with some exceptions) have a scope serial number on the bleft side of the barrel at the stock line. Like so:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts