Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope all had a wonderful holiday, finally had some time to clean up my M91 from DK Firearms. I believe I got a nice one, it is a 1942 made at Brescia, surprised to find it had cleaning rod in butt stock, nice Christmas present. On the rear of stock near butt plate there is a marking that appears to have been carved in wood by hand. (Please see picture) This is what I would like opinion/input on please. The mark as you can see is a plus in a circle. I have done a lot looking and I have 2 thoughts, it is either a crude fascist mark put in wood by Italian soldier or this particular rifle was used by a German soldier who was part of the 13 Panzer Division as this symbol is the symbol of the 13 Panzer
Division. If not one of these 2 possibilities could it just be the work of a lonely Italian soldier? Please any comments appreciated.

Attachments

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,077 Posts
first of all switch the sling around, the end tab with button goes around the sling bar in the buttstock

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A sun cross is a pretty common symbol. The 13th Panzer didn’t fight in North Africa or Italy and spent most of its time on the eastern front. Anything is possible, but a Carcano armed soldier in the 13th Panzer seems unlikely.
Thanks for input, I know some Italian divisions were onEastern Front. Maybe I was just hopeful in my mind about it being Panzer mark. Maybe the solider that had it just liked the sun cross. Probably will never know was it was carved in stock.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I think the German army would have frowned on soldiers decorating their weapons. I would look to Ethiopia for an explanation. They have a unique religion there, possibly it's an Ethiopian Orthodox holy symbol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the German army would have frowned on soldiers decorating their weapons. I would look to Ethiopia for an explanation. They have a unique religion there, possibly it's an Ethiopian Orthodox holy symbol.
I agree a German soldier would not do. Just thought it might have been an Italian soldier who‘s division may have been assigned support to the 13 Panzer Division in Eastern front during operation Barbarossa. This rifle was too clean to be part of the RT Imported Carcano rifles from Ethiopia from the pictures and info I read. Thank you for your comments David.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree a German soldier would not do. Just thought it might have been an Italian soldier who‘s division may have been assigned support to the 13 Panzer Division in Eastern front during operation Barbarossa. This rifle was too clean to be part of the RT Imported Carcano rifles from Ethiopia from the pictures and info I read. Thank you for your comments David.
Who is the importer? If it’s IO or Inter Ordinance it’s RTI (Royal Tiger) and would mostl likely be from the Ethiopian cache. If it’s PW Arms with an import serial of CARXXXXX then it’s most likely not from Ethiopia. Those came from Italy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who is the importer? If it’s IO or Inter Ordinance it’s RTI (Royal Tiger) and would mostl likely be from the Ethiopian cache. If it’s PW Arms with an import serial of CARXXXXX then it’s most likely not from Ethiopia. Those came from Italy.
It is PW Arms with CAR prefix. Why the mark is on the stock may stay a mystery, appreciate your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.