Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who says black Friday is for the malls and big box stores? I took myself to a yard sale this morning and picked up a few things. If this checks out, it'll be the best buy of the day! I know they make (or made) really accurate reproductions of these and I really don't know the difference. The wood seems to be high quality, plus there are a few markings that I don't see on the reproductions. I'm inclined to think it is good, but I can't say for sure.

Also, I see the new ones listed for $100, what do the real ones go for?

Damn that looks nice:

·
Gold Bullet Member
5,218 Posts
I have 4 of these and all are stamped differently. I can't remember what the re-po's looked like but 3 of mine have "Made in Canada" stamped under the hinge, on the wood, main body, [not shown in your pic number 2]. The fourth has a small stamp, ,and no "Made in Canada" !! Try it on the gun,if it's tight, that's good enough. The Chinese ones are loose and wobble at the hinge point. Just MHO, BB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a gun to try it out, otherwise I would see. I can ask around to see if I can find someone who has one.

What do these normally run?

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Your stock looks correct to me as it has the C /|\ Canadian acceptance & inspection stamps on the top edge of the stock which I haven't seen on the recently imported well made repros that came in. The wood finish also has the smoother finish and better wood coloration than those repros. And the workmanship on the stock iron looks good too. In my area original Inglis HP stocks seem to be going for $350-300 range asking prices when seen at shows. It looks like you scored very well at that yard sale :)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,637 Posts
Looks like an original. The metal and fit is good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks original, has the 'broad arrow' mark, which is not on the repros I've seen. Mine also has a small JI on the metal attachment. FWIW

·
Registered
51 Posts
This appears to be an original stock as evidenced by lthe walnut wood and the Canadian acceptaance stamps; broad arrow surrounmded by "C" and broad arrow surrounded by "C" and the number 17 located on the top of the grip. Only those stocks imported into the US are required to be marked "Made in Canada". I have never seen a reproduction that carried the Canadian acceptance stamps nor have I seen on made of walnut.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys!

Someone raised a concern about this stock that I'd like your opinion on. There are still some faint scratches (from sanding) present on the wood, would these be present on a normal finished piece or should I expect a highly smoothed surface?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,697 Posts

Someone raised a concern about this stock that I'd like your opinion on. There are still some faint scratches (from sanding) present on the wood, would these be present on a normal finished piece or should I expect a highly smoothed surface?
Wartime military production - the scratches were put on it before the finish and acceptance stamps to my eye. Normal, it is fine IMO. If i had an inglis with a stock lug I'd be thinking about making you an offer. Or creeping into the house some night and making off with it (no, not that, not really). you done good. JMO

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I thought. No one in any military would really care if there were subtle sanding-scratches in the wood (which are only really visible in the right light), but this guy based his entire argument upon how "inferior" the finish was. I think he was full of crap and I trust you folks over this schmuck (who admittedly knew very little about it).

I really wish I had a gun to attach this to :(

·
Gold Bullet member
1,099 Posts
That's what I thought. No one in any military would really care if there were subtle sanding-scratches in the wood (which are only really visible in the right light), but this guy based his entire argument upon how "inferior" the finish was. I think he was full of crap and I trust you folks over this schmuck (who admittedly knew very little about it).

I really wish I had a gun to attach this to :(
The best way to find an Inglis to attach to the stock is to sell the stock; as if by magic within a few months an Inglis will appear at a good price. As tio your prospective buyer, likely just trying to get a lower price by downplaying the stock. When someone does this to me on an excellent collectable, like your stock, I tell them that I don't think they will be happy with the item and refuse to sell it to them. It's amazing how fast their attitude changes. It's really a nice proper stock and if you want to sell it, post it on the WTS forum here on the Gun Boards.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny thing was that he actually bought it. When the package arrived he immediately threw it in the box and sent it back claiming that it was fake. I know there are many, MANY other people who would be very happy to have it so I lost any and all respect for the guy. The ordeal sucked, might end up keeping it at this point just to spite the guy.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,697 Posts
Funny thing was that he actually bought it. When the package arrived he immediately threw it in the box and sent it back claiming that it was fake. I know there are many, MANY other people who would be very happy to have it so I lost any and all respect for the guy. The ordeal sucked, might end up keeping it at this point just to spite the guy.
I feel quite comfortable with the proposition it is the real thing, and would be pleased to have it, though i'm not looking for one. My only HP is a 50K post-war piece, no stock cut, FN-Herstal production.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,637 Posts
Many people have no idea of what is real. Probably, it was buyer's remorse.

Practically speaking, the Canadian stocks are a lot more comfortable to use than FN stocks.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

I have to chime in and say it is an original 1945 production stock. The originals I've seen use flat head screws to hold the spring to the top while the reproduction I've seen use pan head screws. As to the scratches, if you had been around for 67 years, you'd have a few scratches and dings too!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i agree , its original , the repros i have seen are generally oak and not quite as finely detailed ,

yours looks like a match to my original -

1 - 18 of 18 Posts