Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Inglis Hi Power stock/holster seems like very good quality. However, it's hard to determine whether it's a original one or reproduction based on my limited knowledge on this topic. My research indicates that the original one has different color wood insert at the hinge and latch side. It does have a piece of insert on the latch side but not on the hinge side, as shown in attachment 5. The marking on the attachment 2 is very hard to tell what it is from the photo. I asked seller if he can provide a photo zoom in to that marking. However, due to his limited photo taking skill, he can't fulfill my request. However, he described what he thinks: "I put a loop on it and from the left there’s something round that resembles the face of a cat followed by 37". I asked him if the so called cat face is a "C" with arrow in it and turned 90 degree counter clockwise, and his answer was a yes. If that's a case, broad arrow in side C with 37 marking, will that make it an original stock? What are the distinguish characteristics to tell the original ones from the reproduction ones? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Steven

Attachments

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Based upon the Inglis Hi Power stocks I have owned in the past, (starting in the late 1960's) I would say that this is an original holster stock. The quality of work done to the holster stock is excellent while the reproduction stocks "look" like reproductions. All of the metal parts have a parkerized finish which was used on the the originals and metal finish is a quality job, not like some questionable quality stocks with blued metal parts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks right to me. It compares well with the example here which does not have the reinforcement on the hinge side as well. There was a fellow on the HiPower board some years ago who always zeroed in on the 9 in the "1944", which the example here passed. Yours is just like the example here.
For myself, it was as simple as the kind of wood. The fakes did not use a quality N.American walnut - at least back in the day.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BigBoy99 and ebeeby for your inputs. Just checked Gunbroker to see how much these stocks are going for now. The 2 sold ones claimed to be original went for $430 and $480. A reproduction one sold for $143. Are they really that high values? What would be your appraisal value on the stock in the photos? Thanks!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,661 Posts
Thanks BigBoy99 and ebeeby for your inputs. Just checked Gunbroker to see how much these stocks are going for now. The 2 sold ones claimed to be original went for $430 and $480. A reproduction one sold for $143. Are they really that high values? What would be your appraisal value on the stock in the photos? Thanks!
You think $430-$480 is high for Inglis Stocks, then, to avoid a heart attack, do not look at the cost of an Odin stock, a post war FN stock or for that matter, a pre-war FN stock.

(I have all 3)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You think $430-$480 is high for Inglis Stocks, then, to avoid a heart attack, do not look at the cost of an Odin stock, a post war FN stock or for that matter, a pre-war FN stock.

(I have all 3)
So I guess $430-$480 is a reasonable range of price for original Inglis stock now?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,661 Posts
So I guess $430-$480 is a reasonable range of price for original Inglis stock now?
Seems reasonable to me - depending on condition of the stock of course.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Repros do not have the very small Canadian property stamps. Also, if you look next to the latch on the stock, there's a small wooden insert, which the repros also lack. This one is original.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely original. The last one I sold about 3 years ago, went for something lie $375 Cdn, my next one a year later went for $500 CDN. The next ones i sell will be North of $600 CDN. So yes, that is a reasonable price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts