Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about Maks and was presented these two today. Neither are import marked, and both have unmatched single stack magazines. I believe they are both russian made.

Can anybody give me any info if they are C&R eligible by manufacturing date and possibly a general value on the two pistols and or their rarity.
Or any other info you find noteworthy.
Sorry this is the only pic I was able to snap of them, hopefully it's enough.

·
Administrator
8,027 Posts
Barrel appears unlined and maybe even rusty from the color - may be grease.

We don’t recommend shooting Khyber Maks. They’re certainly not proofed. Value is hard to determine - as they are collector items the value is set by the buyer, like a painting. They’re certainly still being made. Maybe someone here can give a better estimate.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Kyber pass all the way, do not buy these to shoot. As for being a collectors item, I have several Maks about 1 of everything except a Chinese SHI but no Kyber pass guns and don't want any. probably make a good paperweight. By the way there some better copies than these out there, these were easy to ID I've seen a couple that were hard to tell from the real thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Those will run you about $150-200 in Kabul... I shot one I had over there a lot before I was informed enough to know the difference, they (probably) will be ok to shoot but definitely not recommended. Mine was quite a bit nicer looking than those all I noticed was a little deformation of the rather soft hammer face after putting a whole spam can of russian ammo through it. Collectors seem to like them though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd kinda like to have a Khyber Pass, just to have it. Of course would never fire it. I can appreciate them for what they are, and they have their place in history. Would not trade a real Man for one though.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got to inspect the pistols better in person and there is no crack by simply where the barrel sleeve lines up is very greasy, the cut is a machined uniform circle. Was able to also conclude they are Khyber Makarovs and will not be looking to shoot them at all.

While the pieces do look rough in terms of machining they seem functional with the exclusion of the safety doesn't hold well on one of them.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Helo MarcUdin! While the hand crafted or maybe semi-handcrafted Makarovs made in Palistan look real please consider a couple of facts. 1. The steel is "iffy" as to whether it is of the type suited to the purpose of a handgun part. One source I looked at said the steel came from the scrapped ships salvaged in Pakistan. 2. The cartridges are of a lower power than the regular military or even commercial 9X19 Makarov. Even the less powerful cartridges will quickly beat the Pakistani/Khyber Pass PM copies into scrap metal once again. I speak from experience. (Nope, I'm not the brightest french fry in the tool shed.) As mentioned they are collectable though and if you wait for better times you might be surprised by what they bring. ' just sayin. Regards, ABTOMAT

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Besides the obviously fake Soviet markings, another thing that sticks out right away is the unusual grips and low hanging trigger guard on the one example. Many collectors have differing opinions on the "Khyber" Maks, but I personally think they are unique and fascinating. They certainly fit in as part of the interesting history of these pistols. However, I do agree if you buy one you shouldn't be buying it to shoot. They're purely collector pieces on this side of the pond.

·
Administrator
8,027 Posts
I’m another guy who had a Khyber Mak in Afghanistan. Purchased for $100, fired six rounds of Russian ammo through it and never shot it again. The Afghani’s knew the value of a real Russian Mak; they cost $450.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.