Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It's an unaltered carbine having no upgrades. The cartouche is a crisp SWP 1880 and with the usual firing proof. I snagged it because I've had many carbines but the condition of this one is very high and may be my best yet. Original bluing is at least 90% with strong faded case on the breech block. Wood has only the most minor signs of use and bore is about perfect. Buttstock contents are all there and the recess is the correct 1877 configuration. I'm most interested in any information about the serial number.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if anyone with access to national archive records would have info on the disposition of one with that serial or anything close to it. It's a long shot because the carbine appears unissued.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Banned
20,922 Posts
There is a publication called the Springfield Research Service (SRS) which may or may not have any specific issuance information for your serial number. It was a privately gathered database, and not an official military record. I don't have access to the latest publication, but you sometimes see them up for sale on trader boards or auctions. The success for a matching specific serial to a gun's history seems to be more miss than hit, from my observation.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I've used them in the past but am not a member. No big deal - I doubt that it went anywhere anyway, but there was a lot going on on the western frontier in 1880 and closely related serial numbers probably saw interesting service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts