Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an SKS that the seller thought was Russian,,,,, NOT!

Looks like an early Chinese import. It has chromed bore, a Cruciform bayonet, no manufacture codes anywhere. The serial number on the receiver is 89 026XX, the "026XX" is repeated on the Magazine bottom, the trigger guard, the top of the bolt (forward of the handguard), and left side of the butt of the stock between the butt plate and the sling swivel. It has the old style Century import stamp on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle. "CAI ST ALB VT" and "SKS 7.62 CHINA" in tiny (almost missed 'em) font. So obviously it's a Chinese SKS...lol

I called Century and they looked up the Serial number in their records. They said it was made and imported in 1989, probably made by Norinco. THe lady mentioned it was earliest import date and one of the lowest serial numbers for a Century SKS she had ever seen in their records.

It certainly looks to be a much higher quality than the other Norinco made imports I've seen. It's essentially new, I bet it hasn't had a 100 rounds through it....

THe SKS book I read mentions something about early Chinese imports for civilian sale had no extraneous markings on them other that the Serial numbers, and that the receiver only would be marked with the production date. Seeing as the font on the receiver serial number is smaller and looks hand stamped, I'll wager Century applied it to the receiver before sale.

Any thoughts on this one? For some reason it called to me.... I guess my Yugo SKS's needed a cousin! lol

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
I wouldn't think 89 would of been an early import date but that really doesn't really matter much. Sounds like it's a nice one and I bet you'll be very happy with it. It's always neat to find one of these in like new condition after all these years.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
as mriddick said it is not an early import of sks, as they started in early 80s. she probably meant it was an early import of guns they ordered new in 1989. i agree it is a commercial sks made in 1989. since she was so talkative why don't you ask her what factory it was ordered from, even if she just says norinco. might learn a lot more.
send pictures. what kind of barrel, screw or pinned? chrome lined or not ? bayonet or not and type and how is it attached?each piece of info helps to understand and confirm what we think we know. good pick up and thanks for sharing.

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to post some pics.....

Some of what you ask was mentioned in my original post, It has a chrome lined barrel, screwed in, and has tiny "92" (I think! it might be 82), stamped on it near the chamber on the left side. Bolt and charging handle/slide assembly both have "026XX" stamped on them, the firing pin is floating- no spring. The cruciform (NOT blade) bayonet is held in place by a large screw on the pivot point.

Other than the serial numbers and import stamp as mentioned, there are no other markings or stampings on the weapon.

After inspecting the bolt and bolt face, gas tube, and piston rod, I don't think it ever had more than a test fire. No evidence of normal use, no wear at all. even on the reciprocating parts. The gas tube release lever doesn't even have any "tracking marks" on the side of the sight/push rod assembly that you would see if it had been through normal cleaning and use. THe action fit very tightly into the stock. It was quite difficult to remove. (And not from cosmoline- it was very clean underneath the wood).

THe Century Rep would not give me any more info as to whom it was transferred to. Thier "Bound book entry" only said
"Norinco" For manufacturer. She could only confirm when century received and transferred it, and when it was transferred to an FFL. (Whom she would not name- exactly as she should have done). Kudo's to Century for that.

She did mention numerous times in the conversation that was one of the earliest commercial production NORINCO SKS she had seen in their books. (As if it was some kind of rarity. No clue on that, only repeating what she told me)

as mriddick said it is not an early import of sks, as they started in early 80s. she probably meant it was an early import of guns they ordered new in 1989. i agree it is a commercial sks made in 1989. since she was so talkative why don't you ask her what factory it was ordered from, even if she just says norinco. might learn a lot more.
send pictures. what kind of barrel, screw or pinned? chrome lined or not ? bayonet or not and type and how is it attached?each piece of info helps to understand and confirm what we think we know. good pick up and thanks for sharing.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
Lately the discussion of commercially produced SKS's from China has taken a turn. For years the thought seemed to be there were new commercially made SKS's produced outside of the military quality structure primarily for export. Then some started to suggest that all Chinese SKS's came from military arsenals under military control with the so called commercial models really being most likely scrubbed military models made primarily for export. I find it interesting you seem to be saying the CAI rep was stating the rifle was a new made commercial model which I would think backs the original thought of these being new made rifles for export.

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was the understanding I got from it too. Then again, NORINCO is/was a Gov't owned corpration using gov't armories to produce it's products. Or at least it used to be. In that time frame, I don't think there was much distinction between the two.

Thus, I would have to assume exactly as you surmise. Oddly enough, I never had a very high opinion of the SKS, mostly because of the really "funky" quality control of the some later Norinco SKS' models. The "as issued" triggers in most SKS are horrendous. (I Know "Kivaari" can work wonders with them, but I haven't gone that route yet).

That being said, the Chinese example I have seems very well made. With the exception of the stock wood, It's of equal quality to the Russian guns I've seen.

I do own two "un-issued" condition Yugo M66-A1 SKS' with consecutive serial numbers. (I got a smoking deal on the pair years ago). They are extremely well made. THe wood is a very high grade of Beech, and the machine work and finish are excellent. So now, I guess I have a trio of SKS...LOL

Lately the discussion of commercially produced SKS's from China has taken a turn. For years the thought seemed to be there were new commercially made SKS's produced outside of the military quality structure primarily for export. Then some started to suggest that all Chinese SKS's came from military arsenals under military control with the so called commercial models really being most likely scrubbed military models made primarily for export. I find it interesting you seem to be saying the CAI rep was stating the rifle was a new made commercial model which I would think backs the original thought of these being new made rifles for export.

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Might just have to send him my trigger group. I personally can't hit anything with my SKS. Others, knock stuff down with it... I'm a lefty, sometimes I wonder if that is my main problem...

VA-Vet

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
I have a similar rifle with a 88 serial number prefix. It was one of five I bought from Century in March of 1989. They all were the same 88 prefix and were very close in serial number to each other. I sold four and kept one. So if a "89" dated rifle is early this one must be real early.......

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,710 Posts
Mike, As I have said many times here commercial means assembled for off shore sales These guns were made up new from surplus parts.( which in fact were all Military production) If you think of all the guns they produced you have to remember that the spare parts shipped to repair units were huge. The left overs when they decided to sell all the sks carbines were of no interest to the buyers here as I believe that most all of the guns were rebuilt before they were sold (make work for the masses and bring a better dollar) So all the spare parts had no buyers and they deciced to assemble them into guns . In this process they used new receivers and scrubbed receivers. That's what my thought is

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine looks like those, Except the finish is a darker red....

I have a similar rifle with a 88 serial number prefix. It was one of five I bought from Century in March of 1989. They all were the same 88 prefix and were very close in serial number to each other. I sold four and kept one. So if a "89" dated rifle is early this one must be real early.......

·
Registered
758 Posts
Militia Rifles

The ChiComs made up a prodigious number of Type 56 Carbines for provincial, county and municipal militias in event of massive civil disturbances, like a replay of the Great Cultural Revolution, or a major war fought on Chinese soil. As they were not manufactured in state arsenals nor were they to be issued to the Peoples' Liberation Army so no arsenal cartouches and the like (viz ideograms for "56 Type") were struck.

Tens of thousands of these rifles were dumped on the North American civilian market starting in 1989. The first two numbers of your serial denotes the year your weapon was selected for export.

It's really just that simple.

To the best of our knowledge no centerfire rifles or carbines were manufactured for commercial sale in China until the early 90s. These jonny come latelies were bolt actions made in very limited numbers at the state arsenal in Chongquin expressly for party elites, chambered in .308Win and 7.62x39mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.