Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I have a couple of shotguns that I would be really interested to get any kind of info on. First up is an Ithaca Side by Side Shotgun. All I know is its old, exquisitely crafted and in very good shape. Not much info is on the rifle, only the Ithaca Name. No numbers of any sort. All info is appreciated .... thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
It looks to be either a 'Crass' or 'Lewis' model Ithaca.
The serial number will tell the story and should be on the action flats as well as the barrel lug and inside the forend iron.
Pull the forend off of the barrels and open the action and allow the barrels to rotate down and off of the action. The ser# should be visible on the action and other parts.

The Crass was made from approx. 1891/2 to 1903. Ser# range 17,200 to 94,100

Lewis model replaced it in 1903/4 and was made only till 1906. Ser# range 94,100 to 123,670

Ser#'s are approx depending on which source you look at.

Both models made in Hammer and Hammerless versions while in production

The Lewis model has the distinction of a 10,000 gun order from the American Tobacco Co back then. It came at a good time as Ithaca was barely staying afloat. I don't know if the guns were hammerless, hammer or a combination of both in that order.

Hammer guns are usually roll marked in the banner on the side 'New Ithaca gun'

Yours looks to be in very nice condition. The barrels show a lot of damascus finish and being damascus steel as opposed to the less expensive (stub)twist or laminated steel available, it would have cost a bit more to purchase. The butt plate is original to the model and complete from what I can see. They are usually cracked, broken or missing or worn smooth in the very least. Case colors remain on the action. The barrels look very heavy at the breech. (12 or 10ga?)
Nice find!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try Classsicgunstocks.com

He has a link to Ithaca factory records- serial numbers and looks to do some fine shotgun stock work. Might be worth a chance to inquire to him on what you have.
Good Luck,
Bob

G

·
Another place to get good Ithaca info would be to ask Walt Snyder a question on the www.doublegunshop.com "Doublegun BBS" forum. He (literally) "wrote the book" on Ithaca shotguns.

That sure looks like an NIG 10-bore to me; it might just be a 12 with an extra heavy breech. Ithaca would make you anything you wanted in those days, and some waterfowlers wanted heavy guns for extra heavy loads. But it LOOKS like a 10.....

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the good info. Its a 12g. I guess its kinda hard to scale from the photos. Time to do more research. The Doublegun BBS looks like the place i need. Ill let you know what i find out. I now realize i should of put my threads in the shotgun section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts