Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Specifications for CG 63 version 1.

Remember my first post in this thread? The pic with two happy shooters summer 1963 with the CG 63 version 1. Here it is again and with the sketch with details in english. So... seems FFV already in this stage hoped for an international future on this model.

Well...wasnt approved by military hence FSR had to cancel it despite that they approved this model at first. GC 63 version 2 became the one we know about and was adopted by both military (m6) and FSR.
So.. here once more the difference between CG version 1 and the final CG 63 as we know it (called "typ 2" in this pic).

And that is all I have on this subject (until more info floats in of course).

Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
CG63 from m/94

I know I'm getting into this thread very late... But many thanks again to Arilar for answering a question in my mind that I never thought could be answered.

QUOTE "FSR had in 1964 and 1965 applied for carbine m/94 (probably meaning m/94 or 94-14) to be given,and forwarded to FFV, from Swedish Government to be used to build CG 63. Answers came 14th of May 1964 and 7th of May 1965 and each time 5000 m/94 was given."

This information is what I needed to judge the history of my CG63 as one of the first 5000 built at CG. I believe Arilar's info indicates the m/96 conversions came afterward (1966 on). Arilar should write a book, or start a web site on Swedish Mausers!

Here is a 1915 m/94 conversion from 1964:

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Looks like a CG63, but since it has a bore disc, it could be an M6. But it doesn't appear to have the cleaning rod. It could go either way as the CG63 looks like it does normally, and the M6 looks exactly the same with the addition of a bore disc and a cleaning rod.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,692 Posts
Looks like a M-6 ( 6.6x55 )or M-7 ( 7.62 NATO ) stock if it has the hole for the cleaning rod . The action looks to be a civilian made CG-63 . The M-6 & M7 target rifles were made by Carl Gustaf . They should have the Crown/C over date & rune stamped on the receiver following the serial number . They would most likely have the CG mfg. diopter sight . This GF sight required a relief cut across the rear of the receiver between the 2 mounting holes . Also the M-6 & M-7 had a front sight unique to them that wrapped around the barrel & was doweled in place . Looks like your just clamps around the front sight base . Pretty stock ! Most M-6 & M-7 rifles were made from M-94 actions & yours is a M-96 . Carl Gustaf had already surplused many M-94's & would probably have used them rather than M-96's .

So , I am guessing it was put together by a swede civilian ?

I have started another thread with photos of an original M-6 target rifle .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great read, seems to have filled in some gaps I was missing about my CG 63.

From what I've read, I have an earlier CG 63 that was converted from an M94 to a CG 63? Also, from what I've read it was probably ordered new and was not a converted rifle sent in by an owner? Also something I noted from looking at photos and reading over various topics is that I might have a mixed set of sights? I have a Soderin front sight mounted on the reciever, but an Elit is mounted on the front( I think). Was this something that was done alot by owners, or could this be ordered when new? If not which sight would have most likely been mounted on the front?

Sorry for all the questions but I just enjoy knowing as much as I can about my Swedish rifles!!

·
9,692 Posts
Welcome to the forum . Your CG63 was made in 1965 at the Carl Gustaf rifle factory . I do not know of any front sight made by Söderin . No way of knowing if your Elit front is original to the rifle or a later replacement ? There were many different front sights & most were not marked by name . I think the Elit front sight is the best of all the ones I have seen , my opinion . Seems that a set of Elit sights would be mounted together . Easy to swap the front sights around & not a big deal to me .

Look at post #61 & see a type #1 CG63 with a Söderin front sight & another type front sight ( unknown ) . The type #2 has both front & rear Elit sights .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for the information, Swede. Are the different front sights easily found? I also have come to realize that after trying many different local stores and shows, that front sight inserts are hard to find for the Elit sight I have? Has anyone found a source for these insert as of yet?

·
9,692 Posts
Anders has been selling the Elit front inserts for $10 each in the past when available . I see the Dutchman just sold a pair for over $50 on EBAY . So , get them when you can . Somewhere I saw a post about someone cutting Elit inserts on a laser machine in the USA at a fair price , but they were not offered to anyone else . Just a matter of programing the laser & you can cut them at any time . If the shop does small orders .

There are other front sights with inserts made like the Anshutz inserts ( two tabs ) . Brownells sells a set of 10 different types of inserts for $20 , made by Lee Shaver ( .675" diameter ) . These are really cut to fine lines . I prefer the thicker Elit inserts myself . These front sights have no name , so it may be hard to get one that uses Anshutz inserts . If the seller can measure the insert & tell you the size , then you will have the correct one for Anshutz inserts . I see this type that clamps around the front sight base & not the barrel as with the Elit . Some others use either 16m/m or .625" diameter inserts .

·
Registered
92 Posts
I noticed that I got a CG63 made by CG in 1964 but it does not have a rune next to the C/64 mark.

But what is interesting with this rifle is that even though it was made in 1964 by CG, it has a 1907 m/96 receiver with matching bolt. Info on early CG63 suggests that they were made using m/94 receivers in 1964 and 1965 but this rifle definitely has a m/96 receiver because the serial number matches the year and the bolt has not been bent upward like the ones from m/94. It also has a "Hemvärnets Prizgevär" on the stock which I believe is dated from 1969.

Does anyone believe that this rifle may have been made prior to the 5000 m/94 sent by the army to FFV in 64?

I don't have a camera on hand now but I will try to post pics this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Anders has been selling the Elit front inserts for $10 each in the past when available . I see the Dutchman just sold a pair for over $50 on EBAY . So , get them when you can . Somewhere I saw a post about someone cutting Elit inserts on a laser machine in the USA at a fair price , but they were not offered to anyone else . Just a matter of programing the laser & you can cut them at any time . If the shop does small orders .

There are other front sights with inserts made like the Anshutz inserts ( two tabs ) . Brownells sells a set of 10 different types of inserts for $20 , made by Lee Shaver ( .675" diameter ) . These are really cut to fine lines . I prefer the thicker Elit inserts myself . These front sights have no name , so it may be hard to get one that uses Anshutz inserts . If the seller can measure the insert & tell you the size , then you will have the correct one for Anshutz inserts . I see this type that clamps around the front sight base & not the barrel as with the Elit . Some others use either 16m/m or .625" diameter inserts .
In the USA:
Distant Thunder
O'Hara Tool, Inc.
W8515 County Road N
PO Box 138
Niagara WI 54151
715-251-3839
Email: [email protected]
www.distantthunderbpcr.com

They makes custom inserts for front sights for different manufacturers for BPCR shooting. (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle)
Jim makes his own sights...and they are beautiful!
If you have a drawing or template they can make sight inserts for you including personal changes you desire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for the information on Distant Thunder Products! I'll have to contact them at some point to see if they will deal with Canadian customers and if they can make the inserts I need. For the time being I will probably try and find a set of Elit inserts, or a front sight that will use Anschutz inserts as these are available locally.

·
9,692 Posts
Welcome to the Forum . The " Crown/C/64 " mark on the left side of the receiver is the date it was converted to a CG63 . Originally made into a m/96 in 1907 .

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Elit sight elements

Hi Bernard, your front tunnel looks the same one I used to have which just provided a hood over the standard blade. I now use a different rifle with a similar screw attachment pattern but it is a tunnel which allows elements or a screw in insert to be used. On mine it allows a Gehmann variable iris to be screwed in. Gets around all the problems of fitting a new element at each range. If you need a post sight for non-circular aiming marks you will still need those elements.

Many years ago while a friend worked at a laser cutting shop, he made me five sets (all have since found a good home) of elements. The cutting dimensions are as shown. Material was stainless steel which cut very cleanly. Width of the post varies to suit each users eyes, at 1.25 mm it suits a good hold with young eyes at 500 yards. At shorter ranges a post equal to the width of the round aiming mark, perhaps wider, is usually used.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.