Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Rifle parts (delar) names in Swedish - English.

Låda = receiver
Slutstycke = bolt body
Tändstiftsmutter, kort slaglängd = cocking piece, shortened stroke length
Styrhylsa = bolt shroud
Tandstiftsmutter = cocking piece
Säkerhetsspärr = safety lever
Avtryckarstång = sear, not sure on this one
Tandstift = firing pin
Avtryckare = trigger
Utdragare = extractor
Kornring m/96 = front sight ring/base
Slagfjäder = firing pin spring

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,618 Posts
I believe it would be " impossible " to tell if any given rifle was all original as it came from CG-FFV or Norma !!!! Once the original " Crown/C , date & rune " was stamped on the receiver , it would most likely be rebuilt again & we know of no 2nd or 3rd time rebuild marks . My CG-63 with the " Crown/C " stamping has a Norma rebuild sticker on the stock , but no Norma markings on the receiver . I have not seen any CG-63's stamped with approved gunsmith's markings , so they may not have used them . If there are any , no one has shown them to date . The one CG-80 that I have with the intwined " JJG " , 86' date stamped on it is the only one that I know of presently . He is not listed in Crown Jewels . This fellow ( Ingvar Jansson ) could still be alive ?????

There are very few CG-63 parts available in the USA , so it is not likely many are put together here . It does not appear many CG-63 parts are abailable in Sweden either , or we would see them on EBAY . As we have recently seen 2 CG-80's at Allans Armory missing parts , I am sure they would be made complete if parts were available . For sure , the Swedish exporters would make a parts gun just to make another sale , but I doubt they would put much effort into the project as finding parts would be difficult . I doubt there is any way to prove the originality of these target rifles .

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
On a m/96 fitted to a CG63 stock... how was the rear sight base treated? Was it unsoldered and left rough? Was it unsoldered and polished & blued? Is there any uniformity to how the rear sight base was treated in this particular variation?

Was the unique CG63 triggerguard and single stage trigger fitted to this m/96 variation of the CG63?

I can't think of anything else that distinguishes a m/96 from a CG63 that might shed some light on this.

Nice to see SwedeJohn pay us a visit:).

Dutchman

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here is an illustration that I got from Pettson or Anders years back. Don't know where the original came from, other than Sweden.

Translation of explanation of barrel markings shown in illustration:

slutkontroll utförd = final inspection carried out
skottställning utförd = test shooting carried out
pipans utgängkaliber = initial bore diameter

Receiver marks:

tillverkningsnummer = manufacturer's production number

fabrik och årtal för omändring resp nyanskaffning = factory and year of conversion and replacement with new parts. (not quite right, but close)

högtrycksskjutning utförd = high pressure (proof) shooting carried out

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We need some examples of the markings left by FSR gunsmiths on converted/modified guns and since some of those gunsmiths from that period are surely still alive, finding that out may not be that difficult.

Although it is very clear from the documents that a military m/96 could just have the stock replaced, what things occurred during the overhaul that is also listed as part of that activity?
Thanks for all translation-work Kriggevaer!! Splendid suggestion to contact a FSR gunsmith. Will try to do that. Think I can find one that actually was active with CG 63. Matter of fact, CG 63 still allowed according to FSR and a FSR gunsmith must be able to do the work or explain the process!
I think the overhaul could lead to the "change of defective parts" according to the price-list in the lower part of the document.
Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here is an illustration that I got from Pettson or Anders years back. Don't know where the original came from, other than Sweden.
Very useful illustration!! Thanks, explains a lot for me. Forgot to mention. Last weekend did a roundtrip with my daughter to visit relatives and friends. "Happened" to pass Husqvarna and Eskilstuna. Found both interesting objects and documents regarding evolution of CG 63. Has been promised copies and can then give you all info that maybe not known before. Can take a while though before I receive this papers. Have patience! I am very glad you all take part in this thread.
Regards,

·
9,618 Posts
Arilar : The cleaning rod is just like a M-96 or M-38 cleaning rod , only 39 cm long . It also has a black nylon cleaning bushing about 3.5 cm long that fits the rod & the bore closely . Why , I do not know , because the rod is to short to use for cleaning . The black bushing appears cracked or busted in the photo .

Note the sketch of CG & Noma markings . The rune is differant for both types . I see a photo posted by FlightRN that only has the " NP " over date & no rune . The example in Crown Jewels also has no rune ( page 135 #287 ) . Does your Norma CG-63 have a rune on it ? Please post a photo if there is a rune .

I have seen the same sketch on Mats Persson's web site . He may be the originator of it . For some reason , his site did not work the last tine I was there .

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Photo tomorrow!

Close to midnight here now. Will produce a day-light photo tomorrow before I go to shooting-range. If I recall right it has the rune. My vacation starts tomorrow!!:):)
Regards,

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hej Arilar,

The new documents you are getting should be very interesting - tack så mycket for the effort.

The presence or absence of the rune mark has puzzled me for several years. I have discussed this with collectors here in the USA and Sweden, who have also noted that situation. It is a little odd that some rifles would be proofed and others not. Especially, if they are the full production models and not conversions or FSR built guns.

Also, Dana Jones notes in Crown Jewels that some 66,000 rifles resulted from this program. It would be useful to know how many were the "new production" rifles coming out of CG-FFV, those made at Norma, and conversions sent in by private owners.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No rune!!

Sorry my mistake, no rune on mine:(. Still......decided to keep her.....:)

I will get back to the amount new produced CG 63 from FFV (at least early years) later. Waiting for documents.
Regards,

·
9,618 Posts
I have not seen a Norma produced CG-63 with the rune . I wonder if Norma really used the " rune " ???? I have only seen a few Norma examples , so to few to make an assumption on that .

Thanks for the photos .

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I believe it would be " impossible " to tell if any given rifle was all original as it came from CG-FFV or Norma !!!! Once the original " Crown/C , date & rune " was stamped on the receiver , it would most likely be rebuilt again & we know of no 2nd or 3rd time rebuild marks . My CG-63 with the " Crown/C " stamping has a Norma rebuild sticker on the stock , but no Norma markings on the receiver . I have not seen any CG-63's stamped with approved gunsmith's markings , so they may not have used them . If there are any , no one has shown them to date . The one CG-80 that I have with the intwined " JJG " , 86' date stamped on it is the only one that I know of presently . He is not listed in Crown Jewels . This fellow ( Ingvar Jansson ) could still be alive ?????

Well.....As I read the early papers only FFV made the totaly "new" CG63s and also the conversions. Norma was allowed only to make conversions. I wonder if maybe the FSR approved gunsmiths came in later. I suspect they didnt have FFVs approval to make the m/96 to m/63 conversions. In that case FFV would have to equip them with the typical CG 63 parts and I doubt they did. What I belive the FRS gunsmiths did was changing barrels (Otterups and Kongsbergs grow popular ,didnt they?) adjusting triggers, mounting diopters et.c. Seems I realy have to make that phone-call to an old gun-smith...
Regards,

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
I have not seen a Norma produced CG-63 with the rune . I wonder if Norma really used the " rune " ???? I have only seen a few Norma examples , so to few to make an assumption on that .

Thanks for the photos .
At one time there were a number of NP CG-63's sitting in the racks at Simpsons. Sounds like a road trip may be in order to check for runes.

·
9,618 Posts
There seems to be more CG-63 barrels ( stamped with a small "K" inside a "C" ) than Norma , Danish & Norwegian barrels . From my limited observations , probably at least 90% to 95% made by CG . If the FSR gunsmiths only did limited gun work , that would account for the lack of any FSR markings on receivers .

Perhaps you could look in a Swedish phone book & see if there is a listing for " Ingvar Jansson , Grena , Gatan 24D , Uppsala Tel 018-257552 " as from the CG-80 with his initials " JJG " & 1986 date . If still living at this address , he may have some info .

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No Ingvar Jansson on that number any more and no Ingvar Jansson on Gröna Gatan, Uppsala. Strange, his name came up while discussing CG 63 with a friend today. Ingvar was a skilled shooter and gunsmith I was told.
Regards,

·
9,618 Posts
Norma barrels ?????

Did Norma really make CG-63 barrels or just install them ???????

I have seen 3 CG-63 barrels marked " NPK , NPS " , but also marked " small K inside of a C " & " T K " over an " A " , which I believe are Carl Gustaf maker marks . So , did Norma install these CG manufactured barrels ?????

I have seen several Norma made M-96 barrels marked " NP " , but no CG markings . These M-96 barrels differ from CG barrels in that they are not fully " blued " under the handguard .

So many questions & to few answers !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
More on CG63 for UK!

Found this:

For unknown reason was pics lacking on the last part about CG 63 above (last part from catalogue G.E. Fulton & Son, Bisley Camp Surrey).

Regards,

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
CG 74 and CG 63 T!

1974 was tryout-rifle CG 74 presented by GF (Gevärsfaktoriet). During some time they had been working on a new "skyttegevärsmodell" (rifleshootings-model). Basically was m/74 using the old 94 or 96 system but with a new barrel with 21 mm diam. at muzzle and 30 mm at base. That ment 2 mm thicker than before on CG 63. Shorter barrel (670 mm length instead of CG 63s 740). Rifle-twist 210 (220 before). "Bombredd" (cant remember english expression) just 1,5 mm instead of 2,4 mm before. Blastered, lustreless surface on outside. The forstock shorter and no handguard. As tunnel front sight was used same as on CG m/6 and CG Junior. Inserts m/Universal could be used. I dont know if any, and if so, how many of this that reached the shooters. 1979 is reported that the coming new model should be m/74 but the stock should be five layers of laminated wood (walnut). Next year was CG 80 introduced.

Well....the CG 63 T then. The same year when CG 74 was announced (1974 of course) saw 63 T the day-light. This was a cheaper version of the m/74 that could later be converted to a true 74. Simply making room for the m/74 barrel in stock and handguard (guess in many cases the hand-guard wasnt used) and wood-works to get place for front sling-swivel (so not getting in contact with the bigger barrel). New stationary tunnel front sight (m/Universal). Total weight for CG 63 T was 4,7 kg instead of m/74 4,8 kg. Almost forgot.....T stands for "tung" (heavy) and correspond to the barrel of course.

Here is a pic of the CG 74 as presented 1974.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Also, Dana Jones notes in Crown Jewels that some 66,000 rifles resulted from this program. It would be useful to know how many were the "new production" rifles coming out of CG-FFV, those made at Norma, and conversions sent in by private owners.
My feelings on totaly 66000 is that it might be accurate. Of course they must include the conversions. Is Normas production included? Would be interesting to know Danas source for this number.
FSR had in 1964 and 1965 applied for carbine m/94 (probably meaning m/94 or 94-14) to be given,and forwarded to FFV, from Swedish Government to be used to build CG 63. Answers came 14th of May 1964 and 7th of May 1965 and each time 5000 m/94 was given.
8th of November 1965 applied FSR to Swedish Government (Kungliga Försvarsdepartementet) on 20000 m/96 to be given to FFV and built to CG 63. 25th of February 1966 came the answer. FSR could be given 16000 m/96, 6000 at once and 4000 for each year 1967 and 1968. Finally the rest 2000 rifles 1969. Later FSR tried to shake out some more thousands of m/96 but I dont know to what success. Sweden had just some years ahead sold of a big amount of carbines as surplus abroad if I recall right so probably no more than those initially 10000 came to FFV.
That makes totally 26000 receivers and bolts that could be used at FFV to produce CG 63. How many more m/96 bolts and receivers that FFV finally got I dont know.
Remember that Norma wasnt allowed to build CG 63 from scratch, only convert what the shooters was sending in. Very few m/94 was in private hands. There was the very few prize-carbines from early times and officers-weapons (not likely that they would end up as CG 63). M/94 could be loaned for FSR-clubs to use for junior-shooters (youngsters under age of 16) but had to be sent back. Could not be bought out to shooters or clubs in the way m/96 was sold. I think that rather big quantity of the 500 fm/23 ended up as CG 63 and as we know some of the 100 fm/23-36 was converted to CG 63 (why did I let mine slip away!!:().
So.... maybe roughly a little less than half of the 66000 CG63 produced was FFV new-made and the rest converted by Norma and FFV by sent in rifles.
If this is correct around 10000 CG 63 from m/94 receivers is produced and if above is right none CG 63 with m/94 receivers came out of Norma. Interesting to hear if anyone has a Norma GC 63 with m/94 receiver that contradicts my assumption. It also seems that new-made CG 63 from FFV was in the beginning made out of m/94 systems. So, these FFV CG63s from 94-systems should have early production years.
Regards,

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.