Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,620 Posts
No one has posted any detailed info of this type before now . Please add more as your time permits . Glad you found these papers . It does give us some idea how & when the CG63 came into production .

Thank you .

swede

·
9,620 Posts
I believe it would be " impossible " to tell if any given rifle was all original as it came from CG-FFV or Norma !!!! Once the original " Crown/C , date & rune " was stamped on the receiver , it would most likely be rebuilt again & we know of no 2nd or 3rd time rebuild marks . My CG-63 with the " Crown/C " stamping has a Norma rebuild sticker on the stock , but no Norma markings on the receiver . I have not seen any CG-63's stamped with approved gunsmith's markings , so they may not have used them . If there are any , no one has shown them to date . The one CG-80 that I have with the intwined " JJG " , 86' date stamped on it is the only one that I know of presently . He is not listed in Crown Jewels . This fellow ( Ingvar Jansson ) could still be alive ?????

There are very few CG-63 parts available in the USA , so it is not likely many are put together here . It does not appear many CG-63 parts are abailable in Sweden either , or we would see them on EBAY . As we have recently seen 2 CG-80's at Allans Armory missing parts , I am sure they would be made complete if parts were available . For sure , the Swedish exporters would make a parts gun just to make another sale , but I doubt they would put much effort into the project as finding parts would be difficult . I doubt there is any way to prove the originality of these target rifles .

·
9,620 Posts
Arilar : The cleaning rod is just like a M-96 or M-38 cleaning rod , only 39 cm long . It also has a black nylon cleaning bushing about 3.5 cm long that fits the rod & the bore closely . Why , I do not know , because the rod is to short to use for cleaning . The black bushing appears cracked or busted in the photo .

Note the sketch of CG & Noma markings . The rune is differant for both types . I see a photo posted by FlightRN that only has the " NP " over date & no rune . The example in Crown Jewels also has no rune ( page 135 #287 ) . Does your Norma CG-63 have a rune on it ? Please post a photo if there is a rune .

I have seen the same sketch on Mats Persson's web site . He may be the originator of it . For some reason , his site did not work the last tine I was there .

·
9,620 Posts
I have not seen a Norma produced CG-63 with the rune . I wonder if Norma really used the " rune " ???? I have only seen a few Norma examples , so to few to make an assumption on that .

Thanks for the photos .

·
9,620 Posts
There seems to be more CG-63 barrels ( stamped with a small "K" inside a "C" ) than Norma , Danish & Norwegian barrels . From my limited observations , probably at least 90% to 95% made by CG . If the FSR gunsmiths only did limited gun work , that would account for the lack of any FSR markings on receivers .

Perhaps you could look in a Swedish phone book & see if there is a listing for " Ingvar Jansson , Grena , Gatan 24D , Uppsala Tel 018-257552 " as from the CG-80 with his initials " JJG " & 1986 date . If still living at this address , he may have some info .

·
9,620 Posts
Norma barrels ?????

Did Norma really make CG-63 barrels or just install them ???????

I have seen 3 CG-63 barrels marked " NPK , NPS " , but also marked " small K inside of a C " & " T K " over an " A " , which I believe are Carl Gustaf maker marks . So , did Norma install these CG manufactured barrels ?????

I have seen several Norma made M-96 barrels marked " NP " , but no CG markings . These M-96 barrels differ from CG barrels in that they are not fully " blued " under the handguard .

So many questions & to few answers !!!!!!

·
9,620 Posts
I know of at least one ( maybe two ) Officer's weapon carbines that were made into CG-63's .

I have not seen nor heard of a Norma marked CG-63 either ( made from a M-94 ) .

I keep some records of carbine serial numbers , some of which were built into CG-63's with the a CG Crown & dated '64 , '65 , '66 or '69 . Maybe some other board members have some later dated CG-63's .

Arilar : By the way , there were a large number of M-94 or M-94/14 carbines surplused into the USA in the late 1950's & early 1960's . It is reported that Interarms ( an importer ) brought in 2 shipments of 20,000 carbines , each ( 40,000 total ) . There were 3 or 4 other importers that brought an " unknown " number of carbines in this same time period . I am only guessing the total from all importers could be as many as " half " the total carbine production of 125,xxx . Unfortunately , to many carbines on the market at one time , lead many to be sporterized .

·
9,620 Posts
That is like winning the lotto . What are the chances of ever finding the same stock as in the photo ??????????????????????

·
9,620 Posts
Since this stock came from the person that originally tested the rifle , I think it is clearly the same stock as in the advertisement .

Did the fellow mention what happened to the rifled action ? Does he know how many were made ?

·
9,620 Posts
Sure , we are interested in more info on the CG63's .

Also , it seems strange that Carl Gustaf would use the same CG62 model number for the folding stock biathalon rifle ????????

·
9,620 Posts
Looks like a M-6 ( 6.6x55 )or M-7 ( 7.62 NATO ) stock if it has the hole for the cleaning rod . The action looks to be a civilian made CG-63 . The M-6 & M7 target rifles were made by Carl Gustaf . They should have the Crown/C over date & rune stamped on the receiver following the serial number . They would most likely have the CG mfg. diopter sight . This GF sight required a relief cut across the rear of the receiver between the 2 mounting holes . Also the M-6 & M-7 had a front sight unique to them that wrapped around the barrel & was doweled in place . Looks like your just clamps around the front sight base . Pretty stock ! Most M-6 & M-7 rifles were made from M-94 actions & yours is a M-96 . Carl Gustaf had already surplused many M-94's & would probably have used them rather than M-96's .

So , I am guessing it was put together by a swede civilian ?

I have started another thread with photos of an original M-6 target rifle .

·
9,620 Posts
Welcome to the forum . Your CG63 was made in 1965 at the Carl Gustaf rifle factory . I do not know of any front sight made by Söderin . No way of knowing if your Elit front is original to the rifle or a later replacement ? There were many different front sights & most were not marked by name . I think the Elit front sight is the best of all the ones I have seen , my opinion . Seems that a set of Elit sights would be mounted together . Easy to swap the front sights around & not a big deal to me .

Look at post #61 & see a type #1 CG63 with a Söderin front sight & another type front sight ( unknown ) . The type #2 has both front & rear Elit sights .

·
9,620 Posts
Anders has been selling the Elit front inserts for $10 each in the past when available . I see the Dutchman just sold a pair for over $50 on EBAY . So , get them when you can . Somewhere I saw a post about someone cutting Elit inserts on a laser machine in the USA at a fair price , but they were not offered to anyone else . Just a matter of programing the laser & you can cut them at any time . If the shop does small orders .

There are other front sights with inserts made like the Anshutz inserts ( two tabs ) . Brownells sells a set of 10 different types of inserts for $20 , made by Lee Shaver ( .675" diameter ) . These are really cut to fine lines . I prefer the thicker Elit inserts myself . These front sights have no name , so it may be hard to get one that uses Anshutz inserts . If the seller can measure the insert & tell you the size , then you will have the correct one for Anshutz inserts . I see this type that clamps around the front sight base & not the barrel as with the Elit . Some others use either 16m/m or .625" diameter inserts .

·
9,620 Posts
Welcome to the Forum . The " Crown/C/64 " mark on the left side of the receiver is the date it was converted to a CG63 . Originally made into a m/96 in 1907 .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.