Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
And in 7.62 x 51?

A great post with all new information.

I have always wondered about evolution of the 7.62 x 51 versions of the M63 rifle. Reynolds and Fulton's 1972 book Target Rifle Shooting references the M63 fitted with parker Hale sights was trialled for adoption on the UK when they were crossing over from the 303 Br to the 7.62 x 51 cartridge. It doesn't give a date but it would have been about 1968 when the changover occurred.

Interesting too that the original M96 action was perfectly OK for this cartridge.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Great information

Thanks Arilar, I have never had any document sourced before this to prove when the 63 was being sold and used in the UK.
SwedeM63

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Elit sight elements

Hi Bernard, your front tunnel looks the same one I used to have which just provided a hood over the standard blade. I now use a different rifle with a similar screw attachment pattern but it is a tunnel which allows elements or a screw in insert to be used. On mine it allows a Gehmann variable iris to be screwed in. Gets around all the problems of fitting a new element at each range. If you need a post sight for non-circular aiming marks you will still need those elements.

Many years ago while a friend worked at a laser cutting shop, he made me five sets (all have since found a good home) of elements. The cutting dimensions are as shown. Material was stainless steel which cut very cleanly. Width of the post varies to suit each users eyes, at 1.25 mm it suits a good hold with young eyes at 500 yards. At shorter ranges a post equal to the width of the round aiming mark, perhaps wider, is usually used.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.