Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thank you Arilar for posting that documentation - it is a tremendously important contribution. Tack så mycket! For years, Dana's Crown Jewels has been one of the few sources of information for the CG 63 and it was from his book that I set my standards on what I want to find and have when I buy a CG 63 rifle. Your documents make it very clear and fill in the gaps in that information.

Questions still remain - Was any rifle that was produced or converted/modified by CG-FFV or Norma given the appropriate stamp on the receiver? Are there any other known markings that are specific to that process? Not all CG 63 rifles that have all of the attributes of a newly produced or fully converted rifle (i.e., 19mm barrel, modifications to the trigger, firing pin, cocking piece, receiver stamps, etc.) have a re-proof rune. Does this mean that the gunsmiths at CG-FFV or Norma determined that the rifle did not need to be re-proofed?

We need some examples of the markings left by FSR gunsmiths on converted/modified guns and since some of those gunsmiths from that period are surely still alive, finding that out may not be that difficult.

Although it is very clear from the documents that a military m/96 could just have the stock replaced, what things occurred during the overhaul that is also listed as part of that activity?

One of the points I raised earlier is also unanswered. Since originality is a basic premise of collecting these types of rifles, how is the originality of an m/96 barreled military action with a CG 63 stock to be determined? That is, how do we know such a rifle went through the official process in Sweden versus someone either in Sweden or the USA simply building a CG 63 like rifle out of parts. At the prices these rifles can command, that is the first thing I want to know. Can I establish the provenance of the rifle?

I can help on translating the technical terms for the gun parts on the order sheet and will get to that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Rifle parts (delar) names in Swedish - English.

Låda = receiver
Slutstycke = bolt body
Tändstiftsmutter, kort slaglängd = cocking piece, shortened stroke length
Styrhylsa = bolt shroud
Tandstiftsmutter = cocking piece
Säkerhetsspärr = safety lever
Avtryckarstång = sear, not sure on this one
Tandstift = firing pin
Avtryckare = trigger
Utdragare = extractor
Kornring m/96 = front sight ring/base
Slagfjäder = firing pin spring

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here is an illustration that I got from Pettson or Anders years back. Don't know where the original came from, other than Sweden.

Translation of explanation of barrel markings shown in illustration:

slutkontroll utförd = final inspection carried out
skottställning utförd = test shooting carried out
pipans utgängkaliber = initial bore diameter

Receiver marks:

tillverkningsnummer = manufacturer's production number

fabrik och årtal för omändring resp nyanskaffning = factory and year of conversion and replacement with new parts. (not quite right, but close)

högtrycksskjutning utförd = high pressure (proof) shooting carried out

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hej Arilar,

The new documents you are getting should be very interesting - tack så mycket for the effort.

The presence or absence of the rune mark has puzzled me for several years. I have discussed this with collectors here in the USA and Sweden, who have also noted that situation. It is a little odd that some rifles would be proofed and others not. Especially, if they are the full production models and not conversions or FSR built guns.

Also, Dana Jones notes in Crown Jewels that some 66,000 rifles resulted from this program. It would be useful to know how many were the "new production" rifles coming out of CG-FFV, those made at Norma, and conversions sent in by private owners.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thank you arilar, well done. My m/94 based CG63 is dated 1964. I've always like the modification of the m/94 bolt handle when they were built into CG63.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.