Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks -

Picked this up over the weekend at a local show. Paid a lot less than the tag, as it was the end of show. Wondered if anyone could tell me anything about it?

It is stamped "..... & Gale Ltd. - London - 1922" Going to display it with my '18 MKIII* and a Royal Irish Hooked Baynoet.

Thanks for taking a look!
- Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
It is an ammunition bandolier from the 1903 Pattern Equipment.
Supplanted by the 1908 pattern for infantry but maintained for use by mounted troops and artillery up through the 30s.

Everything you could want to know about them can be found here

The '5-pouch' (as per the OPs picture) was used by the infantry.
The cavalry (as they did not carry a back-pack) used a 9-pouch version with the additional 4-pouches across their back, and, they could / did also carry an additional 9-pouch version around their horses neck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Five pocket pouch also issued to non-cavalry mounted troops such as ASC wagon drivers and associated crew, horse drawn artillery crews etc. The P08 web set didn't work well for people who had to sit a horse or vehicle so they got the P03 bandoleers.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Grace's Guide to British Industrial History lists the company:

1920 Public company, Barrow, Hepburn and Gale, was incorporated to merge 2 companies - Samuel Barrow and Brother and Hepburn, Gale and Ross.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Barrow,_Hepburn_and_Gale

So it looks like the Bandolier is post 1920 manufacture.
It would be PRE 1920 going by that. Take a look at the photo and you'll see Gale is last. Then again the date does appear to be 1922. Something is amiss.

Thanks all the same for finding that site.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
HGR (Hepburn, Gale and Ross) manufactured large quantities of leather equipment for the British Army 14-18 including big contracts for P1907 Bayonet scabbards where there HGR mark is fairly common.
Their address at that time was Grange Mills, Grange Road, Bermondsey, SE1 which was later to become the location of the merged concern

I am not sure I understand your comment JB White

HGR merged with SB&B (Samuel Barrow and Bro. a leather tanner/supplier) in 1920 to form Barrow, Hepburn and Gale Ltd.

As far as I can see, although the start is unclear to me the ending appears to be "....GALE Ltd" as you suggest -- which would be consistent with the merged concern of "Barrow, Hepburn and Gale" and the 1922 date.

EDIT: Barrow Hepburn and Gale also got large contracts in WWII to produce over 200,000 scabbards for the p1907 Bayonet

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
For some reason I misinterpreted this:

1920 Public company, Barrow, Hepburn and Gale, was incorporated to merge 2 companies - Samuel Barrow and Brother and Hepburn, Gale and Ross. Acquired Richard Hodgson and Sons Ltd, of Beverley, which had been supplying Barrows for many years
The first time I read it I got it backwards. A dyslexic moment I guess?

·
8,107 Posts
"Neatsfoot Oil"

Available from any Equestrian / Horse Tack supplies shop (or Ebay. Amazon etc)
A little goes a long way.
Good advice Alan, I will add one word to it though. PURE neatsfoot oil, NOT neatsfoot oil compound that is commonly available. It is harder to find and is somewhat more expensive but well worth looking for. And "A little goes a long way" is good advice as well, do not drown the leather.

Mike, read Karkee Webs"s article on P1903 items at:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/1903main.html

You will find the articles informative.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just one observation on the use of neatsfoot oil and other leather treatments. There is a division of approach between those seeking to preserve and curate artifacts (longterm preservation and or restoration) and those seeking to USE items. Neatsfoot oil and such leather conditioners are intended to protect the item during use and maintain suppleness etc - this is not always recommended by conservation professionals who are seeking to preserve and protect items long term. Sometimes the two goals are in conflict.

There was an excellent, if slightly technical review of some of the options provided by a member on another discussion board that might be of interest, and specifically relates to this type of leather equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info from all. Thank you!

Started getting the one buckle into the correct position and found this stamp on the other buckle's tab. Appears to be "H.G.R. 18". Perhaps wartime surplus that was reused in 1922?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.