Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Now that I bought this gun, can anyone tell me any more about it?
My copy of Spanish Handguns doesn't mention it at all (the M yes, but not the MI).
I could use takedown instructions, diagrams, history, quirks, the usual.
Also, these mags look an awful lot like Hi Power mags. Are they?
Who owns one and what have your experiences been?

TIA

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found this quote on this site:

http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml

"I have encountered a very few model 30 MI variants. Almost all of these are also stamped "Starfire." Though I am not aware of any differences between the basic model 30M and the the model 30MI, the one reader who is sure of his pistol's provenance knows it came from Israel. Though Star did not generally give customer-specific suffixes (I for Israel), its a common in the defense industry, so may explain this variant."

That is a very good website on Stars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
CDMead,

Thanks, that provided most of what I needed.
Have stripped, cleaned and removed idiot magazine safety.
These are quite well built!
Removing mag safety lightened up the SA trigger pull a bit.
Didn't alleviate however (as I wouldn't expect) the absolutely awful trigger creep.
As soon as I can test fire this little beauty she's going to relieve my car gun; a beautiful condition Argentine .45 which I would hate to lose.
The Argentine goes to safer digs in the safe and Star gets to, well, shine!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
I am opening myself up for a potential "I stand corrected"...but when I bought my Star MI some info I gathered seemed to suggest that the MI designation was for an India contract over run.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
I am opening myself up for a potential "I stand corrected"...but when I bought my Star MI some info I gathered seemed to suggest that the MI designation was for an India contract over run.
Indeed, it was. Most of the overrun went to the USA. A few may have gone elsewhere, including to countries whose names start with "I".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't rely on a 28 or 31 manual if you want to take apart the safety and extractor. They are all different from each other. Other than that the disassembly is the same and a lot of parts will interchange. Also, the I in MI is for an India contract.

To disassemble the safety, first take out the firing pin and the pin/plug to the right of the firing pin. Then push in the pin in the center of the right side safety lever and slide the lever off. Then turn the safety so the detent is out of its hole and slide it out. The spring and extractor will come out after the safety is out.

I had to replace my extractor spring and then had to polish and smooth the safety detent because the new spring made it stiffer to operate. The 30 MI extractor shares the same spring as the safety detent. The spring tension is also the only thing holding in the extractor. I'm glad I took it apart though because I found a lot of dirt under the extractor on an other wise spotless gun.

The High power mags won't fit but the Smith and Wesson model 59 mags will fit. However, they won't hold open the slide after the last shot and you can't use them with a magazine safety. Mag Pro still makes magazines for the 30MI in 10 and 15 round. Midway has some 15 round ones listed on their web sight for just under $20. Original mags are the best quality but lots of luck finding originals for a reasonable price.

By the way, the 30M 9mm magazines also work in the 31P .40 caliber with out modification. I have a 31P and 30 MI and like both guns a lot. They are accurate and pleasant to shoot thanks to all the heavy Spanish steel.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
When you actually sit down at a bench and try it, you'll find that most Model 28 and Model 30 parts will NOT interchange. And practically none fit the Model 31. Each gun has its own manual, and that's the one that should be used.

As for mags, why monkey around with makeshift substitutes and aftermarket crap when "STAR" on this forum has brand-new originals for sale, reasonably priced? If the holdopen won't work, the gun won't signal when it's empty. In a critical situation, that could cost you a lot of unpleasantness.

Star factory .40S&W and 9mm Para. mags are not the same. There is a significant dimensional difference in the span between the lips, which affects the height of presentation of the top cartridge. They may interfit and function more or less satisfactorily in some guns, depending on individual tolerances, but the mag lips are optimized only for the specified caliber. In marginal conditions with the wrong mag, reliability may suffer.

Model 28, 30 and 31 mags in 9mm are identical. Model 31 .40S&W mags are easily distinguished by the absence of loading indicator holes in the body.

M

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike.
What is your opinion of this weapon in general? And what parts if any are known to break with any regularity?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Thanks Mike.
What is your opinion of this weapon in general? And what parts if any are known to break with any regularity?

If not neglected, the barrels are known to wear out after about 70,000 rounds.

In my safe resides a Star Model 30 that is documented to have fired, at last count, 105,220 rounds. Every so often, when I hear whimpering inside the safe, I take this gun out and put another 50 rounds through it, just to make it happy.

M

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,
Gee only 105,000 rounds!!??? I dunno... well, maybe I'll give her a probationary period.

I just love the fact that you can buy a really fine weapon for a song.

Keep that "soft Spanish steel" myth going guys. It really is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
MGMike

I agree that you should use the the original magazines if you can find them [they are the best quality] but the $60 to $70 that people around here charge is an insult. Especially when after market mags are available for $20. Also, consider what a critical situation is. Is only shooting at the range a critical situation? If not, then after market mags that work will do fine. Also, consider if you already have original mags and just want extra range mags. The correct manual should also be used but you probably won't find a 30M manual posted on line and that link posted by CDmead will lead you to use the incorrect manual. Although, it will work up to a point.

As for the .40 and 9mm mags being interchangeable, I have used the 30M 9mm mags in my .40 31P several times and it has surprised me that it has functioned flawlessly without adjusting the feed lips. However the .40 will not work in the 9mm because of the feed lip dimensions. I have seen others do this in other brands of guns that are made in different calibers but I don't know about their reliability. The correct mag would be best but the .40 31P mags are not easy to find and I don't consider an inexpensive range gun important enough that I would pay a thieves price here or go all the way to Spain for 1 or 2 extra mags. Why should I if the after market mags work. The bottom line is if it works reliably or not and it has for me.

I posted my exprience and information not just for DavidKachel but for anyone who has a 30M or 31P. Take what you can use and ignore what you can't. I could have used some of the disassembly information when I bought my 30M. Instead I was lead to use the incorrect manual and had to figure out the unconventional extractor disassembly. Hopefully I can save someone else some trouble and money.

Are you in a gun related business? I have read several of your posts and get the impression you have more than just a mild experience with guns and Star in particular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts