Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I bought some 303 ammo packed 32 rounds to a box, and it is marked, broad-arrow "I.S.A.A."

Then stamped in black ink at an angle, "Lot/RG23/45"

What arsenal is I.S.A.A.?

Thanks, ARG

·
Gold Bullet member
2,927 Posts
I wanna say Pakistani repack of Radway Green. I've not found others who pack them in 32 round boxes.

ISAA should stand for "Inspectorate of Small Arms and Ammunition"

·
Copper Bullet member
9,575 Posts
I would guess British, Radway Green, 1945.

·
2,753 Posts
I think the markings mean it was made by Radway Green in 1923 and then inspected and re-packed in 1945. Can you see if the cases are headstamped "RG 23 MkVII"

Edit: Apologies for getting this one wrong- I've learned something again today from TonyE (see posting below) Thankyou.

·
Registered
637 Posts
RG

Radway Green did not exist in 1923. Production started there in 1940 so it will be 1945 production. Also, the mark number in the headstamp would be "7" not "Mk VII" as Britain switched from Roman to Arabic numerals for the Mark number in 1945.

What is unusual is the stamp with "Lot", as this was not normally applied to British ammo. The usual practice was to stamp what is called the "Date of Work" which would be something like "RG31.3.45A"

Regards
TonyE

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I wanna say Pakistani repack of Radway Green. I've not found others who pack them in 32 round boxes.

ISAA should stand for "Inspectorate of Small Arms and Ammunition"
If I remember correctly, we used to get RG packed in 32 round boxes at school.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"I've not found others who pack them in 32 round boxes."

The ISAA packed ammunition in 32 round boxes---here's a photo.
This box is "CP"-Crompton Parkinson Ltd. other boxes in the same case held Greenwood & Bately and Dominion.
The ammunition was repacked by the ISAA in South Africa in 1945.
-----krinko

·
Gold Bullet member
2,927 Posts
Ok, ok. :eek: There are lots of 32 round boxes. To be fair, though, I said, "I've not found others..." :D I haven't found them. I guess others have.

·
Registered
637 Posts
RG

If I remember correctly, we used to get RG packed in 32 round boxes at school.
You certainly did. I used thousands of rounds of it when I was at school, both in rifles and Bren guns. There were a few advantages to being a cadet armourer!

Regards
TonyE

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I posted some pics. Please see the beginning of the post.....

Regards, ARG

·
Administrator
9,777 Posts
ISAA and other matters...

Originally, "ISAA"stood for "Inspectorate of Small Arms Ammunition" ; whereas a separate "ISA" (Inspectorate of Small Arms) looked after small arms; After WW II, the two offices combined, and for a short time the initials were "ISA&A" then only ISAA, meaning Now, Inspectorate of Small Arms & Ammunition.

"H32xx" is a label identifier...all SAA Labels had their own "H" design number, as did ammunition containers (Boxes, crates, tins, steel chests, etc)

Lot 23/45: NOT (as Tony correctly says) for delivery to the British Government, but an order for the Royal Hellenic Army ( Britain was re-arming the Greek forces in its civil war with the communist partisans). Britain supplied Greece with ammo from R^L (1945 date in full) RG (Lot numbers) and also GB, along with HN repacks ( re-chesting or checking) of other ammo (CP, DAC, U and U<>, Aussie etc).
The change from Mark "VII" to "7" occurred at different times for different factories in the period late 44 to late 45, and the labels would also be different from the contents.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics

1 - 14 of 14 Posts