Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Based on your serial, its a Vetterli issued to the Swiss Army in 1889.

There are no records or any data at all about privately/other sold Vetterlis. Apparently there have been gunsmiths who sold Vetterlis to foreign countries. So there is a slim chance its legit but I think its fake. First because of the serial and second because of what DaSwede said.

I'm also not aware of a contract for the Indian Police. And thats something there'd be records of.

There have been Vetterlis sold to Finland and some small batches/trial weapons made for England, France, Russia, Turkey and Italy. Finland sold its stock by 1960 so MAYBE thats the source but again,the serial points to a Swiss Army issue.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
looks like a fantasy piece.

Here in the US I have never seen anything lie that. A lot of Vetterlis were sold in the 1911 time period, well after the Indian police were a big issue in the late 1880s to early 1890s. Besides all Indian issue arms were generally older US arms (such as Remington 1875 revolvers, Spencer carbines and the like) and I have never seen one with a bad mounted to the stock. The best you might find is an issue mark and generally any armed used by the Indians is in very ratty shape.

American Indians, I refer to.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,483 Posts
=
with out any thing to prove such as paper work , I'd have to say its fake too, I'd like to see some better pix of that forearm , and the barrel and the mag tub , I think its that's photo shopped in on the pix, to shoot a 41 Swiss the mag tube has to be bigger than the barrel, about the same size as a 20 gag shot gun , in the pix the barrel and tub looks about the same size , and the sights are wrong , to be a Swiss conversion,
neat looking rifle , another question why would the Indian police go with a 41 Swiss cartridge , I would think they would go with the 44/40 ,not saying you couldn't convert a Swiss Vetterli to the 44/40 , but why , more questions than answers , also I think the Indian police were issued the Remington KEEN in 45/70

NORM

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On Naturabuy http://www.naturabuy.fr many good guns,hand guns,and accessories,scopes,but also some bad sellers purpose false things at prices :p....as this Vetterli,or a Uberti Walker,rusted,and deccapping with acid or white vinegar at ...1000 €!!

i and my friends of http://www.tirmaillyforum.com,looks for there bad guys...and generaly,sells are broken!

with our posts to Naturabuy,this sell is broken.

thank's to all for your help!

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
Bannerman handled a lot of Swiss Vetterlis at the Turn of the century, converting most of them into 2-shot "Farm Guns" for which Remington made a .41 RF Swiss Shot cartridge, as well as Ball. ( Till 1941).
This could possibly be one of those "Bannermann Guns" ( I have one in Australia, a "Farm Gun", Tube Mag removed, room for one cartridge in Chamber, one in elevator.) I don't know haw many remained as "Ball Rifles with complete Mags" but a conversion to look like a Winchester is not beyond Bannerman's possibilities, given the Variety of Mauser-Springfied-Krag put-togethers he produced in the 1890s-1920s.

I think the Badge is Spurious.

Just a thought to stir the Pot a little.

Doc AV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.