Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on this rifle

I recently read on another forum where there are some concerns on actually firing this rifle in the rechambered .308 NATO Round. That the Spec's on bore and barrel may not be to the correct specs. I have one and over the Christmas Break its going to get a total stripping and cleaning. But I am not in the mood for a bolt in the face if there are issues with this rifle in the NATO .308.

Any thoughts

Thanks
SWD

·
Gold Bullet member
762 Posts
Which forum?
Also please search this forum's archives, there has been volumes written on this subject. I personally have shot South African milsurp through mine with no ill effects.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Keep in mind the 2A is NOT rechambered, it was made that way.
I do shoot mine for whatever that is worth.
Haven't heard of any blowing up with service ammunition. Hot reloads are a different matter.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
2a

The 2A is built for the 7.62x51 NATO round. That about being rechambered is a myth. Stick to NATO ammo and you shouldn't have any trouble. Heck I shoot mine with Barnaul .308, not one problem. I have looked high and low on this subject. I have never seen any catastophic failures in this rifle. Even the great perpetuator of this nosense, "_ _ _ _ _ _ Arms", now sells them after spreading loads of BS about expanding receivers and how they become out of spec only after a few shots. My 2a is extremely accurate.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,572 Posts
I can't believe all the internet-know-it-all-foolishness I read on this subject. I shoot any and all 7.62/.308 in my 2A1, without fear or concern. I got flat primers with Wolf .308, stopped using it, no problem. People confuse the real concern of reloading hot .308 loads into 7.62 NATO cases with the functional interchangeability of factory .308 and 7.62 ammo.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
The Australians did the research on the conversion to 7.62 NATO on their Lithgow No.1 Enfield’s and proved it could be done, the Indians appear to have had access to the Australian research and technical information.

You have to learn which stupid internet rumor to believe when reading what is said on the internet, I was told that Vegemite was used in the heat treating process by Skennerton. :rolleyes: (Stupid sick internet humor rumor)

In the second photo the last sentence tells all you need to know.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
As a side note the only real problem the Indian Ishapore 2A1 rifles have is a slight overheating problem when firing long extended bursts;):rolleyes::D

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
sell it

I wil take this rifle off your hands so you do not have to worry!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Give it to meeee

I have 2 of these and a third on the way , BTW they are 1966 , 67 , 68 and they are a hoot to shoot , I have put through commercial 308 and a sh1t load of ex mil 7.62 and no dramas at all.

If you dont want to shoot it , throw it in the post to Downunder and i'll look after it for you.

Enjoy it , the people that said it was a rechambering dont know squat.

Enjoy it

pugs....

·
Registered
20 Posts
TW 68

I recently obtained a 2A1 mfg in 1968. I'm firing some US surplus 7.62mm, TW '68 in it and I've measured the fired case length against the unfired and it measures .002 consistently. My Rem 700 and Win 70 (both target rifles) give me .004 on fired cases. I was very surprised to say the least. However, the rifle is giving me 10 inch groups at 100'. I've done nothing to the rifle accept clean the bore and fire it. Dennis

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,538 Posts
I recently obtained a 2A1 mfg in 1968. I'm firing some US surplus 7.62mm, TW '68 in it and I've measured the fired case length against the unfired and it measures .002 consistently. My Rem 700 and Win 70 (both target rifles) give me .004 on fired cases. I was very surprised to say the least. However, the rifle is giving me 10 inch groups at 100'. I've done nothing to the rifle accept clean the bore and fire it. Dennis
Does it pass the muzzle test? That said, I would probably shoot 10 inch groups using those hard to see irons the Indians put on those rifles even with a new barrel and spot on headspace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Muzzle Test?

Does it pass the muzzle test? That said, I would probably shoot 10 inch groups using those hard to see irons the Indians put on those rifles even with a new barrel and spot on headspace.
What is and how do you perform the muzzle test? The muzzle shows no nicks or dents and appears good. If there is wear at the muzzle mouth from cleaning, it isn't readily apparent. When I got the rifle, it was coated in the black paint and showed no wear on any of the parts except the bolt and receiver rails.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,538 Posts
What is and how do you perform the muzzle test? The muzzle shows no nicks or dents and appears good. If there is wear at the muzzle mouth from cleaning, it isn't readily apparent. When I got the rifle, it was coated in the black paint and showed no wear on any of the parts except the bolt and receiver rails.
The muzzle test is done by taking a cartridge and seeing how far into the muzzle the bullet goes before it stops. If the bullet slides all the way in up to the top of the case, the barrel is probably shot out. I have a Mosin Nagant like this despite the fact it looks like it has plenty of rifling. With my Enfields, I have between an eighth and a quarter of an inch of bullet showing.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Huh

The muzzle test is done by taking a cartridge and seeing how far into the muzzle the bullet goes before it stops. If the bullet slides all the way in up to the top of the case, the barrel is probably shot out. I have a Mosin Nagant like this despite the fact it looks like it has plenty of rifling. With my Enfields, I have between an eighth and a quarter of an inch of bullet showing.
Are you sure your Mosin isn't counter bored?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,538 Posts
Are you sure your Mosin isn't counter bored?
Yep. It just has an enormous bore at the muzzle despite rifling that is visible and "feelable" with a plastic probe. It is a 1942 or 43 Izhevsk with a Triangle 25 mark, which is the only reason I bought it. From what others have posted, visible rifling but failed bullet tests are not unusual on Mosins from this period due to the poor tolerances that developed during the height of Russia's panic production. Besides, I have a counterbored M38 and the muzzle looks totally different.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Muzzle wear

Obtained a Stone Axe muzzle gauge from a friend and my barrel measures a 1. So, since the chamber is tight and the muzzle wear is non-existent, the large group is probably the result of bedding and ammunition. I'll play with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
OK

Yep. It just has an enormous bore at the muzzle despite rifling that is visible and "feelable" with a plastic probe. It is a 1942 or 43 Izhevsk with a Triangle 25 mark, which is the only reason I bought it. From what others have posted, visible rifling but failed bullet tests are not unusual on Mosins from this period due to the poor tolerances that developed during the height of Russia's panic production. Besides, I have a counterbored M38 and the muzzle looks totally different.:)
As long as you know the difference. Its just unusual to find one that isn't counterbored. I know there are plenty, but I guess you have a prime example of why they were counterbored. Most of the Mosin's I have were made in 43 and 44. They are rough but my best shooter is a 43 Iz m38.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
2a

FWIW I had the best luck removing the crappy black paint with Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Wear gloves b/c it will eat your skin off. Don't get it on the wood either. It left the park intact as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts