Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had issues with independence 556 blown primers and is federal doing anything about it?i know my local gun store had one where the bcg got jammed so bad they had to send it to the maker and they blamed the ammo which was independence.i also see a lot online about it.i have a bunch I bough awhile back now im wondering if its safe

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
No issues with primers but I had massive extraction issues. The extracting case would get jammed up over the round being chambered and forced up over the bolt. The rifle was a stock Colt 6920. Tried PPU, AE and Wolf Gold without issue. A few weeks prior that same rifle went through a rifle class firing close to a case of ammo. The weather was cold and raining which later turned to snow. Ammo used was Wolf Gold that day. Not so much as a hiccup

Whether it's my rifle or the ammo or a combination I don't know but with so many other choices ill just avoid Independence

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, I have seen the owner of Sigforum mention this problem in a million posts. Might go over there, and do a search.

Interesting to also see some chronograph work done on this ammo, results in some velocities in excess of 3250 fps out of a 16" barrel! Not that this fact necessarily relates directly to/cause of the issues folks are seeing, just if this is the case for all of their "M193" type ammo, that velocity is WAY fast for a 16" barrel - My M193 clone reloads run about 3070-3125 fps from my 16" IMI Galil FWIW. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts