Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a militaria forum and this thread may be OT, but I am so excited by this, I had to share it with somebody.

Today at work I was scheduled to meet with a client from West Texas. With her was an elderly gentleman, about late sixties. My client says this is her dad and introduces him as
XXXXX Guderian. Being a WW2 panzer history buff, I jokingly said "any relationship to Heinz Guderian" To my utter amazement he says in a broad West Texas drawl " yes he was my grandfather" Well you could have blown me over with a feather.

Turns out Heinz's one son, the youngest, moved to Lubbock, Texas after the war and lived there. He married a local girl. His son, the one I met, carried on in the family business, and later moved to my part of the world.

His grandson told me his sister has a portrait of Heinz, signed, somewhere in West Texas.

Can you imagine getting that as a piece of history.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You know guys, I was a young man who was fortunate to be able to talk to many vets, from both sides. During my university post graduate training training in NYC back in 1967, among my fellow classmates was a veteran of the bulge,A B17 ball turret gunner,a member of the Hitler Youth and a former Japanese naval officer. We were first a little shy, but as we got to know each other, we became good friends and shared many of our WW2 experiences. Mine were as a child.

My memorable meetings were with Bernard Montgomery who attended our boy scout jamboree and the legless British ace, Douglas Bader Many ex German army soldiers came to South Africa post war and I became good friends with their children in the early nineteen fifties, some of who saw combat as 13 year olds. Their stories were amazing. Most thought Hitler was a God and were terrified of him.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Hello Waffenlandser. Great story thanks for sharing. I recently got to met an older fellow that flew with Pappy Boyington. Talk about a great experience!
I got to meet the pilot who discovered that Boyinton was still alive at war's end. He was flying scouting missions over Japanese POW camps in advance of the allies reaching them. One day he flew over one, and the POWs had painted "Boyington Here" on the roof of a building. That was the first the allies had heard of him since he disapeared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.