Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy has an opportunity to buy an Enterprise Arms L1A1, inch pattern, 24.5" barrel and a L2A2 SUIT/Trilux 4× telescopic sight, for about $2,200. Without the scope that might seem high to me but I don't really know. With the scope it might be a deal - again I don't know.

We've both been kicking ourselves at missing the boat on the cool "Hebrew War Hammers" and now he's got an FAL bug, of which I thoroughly approve. :cool:

I don't know what to tell him on this one though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Related, what would the Rhodesians and South Africans have used back in the 1970s and '80s - Inch or Metric?

(The answer may be "whatever they could get" but I don't know.)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I'm not sure 100%, but I'd feel better in the 1800.00 range+- assuming the scope's worth about 200.00. I've had one of these(Entreprise L1A1) for several yrs and love it! I have a Leoupold Rifleman scope on it and a 5 rnder mag I use for deer hunting as the 20 rnd gets in the way in a deer stand.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I'm not sure 100%, but I'd feel better in the 1800.00 range+- assuming the scope's worth about 200.00.
those scopes with the original L1A1 cover mount are double that price, there is one on GB with a current bid of 455 bucks. I have seen others that sold for 400+

In my opinion the Australian L1A1 are the best looking FALs out there, which drove me to buy that kit, those kits didn't come in by the train car loads like the metric version, those kits were expensive even then, being sold in the 300 dollar range Vs. metric 70-90 dollar. ENTERPRISE were the only manufacturer of true inch receiver, and not the hacked on metric receivers that were made to fit the inch pattern kit

so yeah, L1A1 on a true inch receiver with the correct TRIUX scope is worth that kind of money

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
here is mine that I had built, back in the day, on a ENTERPRISE receiver with the TRILUX scope

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Yes, Metric, there was an Arms Embargo from the British Commonwealth because of Apartheid politics.

OK, Details, Details.
Is it a Brit SUIT, or an Izzy (modded) one?
Is the mount:
A: original.
B: aftermarket copy.
C: TAPCO clone for the Weaver rail.

A few things that many miss.
The Izzy modded SUITS do NOT fit the CRAPCO rail!
(They changed the "zig-zag" spring for a "figure 8" one. Then they discovered it didn't work, so they added a coil spring & "hooks" underneath. This fouls the CRAPCO alloy mount & refuses to let the SUIT ever find zero.) They also have a screw clamping the removal lever & ruining any QD feature.

A metric dust cover used to build an aftermarket "T-Bar mount" (no tabs) were ONLY spot welded to an adapter wich was rivetted (rather poorly) to the original dust cover & they tend to seperate rather easily, dumping the Trilux on the ground. Both the soft rivets & the crappy spot welds could (& Did) fail!

A real inch dust cover has tabs that fit into matching slots in the rear of the receiver, if your receiver does not have those matching cuts it wont fit unless they're ground off. This reduces its value.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does the receiver have the Buena Park or Irwindale address?
My Entréprise Arms receiver has no name or address:

I've had the weapon for over 20 years. I even called Entréprise Arms and based on the serial number, they verified that yes, it was one of their receivers. Many strange things could be found at the old Los Angeles Gun Show.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,907 Posts
Related, what would the Rhodesians and South Africans have used back in the 1970s and '80s - Inch or Metric?

(The answer may be "whatever they could get" but I don't know.)
Metric. The Commonwealth stayed out of the fray.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Prior to 6 months ago when prices started to really climb, $2200 would be really too high. Now maybe just too high.

My recollection is that not all Enterprise receivers were equally well thought of in the marketplace. Early ones marked Buena Park, which often also have a small ABNI stamp above the locking shoulder, were made by LMT and carry a premium. Production later shifted in house to Enterprises facility in Irwindale. So address on receiver matters for resale (sorry, I'm always thinking resale when I buy because eventually my tastes change and sell to get something new.)

Assuming the Trilux is in good shape with a real inch mount, that seems like a $400 purchase all day. So you're talking $1800. If it's Buena Park/ABNI, then that's probably $400 too high but with fear about a new administration coming in, you have to decide if you buy now to avoid regretting later.

The short version, is get it for $2000 if Buena with a good Trilux. Otherwise walk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts