Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to move. Been going through some of my stuff. I was looking at some of my FAL items. Was trying to figure out the receiver that has "S" "R" and "A" on it. What Commonwealth Country would this be from?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
UE is Enfield UK The other one is Australian. S, R, A are safe, repeating, auto. Those receivers don't require FFL to buy or sell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
FAL lowers are not the "receiver" under US regs. The Upper is. different from AR platforms.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yes but like Chris said the upper receiver on a FAL is the part that would have to go through a FFL. The lower would be what came with the parts kit after the rifle had been demilled.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Thanks. I understand one is regulated and one is not but aren't both receivers?
Nope technically & administratively only one part can b e the receiver. On the FAL its the upper, because the BATF decided the major difference between a semi auto & a full auto was the ejector block. Which is in the upper.
(I never said it makes sense)!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Question: As far as I know Australia never built an automatic or select fire L1A1, only a semi auto. If this is correct, would the Aussie lower have the A on the selector?

FYI: I am looking to build a late 1960s Australian inch pattern - trying to make it as authentic as possible under the law. Collecting parts now, especially anything stamped 1968. I just missed an upper a few months ago stamped AD68XXX - you have to be quick! 'gards.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
No. They all had the 2position safety but it wasn't the parts responsible for full auto operation anyway. Depending on the setup "A" would be a second safe or the hammer would follow the bolt down with no force so not hitting the primer. That was done by simply swapping the selector.
The F/A parts were in the upper.
However the Inch pattern safety lever had a triangular "flap" which blocked rotating to to the "A" position.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The Inch lower without the "A" marking is from the UK, although it still has the notch cut. If the shooter grinds off the tab (flap) on the selector, he can rotate the selector to the Auto position. Everything is ready for the rock-n-roll in the military L1A1.

The same thing is in the metric world. Grinding off the tab on the "R" marked selector, your FAL can shoot full auto.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Inch lower without the "A" marking is from the UK, although it still has the notch cut. If the shooter grinds off the tab (flap) on the selector, he can rotate the selector to the Auto position. Everything is ready for the rock-n-roll in the military L1A1.

The same thing is in the metric world. Grinding off the tab on the "R" marked selector, your FAL can shoot full auto.
Ah, no. Not true, at least with most "l1A1" builds. See pkonker's response above.

There is enough disinformation out there, that even humor on this matter is not a good thing. I suggest reading the afterword in The FAL Primer.

Chris

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Any legal civilian build gun is no-starter for full auto. Is there even a question on that? No matter how you change the lower, you don't have a place to install the auto sear.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What you are showing is the trigger housing, not the receiver of an L1A1 (or FAL). Even ignoring what ATF says for a minute, a rifle's receiver is rigidly attached to at least the barrel, generally speaking. The barrel is not rigidly connected to the trigger housing of the L1A1, and moreover the bolt is not even positioned within the trigger housing, either. In no way can the trigger housing be considered a "receiver," or a "lower receiver," or any other kind of receiver.

Also, rotating the selector lever to "A" -- no matter how that's accomplished on a non-NFA rifle, does not change operation to full-auto. The safety sear must be installed, and that is only possible in those rifles that were built with ejector blocks capable of accepting the part of the safety sear that permits full-auto operation. And neither BSA nor Enfield installed those ejector blocks, IIRC. Lithgow and Canada did, however. The full-auto ejector block or the safety sear or both are NFA-registered parts. Play at your substantial risk.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! This forum is a wealth of information! So, on the Ausie L2A1 lower (non receiver) I could add an additional mark after the "A"...perhaps a "3" so that I could swing that selector to it and have three-round-burst capabilities?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You can move the selector to the A marked position or 3 marked position (no such position). However, you won't get burst. Do you think ATF will allow such easy conversion?

ATF made this mistake with the G series and they have learned its lesson. The full auto trick is in the upper receiver. The ATF made sure the upper will have no more sear cut.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
I'm afraid not.
Brit L1A1s were semi only as issued, you have to replace the selector because there is no F/A notch in the shaft.
The UPPERS are configured with the F/A ejector block & safety sear though, that may be what you're thinking of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for clarification on the "A" selector on the Aussie receivers.

PS: I have no plans to jerry-rig a F/A Fal too expensive on the ammo.:)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Again, the trick of the full auto is in the upper receiver. The lower is only a trigger housing.

It's very common to find R marked selectors that are ground off its beak, in order to move to the A position. As a result, the unmolested R selectors are worth a small fortune now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts