Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If something happens, there's probably going to be a lot physical activity. There's going to be a lot of walking. Hunting, gathering, all take stamina. Chances are, we'll have to carry everything we need with us.

If something happened today, how many people are are in shape/conditioned to survive? Be honest.

·
Administrator
17,981 Posts
My frail and elderly relatives wouldn't make it as far as I would and I'm too fat (and it's too hot) to walk past the end of the block, so forget about walking out of harms way. I hope not to have to go anywhere, but if I do I'm driving. If the roads are impassible I'm getting everyone on a boat. Remember the discussion "choices for the crippled zone retreat," and of "the seaborne retreat"? You don't have to go out very far or very long, just too far offshore for the hordes to see you or try to swim to you and just long enough for the fires to burn themselves out both metaphorically and in actuality. It never hurts to get in better shape though, does it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not just conditioning but technique too. I'm 55 and can easily out ski most of the younger folks I know because I raced as a kid and young adult. I'll never quit skiing as I've known guys in their 90s that were still out skating and kicking and gliding. Cross country skiing saved me when I was younger and has kept me fit and real happy. My diet is another as I never eat flesh. I would have to change that in a real shtf situation but it'll be mostly elk and brook trout. Living at 7,200 feet with regular trips above 10,000 keeps me in shape for the altitude too.

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
46,373 Posts
Darwin's Law would set in almost instantly. I'm diabetic and with meds I'm toast. I'm not on insulin, but none the less, decline would be rapid I am sure many millions would pass away within a week of their last pill on may things besides diabetes. Survival is a young person's game. The old, lame, and the halt would have short shelf life in a even a moderate 1-3 month survival scenario.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Nassaulakes

i would say that would be true

for young and old alike as has

been proven by pograms of the past

fiveshot

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
well, I am diabetic too, and insulin dependent to boot. BUT, smart use of my resources would prolong my life longer then a few weeks. And if things are REALLY bad, I figure I can get my hands on SOME insulin. And, excercise helps your body use insulin far more efficiently, requiring less of it, and making a bottle last longer. I would be dead, but I would last a lot longer then a few weeks. And when I ran out of insulin......I don't know what i would do. Try to survive off of vegetables as long as possible.....Eventually, facing permenant high blood sugar and kidney failure, I might just swallow a bullet. I know, thats an terribly dark thing to contemplate. But thats it. The reality. But most importantly, I would make the time to ensure my familys safety first......

These are also the reasons I hope that this never comes to pass.....

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
If I was Diabetic you would see me in the only situation I would warrant "Foraging" as acceptable(same for any life threatening deal. I will just break out in hives from head to toe and itch like hell). Walgreen's beware... Alan, you would shed those pounds in a jiffy if this sort of thing set in. I still keep my 34s just in case I ever get skinny again, but my weight fluctuates 25 Lbs. in and out.

Biathalon, I look up to guys like you. My dad is 71 and will outwork me daily. It's really funny to watch him get around because he's supposed to be a senior citizen...

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
A few years left.

have been EATING PROPER SINCE before 40 YEARS OLD. gout-
been cutting progressively my meds, monitoring my health, rotating out oldest- meds cutting in half when healthy or not taking at all, found extra 6 months worth( when a medicine change of a friend- already bought stuff. and another gave me theirs extra 3 scrips gout meds too).
now after a year and DR. changes up dated scripts- i have more than a years supply if careful rotating stash of gout and high blood pressure meds oldest first.
stayed in shape, blood pressure not very high off meds, walk plenty everyday, water addict and can pack a 60 lbs alice pack a good distance in the woods to one stash mre's when hunting in usually bow place or motivated.
and in that situation i would get lighter and the pack- healthier daily. .
HOPEFULLY- but i'm old that can change tomorrow. and the there that sniper hide we all have in mind. :eek:<><dk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm.. Well I have certainly been in better shape, but I can bicycle twenty miles pretty easily and run 2 and cc skied 10 miles this winter no problem. I know I can carry a 60lb pack ten miles. I would need to lose 30lbs to be any kind of "good shape" but I can lose ten/week just by skipping lunch and going for a run. Smoke 5 cigs/ day and that needs to go.

Moreover I came from a pretty healthy and long lived family- all my Grandparents lived into their 90's (or are living today) and my Mom's dad was chopping wood and shovelling snow until 89- and even now at 93 he keeps pretty busy. I also have a healthy teenager to do the heavy lifting! :p

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Up until I started working again I was hiking up to 9 miles 3 or 4 times a week carrying a pack at least once during that time. Now I'm not able to get out as often but I figure if you maintain a base level of fitness, keeping heart and lungs strong and muscles built up then your body will react to the challenge and strengthen itself as you go along.

Most of us don't have the time to stay 'special forces' fit, after all if we could we wouldn't need to be paying for others to do it 365 days a year, but some level of activity should get you through the first weeks. After that nature should take it's course for better or worse.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
glad to see i'm not the only fatass around here. ghost, you can ride them horses 20 miles away from the threat, then shoot one and have a couple weeks worth of food.:)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've made an effort to walk during lunch at work. That, added to gardening and yard work is slowly getting me in better shape. It's a start, anyway. I've managed to lose a little weight, but mostly, it's built up my endurance. 30 years ago I ran 3 miles a day. Now, I'm doing good to walk 2 miles a day. Time and gravity are not the friends of my body.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Four years sitting in front of a PC did not only damage my eyes beyond repair but also added extra weight at the waist and reduced useful muscle mass (49) ... So no running around for me. I can still walk a reasonable distance carrying a backpack and I'm sure can get back in shape quickly, but maybe not quickly enough in an emergency situation. My wife (32) and son (18) are in a much better shape, but we have our daugghter (5) to consider ... So I guess for us it will be a home defense scenario. Not many places to run to over here (europe) aniway ... Good part of the deal is we got (more than) enough guns & ammo and there's plenty of small wildlife in the fields outside town. Got a good stash of firewood too.
Brgds, A

Brgds, A

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
glad to see i'm not the only fatass around here. ghost, you can ride them horses 20 miles away from the threat, then shoot one and have a couple weeks worth of food.:)
LOL....nah, I'll just keep riding the horse and eat whatever I want!!!!....LOL

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don't want to hyjack this thread, but horsemeat is actually very healthy and tasty.
Brgds, A

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can still be hung for eating a horse here in Wyoming! There are more horses here than humans. Has anyone else noticed the last coupla years that the cans are harder to open? Seems like my swing away usta always cut the whole lid off but now it doesn't matter what opener I use(other than my p38!)the lid never gets completely cut and they're a real pain in the a$$ to empty. Lemme guess, all our cans are now made in china?

·
Silver Bullet member
52,973 Posts
horese or deer for dinner?

one of our Representatives gave welfare to wild horses nick joe Rayhal-
the other female western rep- suggested we turn them loose in west virginia, because it would take the area of the state to contain them .
now that would be a hunting season got me a palmetto!:thumbsup: --na :tisk: <><dk

·
Administrator
17,981 Posts
I have noticed that since a lot of cans now have pop tops they no longer nest, so it's harder to stack them in the pantry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts