Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Kick off...

Re: Recoil and the 225.

To me it feels a bit snappier than the kick with the 285 grain bullets. Not sure why. But the 8x57 in fast loads seems to me to kick as much as the 9.3x57. Maybe just a personal quirk?

Regardless, recoil of the 9.3x57 is definitely more than a 6.5x55 but not as pronounced as a .375 H&H to me, even when the 9.3 is a light 6 lb 46.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Some stocks designs are also painful to shoot in some calibers....
Very important point here!

More important too for Lefty Larry. Something to take into consideration for lefty's! Old HVA stocks are Right Hand Prejuduced!

Due to the fact that I am left handed/shooting and the older 46 and 146 guns have cast-off, I had to totally reshape the stocks.

On a lark and at risk of ruining the gun, I removed a large amount of the comb and rshaped the slope of the 46...and...voila...

No face kick AT ALL.

The effect was so dramatic, I did it to a few other rifles with the same excellent result. I have a typical Scandinavian "On-Topic" { :D } "long head" with relatively high cheekbones and thus my cure might not work for others, as I am still able to get a low chin/cheek weld on the stock, but now all felt recoil is felt in the hands and shoulder, not the face. With a light rifle like the 46, it is dramatic. The gun was nasty before this stock work, now it is a pussycat.

Here's the 46. You can see the alteration of the comb {the limbsaver was only recently added}:

Top view of another rifle {Off Topic CZ550FS} that shows the exact same modification I made to my Huskies. You can see the slope for left side shooting. I might add, this also sticks the face directly behind the scope and/or sights and does in effect perform the same thing done by cast-on for a lefty without having to bend the stock. Look closely at the comb and you'll see the mod:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
lEFT IS rIGHT AND rIGHT IS lEFT.

Larry: Everyone is different so YMMV, but you may find that left shoulder shooting is uncomfortable with some HVA's due to the stock drop, comb and castoff.

I don't think you will have trouble in the shoulder it but you will probably get it right in the chopper. Stocks seem to almost be made one at a time different each time so there is variation but many have sharp combs and a good deal of castoff. Doesn't make for comfortable portside shooting unless modified.

Mine are some of the most comfortable rifles I have ever shot, but that is after modification to keep them out of my face. Before they were just plain nasty.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
. Perhaps I should look for a 6.5 or 30-06 or .270 but they are scarce compared to the 9.3x57.
Not sure what you mean here, but others can chime in. I do not believe you will get much recoil reduction from a 96-actioned .30-06 {compared to 9.3x57}. Even the 98-actioned 640 series '06's are going to kick like a .30-06.

Maybe I and/or others have been confusing.

A 9.3 is not a hard kicker, but it kicks like a, well, 9.3, not like a .223.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Does a HVA 6.5 or .270 avoid the issues you raise concerning my shooting comfort and safety?
If it has a sharp comb and cast off, No.

C'mon, Larry!

Buy one and shoot it. If it hurts, we can walk you thru a variety of fixes, plastic stocks or not. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.