Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
HVA,s recoil

I originally bought a M46 in 9.3x57 for the thoughts of using cast bullets. I have tried the 285 Prvi Partisan and found that the recoil was not really that bad (but I am pretty hefty myself).

I then bought a 8x57, HVA Commercial with solid left side wall, made in 1945. The recoil from factory rounds seemed sharper than the 9.3x57. The big difference between them is the shape of the butt stock, particularly the comb.

The 8x57, although a bit heavier, has a lot more drop at the butt, and the angle of the top of the cheek area slopes upwards from the butt to the receiver. The 9.3x57, although lighter in weight, does not have nearly as much angle, thus the recoil tends to come back more in line with the bore, and not at an angle which tends to "kick" the muzzle upwards.

There is probably about the same amount of recoil, but the APPARENT recoil is much more noticeable with the 8x57.

I used the 9.3x57 with the 285 for deer this year. More a fun thing than for serious meat gathering ability. November in Manitoba, heavier clothing, lots of deer. Pulled trigger, rifle discharged, deer went down. Did not really notice the recoil. I guess that is all you can ask for in a HUNTING rifle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.