Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Swedish fans,

I am very fond of the Swede craftsmanship which leads me to a youthful yen for a commercial HVA. I adore the 6.5x55 and already have a few military surplus treasures as well as a modern Ruger M77 MKII in this caliber. I also reload for the 30-06 as well as the 8x57 and 6.5x55. I am a real fan of accuracy, too, which I wring out of my 6.5s and 8x57!

How about that renown 9.3x57 about which LeeSpeed raves? I think I just may "need one." I am not fond of recoil and heard that the 9.3x57 is a potent, accurate round that tends to be a light kicker.

Finding a HVA in very good condition at a reasonable price is not easy and as you know there are more than a couple models from which to choose -- should I say "search." I woiuld be interested in your opinion. For what rifle in particular should I be searching and why?

I'd be interested in your thoughts about small ring, large ring, 94/96 and 98 actions, model preferences and any other suggestions that may be helpful in the search of the perfect commercial HVA. I do have a USA 03 FFL so I can use that license for items 50+ years old which helps with cost and shipping on this side of "the pond." Many thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Acutaly, Larry,

There are not many models made as 9.3X57.
You will have three choices, in fact.
First there was the model 46, made from the M/94 action (1927-1937).
From 1937 to 1941, they used FN LR M98 and called it the Model 146.
They made some cosmetic changes to the stock of the M/46 and renamed it Model 46A (1942-1943)

The final decision come to you; the m/46/46B is a light, handy rifle, while the M/146 is of heavier construction. The M/146 action makes it a better choice if one wants to push the 'ol' round to or close modern pressures.
the rest is really what you like; a C.o_O. or a C.o.C. action?....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....not many models made as 9.3X57.
You will have three choices, in fact.
First there was the model 46, made from the M/94 action (1927-1937).
From 1937 to 1941, they used FN LR M98 and called it the Model 146.
They made some cosmetic changes to the stock of the M/46 and renamed it Model 46A (1942-1943)

The final decision come to you; the m/46/46B is a light, handy rifle, while the M/146 is of heavier construction.....
Thanks, Baribal, for simplifying the choices. I'm a simple guy, but I do have "issues" that are not simple.

* I do love handy and light rifles, but I don't like recoil. Those 2 don't typically go together. I note that LeeSpeed has a 46 with a peep sight, and the 146 with a scope version that weighs about 3 1/2 lbs more. With aging eyes I would probably opt for a scope on my rifle.

* I shoot the M/94 COC and like it a lot as my "first Swede love," and the K98 COO -- both with Scout Mounted Scopes and left handed by the way, so the position of the safety for my left thumb and the height of the scope on a commercial HVA in relationship to the action/safety are issues for me! On the bench this doesn't make any differrence. In the field, perhaps a different matter.

* LeeSpeeds reformed Hor 225 gr. sounds very interesting performance and accuracy wise. But I'm not a tinker like he is, so I'm unsure what direction I would go with resizing. I'm not sure where the Hor 225 gr fits in with the "modern higher pressures" but I'm not really in to loading everything to the edge of Maximum. I often tend to look for an accurate load for target work that is on the light side. Of course, the 9.3 is not the typical target rifle...all business. Still, like the 6.5 the velocity is not like the super duper magnums but those ole rounds have a way of doing the job on game and kill just as dead...perhaps more quickly, I'm told.

I did note that LeeSpeed indicated the recoil of the 225 was greater than the Privi 285gr. and that the more he experimented the more he liked the 285gr Privi. Interesting, isn't it? I enjoy so much emailing my good friend regularly, too.

* Another part of my love affair with the Swedes is the slick, smooth bolt/steel and the beautiful wood. Old world craftsmanship is something I treasure highly. What have you observed in the manufacturing transitions through the years about craftsmanship overall and wood?

What insights do you have on the various models given additonal considerations that are particular to Larry? Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Larry,

I can clearly say there's a difference between shooting a m/46 and a M/146. The weight is there for something.
With a M/46 and a factory 285 grains (about 2050 fps) load, with a 6.5 lbs rifle, the recoil velocity is 17.1 ft/sec and the energy is 29.5ft-lbs. While it's not dramatical, it can be considered a bit stout, if not heavy by some, especially without a buttpad. The M/146 is about 1 1/2lbs heavier.
In my own X57 rifles (I mostly hunt with my X62s, though) I only shoot the 285 grains bullets, so, for me it's hard to pronounce, but the physics being what it is, if the recoil is worse with a 232 grains bullet, it must have something to do with pressure/velocity/muzzle blast. The type of pwder and the amount (%) burned inside the chamber/barrel will also play a role in the blast. Well, I did not talk with Lee about that one.
As for stock and finishing quality, as far as I know, all the M/46/46B/146 were stocked with walnut, so, it's not of a big concern, and general quality is typical HVA.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Kick off...

Re: Recoil and the 225.

To me it feels a bit snappier than the kick with the 285 grain bullets. Not sure why. But the 8x57 in fast loads seems to me to kick as much as the 9.3x57. Maybe just a personal quirk?

Regardless, recoil of the 9.3x57 is definitely more than a 6.5x55 but not as pronounced as a .375 H&H to me, even when the 9.3 is a light 6 lb 46.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Agreed for the recoil. When you shoot the 9.3X57, you feel it has plenty of power, but the felt recoil is not that much. Well, all depends where you are standing on the sensibility ladder.

Well, as you point out, the 8X57, expecially with light (say faster) bullets is sometimes hard to handle "blast" wise, and it usually kicks much more than others in light rifles.
Especially in light sporter rifles, like the 1600 Std. To avoid the blast created with short barrelled rifle like my wife's 1600 Std 30-06, I simply switched to faster burning powder (using RL15 instead of W760/IMR4350). It's now much less a kicker and there is almost no muzzle rise. I've done that with the 8X57, too, and it also works fine.

Some stocks designs are also painful to shoot in some calibers....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Some stocks designs are also painful to shoot in some calibers....
Very important point here!

More important too for Lefty Larry. Something to take into consideration for lefty's! Old HVA stocks are Right Hand Prejuduced!

Due to the fact that I am left handed/shooting and the older 46 and 146 guns have cast-off, I had to totally reshape the stocks.

On a lark and at risk of ruining the gun, I removed a large amount of the comb and rshaped the slope of the 46...and...voila...

No face kick AT ALL.

The effect was so dramatic, I did it to a few other rifles with the same excellent result. I have a typical Scandinavian "On-Topic" { :D } "long head" with relatively high cheekbones and thus my cure might not work for others, as I am still able to get a low chin/cheek weld on the stock, but now all felt recoil is felt in the hands and shoulder, not the face. With a light rifle like the 46, it is dramatic. The gun was nasty before this stock work, now it is a pussycat.

Here's the 46. You can see the alteration of the comb {the limbsaver was only recently added}:

Top view of another rifle {Off Topic CZ550FS} that shows the exact same modification I made to my Huskies. You can see the slope for left side shooting. I might add, this also sticks the face directly behind the scope and/or sights and does in effect perform the same thing done by cast-on for a lefty without having to bend the stock. Look closely at the comb and you'll see the mod:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I recently satisfied my yen for a "sporterized" mod 96 Swede and got a Husqvarna 46 from Allens Armory. At first a checkered pistol grip and smooth forend seemed strange but I quickly got used to it. The rifle is absolutly beautiful, primarily because of the outstanding piece of walnut on this one. It is in 9.3x57, a reloading cartridge for all practical purposes. Just ask for ammo in a gun shop, esp one of the big boxes and see what kind of looks you get.

I recently took my wife home to Ga to visit her mother and took it along, but could not find a public range in middle Ga so did not get to shoot it there, After getting back home I contracted a cold and a lingering cough so have not felt like shooting at all, so it remains virgin territory for me. In the meantime I have been glass bedding as the factory bedding looks a bit rough, although I cannot say much for my glass job ( first time) so need to add a bit more to fill a few voids. It's still a bit cold and windy here for a good range day sow will wait until I am feeling better plus I am also waiting for a peep sight for a new little Marlin cl in 32-20 I got for the wife.

As far as a scope and old eyes I am 63 and the position of the rear sight seems perfect to me, I do have some eye problems, nearsighted as well as detached viterous humor in each eye resulting in numerous uncountable floaters in each eye which I just have to ignore.
This rifle is to light and trim to think about scoping, and the way it fits does not seem to be designed for scope use. I would not think about drilling and tapping for scope, prefering to leave this one totally original, except for the bedding.
As soon as I get to shoot it I will post my Impression

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
HVA,s recoil

I originally bought a M46 in 9.3x57 for the thoughts of using cast bullets. I have tried the 285 Prvi Partisan and found that the recoil was not really that bad (but I am pretty hefty myself).

I then bought a 8x57, HVA Commercial with solid left side wall, made in 1945. The recoil from factory rounds seemed sharper than the 9.3x57. The big difference between them is the shape of the butt stock, particularly the comb.

The 8x57, although a bit heavier, has a lot more drop at the butt, and the angle of the top of the cheek area slopes upwards from the butt to the receiver. The 9.3x57, although lighter in weight, does not have nearly as much angle, thus the recoil tends to come back more in line with the bore, and not at an angle which tends to "kick" the muzzle upwards.

There is probably about the same amount of recoil, but the APPARENT recoil is much more noticeable with the 8x57.

I used the 9.3x57 with the 285 for deer this year. More a fun thing than for serious meat gathering ability. November in Manitoba, heavier clothing, lots of deer. Pulled trigger, rifle discharged, deer went down. Did not really notice the recoil. I guess that is all you can ask for in a HUNTING rifle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently satisfied my yen ... and got a Husqvarna 46 ... This rifle is too light and trim to think about scoping, and the way it fits does not seem to be designed for scope use. .... As soon as I get to shoot it I will post my Impression
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I may have to switch to right some for a Husky 46. I'd look funny hunting with an eye patch ;-)

I look forward to your range and recoil report when you are feeling better.

I gather that the "original" safety solves the lefty issue and works for right or left shoulder shooting. Lee has a peep sight. Does anyone know for sure if HVA had peep put on the 46 from the factory? Would that be an HVA Jaktdiopter.

Thanks to all for your input. I got a fellow looking out for a HVA for me. Any suggestions for questions to ask and things to take into consideration when buying one sight unseen from what seems to be reputable guy? Your opinons would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
lEFT IS rIGHT AND rIGHT IS lEFT.

Larry: Everyone is different so YMMV, but you may find that left shoulder shooting is uncomfortable with some HVA's due to the stock drop, comb and castoff.

I don't think you will have trouble in the shoulder it but you will probably get it right in the chopper. Stocks seem to almost be made one at a time different each time so there is variation but many have sharp combs and a good deal of castoff. Doesn't make for comfortable portside shooting unless modified.

Mine are some of the most comfortable rifles I have ever shot, but that is after modification to keep them out of my face. Before they were just plain nasty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larry: Everyone is different so YMMV, but you may find that left shoulder shooting is uncomfortable with some HVA's due to the stock drop, comb and castoff....Stocks seem to almost be made one at a time different each time so there is variation but many have sharp combs and a good deal of castoff....Before they were just plain nasty.
Ugh! Nasty jolt to the chops. Thanks for the warning.

Maybe some forum friends can give their HVA a shot from their left shoulder...well sighted, and offer more input to this thread.

I providentially came upon a very nice Husky 310AS 12 ga that happened to have cast on. Understand this is helpful to lefty as well as full figured ladies. I do have some family that are both right and left handers. I do love the M38 and the shotgun.

You had me backing off the 8x57 and really going for the 9.3. Maybe you're now discouraging me from a HVA. At least now we know how to pray. It would be nice to have a HVA commercial rifle. Perhaps I should look for a 6.5 or 30-06 or .270 but they are scarce compared to the 9.3x57.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
. Perhaps I should look for a 6.5 or 30-06 or .270 but they are scarce compared to the 9.3x57.
Not sure what you mean here, but others can chime in. I do not believe you will get much recoil reduction from a 96-actioned .30-06 {compared to 9.3x57}. Even the 98-actioned 640 series '06's are going to kick like a .30-06.

Maybe I and/or others have been confusing.

A 9.3 is not a hard kicker, but it kicks like a, well, 9.3, not like a .223.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....It would be nice to have a HVA ... rifle. Perhaps I should look for a 6.5 or 30-06 or .270 but they are scarce compared to the 9.3x57.
Lee, what I mean is if you think the stock of a HVA will need to be re-bedded to handle the 9.3 recoil, and if you think the stock will smack a Lefty/shooter in the chops with a 9.3x57, then a rifle caliber with less recoil may work for me better and avoid the stock modifications like you did to your rifles. Just a thought.

Does a HVA 6.5 or .270 avoid the issues you raise concerning my shooting comfort and safety?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Does a HVA 6.5 or .270 avoid the issues you raise concerning my shooting comfort and safety?
If it has a sharp comb and cast off, No.

C'mon, Larry!

Buy one and shoot it. If it hurts, we can walk you thru a variety of fixes, plastic stocks or not. :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Larry,

Unless there's an evident crack on the stock, I do not bed my old rifles.
I presently have and use a M/46 in 9.3X57 and my 'ol buddy, a M/649 (M/94) in 9.3X62 and none of them are bedded. I did relief the fore end on both rifles, and the tang, though. I own quite a bit of them and never had to re-bed any except those have the (in)famous crack.
And the M/46 kicks much less than the M/649....

Nobody out there who can take Larry to the pit to make the thing spit some lead?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Larry,
It has likely been said already but the 146 I had was a ***** cat shooting loads that duplicate the origonal specs.
Loaded to potential and it really wakes the beast within. Unless you are hunting with it you have no need to do that really.

I have owned three other models and shot a fourth. All 30-06, two were 1100 Super Grades, one 1100 Deluxe and a 3000 Crown grade. The same standard as above applies to these ones. If you reload just make the gun work the way you want it to.;)

Which was my favorite, I have to say the 1100 Deluxe followed by the 146 only because a scope can be used easily on the first one. I still prefer to shoot the 9,3mm any day.

Tell you what, buy one of each and thank us later.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I Shoot left handed

HVA guns share the right drop for shooting open sight. There is a huge difference in rifles that were combed for scope shooting. Over the years I have rasped a few off that were rolled for right handers. The 640 or the 146 never bother my cheek no matter how much I shoot. Some shooters push their cheek to tight against the comb. The trick is to shoulder it in a way that that the recoil pushes you back without the jump. Flinching makes this worse. Relax and work up to shooting the ones with a lot of recoil by only shooting 3 shots at a time. After a short break shoot three more times. Your shooting form has a ton to do with felt recoil. All the best. Sunfish

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.