Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ryg
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
678 Posts
Posted - 09/02/2003 : 10:23:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in June, there was mention of a book on Austria-Hungarian WW1 firearms. I sent the publisher an e-mail but received no answer. Anyone got the book and can give an opinion? Would appreciate if someone would give the e-mail address again, so I can re-contact them, as well as give the title, price, snail mail address, and any other information about it. There may be new posters who might be interested in it, too.

tomcat
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
100 Posts
Posted - 09/02/2003 : 11:14:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself would be 'VERY' interested in this book!

Don
Looking for m95 long rifle parts, stock, & handgaurd.

tomcat
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
100 Posts
Posted - 09/02/2003 : 11:16:08 PM

would this be the book 'Krag' is putting out?

Don

Krag
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3553 Posts
Posted - 09/03/2003 : 11:55:00 AM

The book is "In der Stunde der Not" (In the Hour of Need) by Heino Hintermeier. Published by VS-Books, Postfach 200540, 44645 Herne, Germany. e-mail: [email protected]

It is in German but there a dozens of excellent photos, drawings, spec charts that make the book easy to understand. IMHO, the photos alone are worth the prices of the book.

My book is on Mannlicher straight-pull military rifles and will be published by Andrew Mowbray Publishers ( www.manatarmsbooks.com ). We are hoping for it to be availabe by early 2004.

"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

Edited by - Krag on 09/03/2003 11:56:41 AM

tomcat
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
100 Posts
Posted - 09/03/2003 : 12:07:31 PM

Krag I had my heart set on this fall! Could you send me an email?

[email protected]

Don

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 09/03/2003 : 5:08:52 PM

Hi ryg,
I agree with Krag. Heino Hintermeier's "In der Stunde der Not" is an outstanding book. It is actually an outgrowth of the five part series of articles on non-standard foreign-purchased and captured rifles taken into Austro-Hungarian Army service, 1914-1918, which he published in DWJ in 1990. The series has been expanded to cover the Bulgarian contract Mannlicher Model 1895 straight pull rifles, and much more detail has been added. I was very pleased to see that he added production data from the Steyr factory's day book...information that was previously unavailable. He provides production numbers for the Bulgarian contract, as well as Mauser production for Serbia (the M1899 and 1899/07)and the Mexican, Columbia and Chilean M.1912 rifles and carbines sequentered in 1914, 1915 and 1916. There is also a huge write-up on the Mosin Nagant in A/H service. As Krag mentioned, the pictures alone are worth the price of the book. My favorite is the Albanian Legionnaires in white turbans using the Turkish M.1893's captured from Serbia!

I had no trouble ordering the book from the address provided by Krag,. paid for it on-line by CC and got the book in a few days.
Best Regards,
John

quote:
Originally posted by ryg

Back in June, there was mention of a book on Austria-Hungarian WW1 firearms. I sent the publisher an e-mail but received no answer. Anyone got the book and can give an opinion? Would appreciate if someone would give the e-mail address again, so I can re-contact them, as well as give the title, price, snail mail address, and any other information about it. There may be new posters who might be interested in it, too.

Edited by - John Wall on 09/03/2003 5:10:32 PM

ryg

USA
678 Posts
Posted - 09/04/2003 : 10:05:49 PM

Thanks, folks! Sounds like a "must get"!

Colin

USA
708 Posts
Posted - 09/06/2003 : 01:30:41 AM

Krag,
A book on Austrian straight pulls is desperately needed. I bought my first one in 1954 a Steyr Stutzen. I've ben interested in them ever since. As I don't read German, the available literature is limited. I hope you sell 10,000 copies of your book. Please let us know how publication is coming.

Krag
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3553 Posts
Posted - 09/07/2003 : 12:04:23 PM

My Mannlicher book is now (hopefully?) scheduled to see the light of day by early 2004. I wrote it for exactly the reasons Colin mentioned - there was nothing in English on these fascinating rifles. Of course since I finished the manuscript I have been contactd by several self proclaimed "experts" who have provided me with lots of undocumented info on Mannlicher straight pulls. I have not included anything in my book that I could not document. No doubt I will be accused by these same persons of doing a poor job because I did not include their info. But then, that's the lot of all writers.

I was ably assisted by a number of Austrian and German authors. Heino Hintomeier and Josef Motz deserve special mention for their kindness, generosity, and enthusiam.

I will post here when the book is avaiable.

I also hope I sell 10,000 copies. Hell, I hope I sell 20,000 - I can use the money!

"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

tomcat
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
100 Posts
Posted - 09/07/2003 : 12:36:21 PM

I for one am looking forward to your book. So much going on with these that I seldom know what to believe. Thanks for your efforts and I have told many guys who are now waiting to buy the book.
Don

Don

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 09/22/2003 : 8:38:36 PM

I am a WWI collector and a very advanced one at that. I have paid many hundreds of dollars for great WWI information that is availadle in this book for meer pitance!!! I very highly recommend this book and whole hartedly wish it was in english but sorry it is not!! It is worth you translating it word for word!!
Darrell Goss

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

1 - 1 of 1 Posts