Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
He did have some training according to what I read. He acted like a pro, that young man is sharp.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He did have some training according to what I read. He acted like a pro, that young man is sharp.
I believe he stated he him and his friends had practiced with their rifles and were familiar with them, but regardless how he acted and maintained himself through out the entire encounter was amazing IMO. Just checking the weapon between shots for possible malfunctions is something I bet most would never do.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I believe he stated he him and his friends had practiced with their rifles and were familiar with them, but regardless how he acted and maintained himself through out the entire encounter was amazing IMO. Just checking the weapon between shots for possible malfunctions is something I bet most would never do.
I agree Sir. As the old time Border Patrol used to say..."he'll do to ride the river with "!

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
One of the recommended "Do's" in Vietnam was in the morning to break the seal on the cartridge in the chamber of you M16 by slightly pulling back on the charging handle. Supposed to prevent firing, and having a round that had moisture accumulated around it stick in the chamber and tear the head of the cartridge. You could do that, and using the forward assist, quietly re-chamber the round, without having to pull the charging handle all the way to the rear, and letting it loudly slam forward. Same thing for crossing a stream where you got the M16 under water. Just barely break the seal of the cartridge in the chamber, that would allow any water in. the bore to drain out. Used that numerous times when doing tactical exercises on my Scuba Team. John

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
15,000-20,000 rounds through multiple Ar15s and m16s and have never needed to use the forward assist once

yes he seems trained. His movements are very good
Affirmative. Tours of duty and training in all types of weather and climate. My included personal rifles. I’ve never actually needed the FA. Now with years of Army Sgts ensuring my compliance I still out of habit tap that bad Larry without thinking about it.
Well except my favorite AR of all time. Colt SP1. Haha no need, a slick side Colt with a 20 inch pencil barrel is heaven of a small caliber semi auto rifle. Perfection achieved circa 1964.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Some years ago while reading after action reports from Korean war I came across the following:

On reworked M1 carbines with used 15 shot magazines it was not uncommon when releasing the op rod on a reload for the bolt to not fully close. This was due to:
1) dust
2) weak return springs that passed inspection but were not as powerful when new in WWII (where the problem had not been observed)
3) slightly distorted magazines, they were originally intended to be a throw away like the M1 clip, which is why they are made of such thin metal.

The cure was to have soldiers make sure to check if the bolt was fully closed, and if not to manually close the bolt using the op-rod handle. Once the first load was done the self loading action would function, unless there was another problem.

Hence the requirement for a manual bolt closure. Cam from the Korean after action reports and resultant remedial action. Made perfect sense and most books do not make reference to why this requirement existed.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The original M16 was not seen to need it and also a common gun like the G3 does not use it.
It should only be used for a life or death scenario like kyle R. If you have time it is better to eject the round and chamber a new one.
The issue being if a cartridge is badly deformed it is possible to force it almost into the chamber and not be able to fully close the bolt results in a complete jammed up gun.
If someone wants to chamber a round quietly the forward assist can be used to fully chamber the round in those circumstances.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I never like the forward assist, didn't need one. When the wife and I ordered our M4 carbines she wanted the forward assist but I ordered mine without it. I never regreted that decision after six years and thousands of 7.62x39 rounds.

Wood Art Revolver Pliers Font

Reactions: barnetmill

·
Registered
970 Posts
I never like the forward assist, didn't need one. When the wife and I ordered our M4 carbines she wanted the forward assist but I ordered mine without it. I never regreted that decision after six years and thousands of 7.62x39 rounds.

View attachment 3902975
looks like you are missing a dust cover also. The dust cover is for some environments likely still a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
If you actually use your piece in the bush, swamps, sand, etc, the FA and the dust cover are assets even if you think they are un necessary.
There's playing at the range and then there is the real thing.
Using the assist to open the action when water is present as mentioned earlier, is a thing as is the action cover. That worked in swamps debris and sand and dust. Other situations as well.
Just what we had and the attempts to make them more functional.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you actually use your piece in the bush, swamps, sand, etc, the FA and the dust cover are assets even if you think they are un necessary.
There's playing at the range and then there is the real thing.
Using the assist to open the action when water is present as mentioned earlier, is a thing as is the action cover. That worked in swamps debris and sand and dust. Other situations as well.
Just what we had and the attempts to make them more functional.
But if one is only going to defend their property that does not consist of swamps etc., maybe the dust cover is not so important. The assist is used to close the action. To open the action ones use a charging handle or side charging bolt handle if the AR is so set up.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts