Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used 4320 for years for reloading 7.5x55 but with the recent cleaning out of reloading supplies all I have left to load for my K31 is some IMR 4895. My reloading book is a Sierra manual from '95. Looking at the Hogdens reloading page, it only show information for H4895.

My book shows 40.3 gr as a max load for the 175 gr BT bullet. I'm using pulled M72 173 gr GI bullets. Anyone have a more modern source of load data for these components with IMR 4895? I've discovered that the data in my book is no longer reliable. For example it shows a higher acceptable powder charge for W748 in .223 than the Hogdens site now shows for the same powder and bullet also for .223, lower by about 2 gr of powder.

I know I need to get a new reloading book but in the meantime I'm hoping a forum member can help out with this question.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I use 44 gr of IMR4895 with good results with that bullet. For best accuracy with that bullet though in a K31, I’d recommend R17 at around 47 and work up. You might find the best to be closer to 51.

The books are typically written for the older Schmidt Rubin rifles so published COAL is suspect due to the K31 shallow throat, but you probably already know that.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use 44 gr of IMR4895 with good results with that bullet. For best accuracy with that bullet though in a K31, I’d recommend R17 at around 47 and work up. You might find the best to be closer to 51.

The books are typically written for the older Schmidt Rubin rifles so published COAL is suspect due to the K31 shallow throat, but you probably already know that.
Thanks for the info. It is going to be IMR 4895 because that's all I've got and nothing's available around here. My die is already set for the OAL for the K31 and the M72 bullet so no worries there.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
IMR 4895 with a 175 gr BTHP....you will do just fine , don't worry. I have loads for my 7.5 Swiss K31 with this powder, with RL17, with RL15, with Varget, with IMR 4064 and with H4895 . All bring in same degree of outstanding accuracy. Load Development is always a PITA for the best long range hand load recipe but for 100 to 300 yard short range type shooting , just about any charge in the reloading manual will bring in very decent accuracy.

I won't argue that RL 17 is a great powder for K31, and its off the radar of most reloaders who chase Varget. RL15 and RL17 are most always available to find. I use RL 17 for 308 loads at 1000 yds line with 175 BTHP SMK's and love the results, I've dipped into my RL17 stash because I just evaporated my RL 15 stash of powder ...it too works great in 308 and other 30 caliber weapons.

Hard to go wrong with IMR 4895 for any 30 caliber weapon.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In the meantime, I just loaded 20 rounds -- 10 with 45 and 10 with 46 grains of IMR 4350. Sierra 's loads max out at 47.6 grains, but those data were developed with Norma cases and Winchester primers. I am using Privi brass and CCI 200s.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, I brought home a can of IMR 4166, but neither Sierra nor Hodgdon/IMR have any data for it in the 7.5X55.
Has anyone run Quickload with this powder, this caliber, and the 175 SMK?
I just shoot targets at 300M and don't need to push too hard. IMR 4166 at 42gr with 175 SMKs is all I need to get good results. At this level, it also has the added benefit of light recoil. -RJS

·
Registered
268 Posts
RJS, what brass and primer are you using with the 42-grain load of IMR 4166?
I mainly use Graf brass and Remington primers, although I like Federal Match too. I have a quantity of Norma brass that I like but for some reason, I hold it in reserve, for what I am not sure. The most critical issue in reloading 7.5 Swiss is the bullet and to make sure the ogive is just off the rifling of the particular gun you are using or if you have several then seated far enough in the casing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My only gauge is the eyeball test at this point, Leon, but comparing the depth of the backward bullet to where the ogive starts on my loaded 175 SMK shells, I should be in the neighborhood of the sweet spot. Hope to shoot it here shortly to verify.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since you have IMR 4895 on hand here is the data I noted from the Hodgon reloading center webpage back when it also listed IMR powders:

7.5x55 Swiss
IMR 4895

165-168 gr projectile : 38.4 - 45.6
180 gr projectile : 34 - 40.3

I understand this does not specifically cover the 173 gr projectile you were asking about, but you can at least get a feel for the charge ranges.

I have personally used IMR 4895 in my K31 with 168 gr AMAX bullets. Accuracy was about 1.5 MOA with 42.9 gr. My gun seems to prefer it a little more than my IMR 4064 loads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.