Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rough 1891 Argentine all matching #'s I wanted to know as much about it as I could, some of the articles I read they mention that carbines of that model had crests but the long rifles had them removed
Why and who did this?
Awhile back I had a 1909 that had a intact crest and had been a carbine.
was this a long rifle thing?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
my 1909 long rifle has the crest.

you can find any of the variations with intact crests, so i dont think it is a "long rifle thing" :p

i dont know the story about why the crests were ground, though.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I was told there was a law passed in Argentina that required the crests ground off, some kind of national pride thing... Guns exported before the law retained their crest.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The Argentines sold surplus mausers with the crests intact way back in the day (don't remember when) on the world market, these rifles ended up being bought by Bolivia (I believe through at least one middle man), several years later Chile and Bolivia went to war and the Chileans captured some of these Argentine mausers, and accused Argentina of supporting the Bolivians (Argentina was neutral), well to prevent this from happening again, the Argentinians passed a law that all surplus rifles must have their crests ground off, to show that they are being sold off as surplus and are no longer Argentine property. This law was later repealed in the late 1960s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts