Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's a samco imported post war Czech assembled rifle, and that's their import mark.

So no, it does not devalue it really. If it was a German wartime rifle, yes it would.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was WWII because it has a eagle over 63 on the receiver. Doesn't look like one of those Israeli rifles to me. So it's post war rebuilds out of spare parts?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, exactly (well, not rebuild, just post war build). That eagle/63 is just an initial inspection mark by the germans in the closing days of WWII, when the receiver was just that, a blank receiver. It's a gun assembled out of left over parts after the war.

Maybe Pisgah will chime in, he knows about these too.

Oh, and I assume it's a samco import. They imported a bunch of post war czech k98's with the overwhelming majority being the scrubbed receiver variety. Some had the rampant lions still on the receiver, some had other markings still present like this "dot 1945". Obviously the ones with intact receiver markings go for much more. This is a little more than expected (not by much though), maybe the winner thought he was getting a WWII rifle.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
didn't samco advertise 'some with German' markings, call for availability? some time ago? the 'rampant lion' is the giveaway.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,016 Posts
The capital "H" letter block is a tell as well...
That "5" in 1945 looks wonky to me, but as it's post war, no harm-no foul...

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,686 Posts
I bid on this one too, but xk319 is correct- a finished but unmarked receiver roll marked dot45 after the war. I wanted it for my postwar collection, but jeez, the price on some of these postwar offerings is crazy. I think it is a case where people think they are getting some kind of Nazi rifle, either that or dot45's are extremely rare, which I don't think they are.

The theory about dot45 markings - since the Czechs were making MG34's and were using the dot45 code, they started roll marking 98k receivers with dot45 for consistency- makes sense. There have been no reports of dot45 receiver rifles produced wartime. One discarded theory was these receivers were roll marked in anticipation of the dot45 code change, at which time swp45 was introduced and these were not used till after the war. This theory makes no sense, as reclaimed and VZ24 receivers were used to bolster production by dot, and I doubt good accepted receivers would have been set aside because of the roll mark.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you look at the "5" on all dot45's you will notice that they are slightly out of alingment. Out of the three wartime codes used (swp45, dou45, dot45) on post-war production these are the only ones that appear this way all the time. This was either a poor modification of the dot44 roll stamp, crappy production of dot45 stamp or the five is placed on the receiver last.

The Czechs did a brisk business up to the early 50's selling off German War time surplus left in their country and they had a lot if. However, in order to get around some restrictions on small arms exportation they continued to produce these receivers with war time codes for export selling them as German surplus. There is any Army intelligence report to this effect concerning Czech arms dealers in the 50's. The post war guns with German codes are themselves intended for export.

This created some confusion for wartime collectors who at one point were concerned that all the minty late dot44's may have been post war production. This is not the case as Army intelligence failed understand the nuance of WW2 small arms production in the way collectors do.

The blanko guns had their own use in the Czech Labor militia's as well as export.

As Farb says, the Wa63's and other German ord. markings are assumed to be legit but that is the purpose post war coding.

malaki

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
i just got my dot-45 israelie out, and the 5 is a little lower then the 194, it,s mismatched except for the bolt and reciever which were matched by the israelies when it was rebarrled to 7.62 , on the other parts the code is eagleWaa63 and i think it was assembled after the war and got into the israelie,s hands some how in 8mm and was later rebarrled to 7.62,it,s in ex. con. marked on rear sight base imported by armscorp. i bought a 96 1905 swede that was import marked under the hand guard, i liked where it was(out of sight). eastbank.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So that was an import mark? Well that sucks. Most sellers hate it when you ask if you can take a K98 apart to see if it's all matching ( when it's obvious that it's matching on the outside of course) Now we have to guess if it's import marked under the handguard? Maybe the inspector was captured and they kept using him or maybe they kept using that stamp as an inspection stamp, who knows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts