Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this belt, which was made into a hate belt, and it has 20 ammo loops, 10 on each side of the buckle. The tongue is stamped CDW.KAMMER DARMSTADT 1918. What was it initially used for? Any information would be appreciated. Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hard to tell just from the photo but I assume the ammo loops were added for civilian use after the war. I've never seen anything German issue that looks like this although perhaps someone out there knows better? I also suspect the belt was shortened...that U-shaped stitch pattern for the buckle hook (to the right of the buckle in the photo) is pretty nasty and not in keeping with the typically tight and even stitching seen on German military belts of the period. Regardless, this piece has had an eventful life!

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
To my knowledge NO German would have carried such a contraption in WWI. It would be a "Western belt avant la lettre" and certainly be "verboten to carry". Not with this guy, no way! There was some more discipline and rules in the Imperial German army of those days.
BTW, I should have seen them if they ever should have existed in that era ... nice but ... no! The buckle is what is interesting here for the collector, I have one and hope you can cherish the one you have. Be assured, I'm not a collector at all ... Gus will forgive me my bluntness on this matter:).

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
Hello Tomcat98,

It looks to me like someone took Grandpa's WWI souvenir "bring-back" and converted it for use as a custom revolver belt sometime long ago. The alteration is certainly not of WWI vintage IMHO, but an customized, functional Family keep sake.

Interesting, but as BC has stated, only the buckle has retained any collectible value.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts