217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author Topic
MAKAROB
Gunboards Member

USA
45 Posts
Posted - 10/16/2003 : 12:06:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My IJ70-17 has Made in Russia by IMEZ on the rt. side of the slide and right below that it has BAIKAL stamped in it.My question is that when reading about them on makarov.com their info seems to be saying (the way I understand it)that if it's a Ruskie commercial it's either one or the other,like they are two seperate arsenals.Could someone please set me straight?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROB

SlimTim
TN-GA Shooters Forum Moderator

USA
5238 Posts
Posted - 10/16/2003 : 1:24:21 PM

Baikal is not an arsenal, but a trade group, or name. Kind of like ConAgra Foods is to Orville Redenbacker Popcorn. They want us to believe that Orville makes it, but ConAgra distributes/sells it. You no doubt read that IMEZ stands for Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory.

ST

Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie.

Better Fred than red!
http://fred08.com

Georgians, Tennesseans, join your neighbors here!

Steve M
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1027 Posts
Posted - 10/16/2003 : 4:42:46 PM

Hi S. T.
Can you expand on that a little, I have an IMEZ with out any mention of Baikal anywhere. Does that mean that IMEZ made all the Russian IJ-70's and Baikal only exported some of them??? or only put their name on some of them??
Thanks , Steve

SlimTim

USA
5238 Posts
Posted - 10/16/2003 : 7:24:25 PM

Steve,

It's my understanding that indeed many were sold by IMEZ through American distributors with no participation by Baikal. I'm thinking that Baikal is not a very old organization, but I can't recall for certain. Ilya? You around with an answer?

Also, I've an idea I haven't checked out yet. Saw a question recently about an IJ70 that had the Russian letters for "IJ". I'd bet a dollar to a donut that these were sold directly from IMEZ before Baikal got involved. At the very least, it would appear they were originally made for another market.

ST

Better Fred than red!

ij70

USA
7025 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 01:17:10 AM

IMEZ is the maker. Baikal is distributer.

All the Russian PM (be that military or comercial models) are made by IMEZ.

Baikal was set up during USSR and its primary business was selling Soviet shotguns, made by TOZ and by IMEZ, however, that was literaly decades ago and it was restructured a few time during USSR and later.

I do agree with ST about some items being sold directly by factory. 1990s were very chaotic years in Russia. Factories were left to fend for themselves and a lot of things were possible, probably still are.

cgraz
Gunboards Member

USA
49 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 08:22:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SlimTim

Saw a question recently about an IJ70 that had the Russian letters for "IJ". I'd bet a dollar to a donut that these were sold directly from IMEZ before Baikal got involved.
ST

Mine is like that. It has the Russian lettering (looks like NX70). It has Baikal stamped on the left side of the slide, but no IMEZ anywhere on it.

Download Attachment:
32.71 KB

Edited by - cgraz on 10/17/2003 08:23:21 AM

Steve M

1027 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 09:11:33 AM

I just love these little details.....WETSU.......Steve

MAKAROB
Gunboards Member

USA
45 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 10:03:37 AM

Thanks for all the info.,love this board.By the way I realized that the Baikal & Made in Russia are on the left side of my slide.

ROB

SlimTim

USA
5238 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 11:12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cgraz

Mine is like that. It has the Russian lettering (looks like NX70). It has Baikal stamped on the left side of the slide, but no IMEZ anywhere on it.

Blows that idea up in smoke! Where do I send my buck? (Note I only bet finskies when I'm certain.)

Sure couldda used that donut.

ST

Better Fred than red!

cgraz
Gunboards Member

USA
49 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 11:18:31 AM

Keep the dollar, get the donut any way!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..Donut..

Dancbtmkr
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
130 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 11:50:28 AM

Where can one get parts for a IJ 70? My buddy needs a rear site, actually, just the blade, but ........ and where did makarov.com go? any sources for those parts? Numrich doesn't have em.

Dancbtmkr

Rush is right.

arcom the first

Congo, Democratic Republic of
1360 Posts
Posted - 10/17/2003 : 2:08:16 PM

"My buddy needs a rear site"

Didn't George say they had parts at makarov.com or was it just the screw?

Posted by the original "arcom" who continues to support Century Arms in spite of the hair and who follows that age-old adage: "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts