Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but I read with interest about the conditions and opinions on the Martini Henry's that came out of Nepal.
What is your opinions on the 1864 Snider breech loaders ?? I already assume that what you recieve might be the luck of the draw and conditions will vary.
I assume that these were built in England ?
As they stated in the advertising, were many of this type of rifle ever really imported by either the confederacy or the union armys ? ?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As usual, I buy a gun without doing the homework.

For what it is worth, AC told me that still had 17 on the shelf, and of course for the extra $50 they would take the best of the litter. I know that I am running late on this project, so what I am to do except buck up the $50.00. I am sure that the bottom of the barrel may not look too good by now.

So I gather that the Snider type rifle really came into use in the late 1860's.

I ordered one without the English marks. But from what I have read, buyers have not been too displeased with their Nepal Sniders.

I am glad that I did not stir up a hornets nest like you do when you go to the Mauser forum and say that you just bought a Mitchell Mauser.
Hey Guys ! Its only $300.00 bucks !

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lock N Larry,
I recieved mine today and like yourself, I was very well pleased.
I took the wood and cleaned it up with some 0000 steel wool and terpintine and then when it dried I hit it with a treatment of boiled linseed oil and it looks really nice.
The bore and metal parts were in excellant shape.
Buying towards the end, I thought that I would get a dog.
The bayonet was rusty, so I threw it in my tumbler with ball bearings and fluid and cleaned it untill it matched the pantina of the gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.