Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Now I'm really showing my noobness

Forgive me for asking (remember, I'm new to Mausers) but what makes this one so special?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,016 Posts
Someone bidding THAT high makes it quite a special price, but the rifle is the holy grail of late war Styer collectors, very few made, VERY few seen.
That gentleman (and the guy he outbid) knew it AND had the bucks to spend.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I see said the blind man :p

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yep, Perfect example of "More Money Than Brains!" Doesn't make any difference how rare a K98k is that price is assinine!!! :eek:
I collekt 660/bnz K98ks - got about 25 - and would very much would like to have an swj XE, however after these 2 Idiots got done I don't have a snow balls chance in hell!!!
Sarge

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Blessed are the meek

Yep, Perfect example of "More Money Than Brains!" Doesn't make any difference how rare a K98k is that price is assinine!!! :eek:
I collekt 660/bnz K98ks - got about 25 - and would very much would like to have an swj XE, however after these 2 Idiots got done I don't have a snow balls chance in hell!!!
Sarge
For they shall inherit the earth. Sunfish

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yep, Perfect example of "More Money Than Brains!" Doesn't make any difference how rare a K98k is that price is assinine!!! Sarge
Hardly. It's Econ 101 in action. If the market will bear the price, someone will pay it. But just because you (the collective "you") wouldn't pay that much doesn't make the buyer an ass. It's no different than folks who'll drop $40k on a '21 Thompson. They aren't making any more of them and if you want to play, you'll have to pay. Me? I can't figure out why some women will pay tens of thousnads of dollars for tiny glittery rocks not much bigger than a pencil eraser. On the other hand, if I had a spare $40k laying around, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it on a nice transferrable MG42. But I don't begrudge the guys who can afford to collect the exotic or rare stuff. MOre power to them.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Price and Value

As long as people can distinguish the concepts of price, market price and value (three *very* different terms), I have no problem.

Alas, many collectors can't or rather won't. Too much stubbornness and emotional investment on the stake.
;-)

Alexander

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Dead wrong.
The problem is your use of language.

Carcano
What??? I know this thread getting hijacked, but what's your point in trying to parse words? If it's any help to you, Funk and Wagnall's Standard Dictionary defines "worth" as: "1. value or excellence of any kind; 2. the exchangable or market value of anything", and further defines "value" as: "1. the desirability or worth of a thing"

Something, anything, everything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, that sporterized rifle rifle was worth exactly $20,025.00 to a buyer going by the handle of "BPatrone."

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Something, anything, everything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.
Dead wrong. If you are not fluent in English (not the slightest reproach, this is a worldwide board), please try your native language, and somebody will certainly volunteer to help you translate.
And if you just don't know what words mean, consider instead keeping your mouth shut, and thereby avoiding to demonstrate your ignorance of the issue at hand.

Carcano

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Dead wrong. If you are not fluent in English (not the slightest reproach, this is a worldwide board), please try your native language, and somenody will certainly volunteer to help translate. And if you just don't know what words mean, consider instead keeping your mouth shut, and thereby avoiding to demonstrate your ignorance of the issue at hand.

Carcano
I'm guessing you missed the bit about Funk and Wagnall's Standard Dictionary and its definition, eh? For the record, I didn't write the dictionary (and I doubt you did either.) Perhaps you should focus more on your own reading comprehension skills rather than demonstrate your lack of knowledge on the subject of semantics.
EOM

·
Gold Bullet member
7,016 Posts
Class! Behave!
Now what were we talking about?
Oh yeah, de-chroming my parade rifle??/

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I shall repeat a basic statement of mine, because its purposeful simplicity may be squarely appropriate for your (low) level of comprehension, Bill:

As long as people can distinguish the concepts of price, market price and value (three *very* different terms), I have no problem.

Alas, many collectors can't or rather won't. Too much stubbornness and emotional investment on the stake.
;-)
Muse on that.
Ruminate it.
Meditate.

And when you have understood it, please report back and re-enter the discussion.

Carcano

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
This guy has outbid me in the past. He usually doesn't get too crazy, but this must of hit his sweet spot. Makes me almost want to get in touch with him & see what else he's looking for............BPatrone, I've got what you're looking for. Please feel free to get in touch! BB

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mr Liberatore,
This is the last I'll say in this thread, likely to your great joy, but I am astounded by your animosity, your rudeness, and militancy, at someone who dares to disagree with anything you may wish to say. It wasn't I who started by slinging insults. Perhaps that's normal behaviour of someone from Italy or whatever other tinhorn, third-rate country to which you belong. Or perhaps it's simply your own self-importance at working for some podunk college that ranks right beside DeVires Intitute and Key Business College. I don't know, nor do I care. However, I believe your animosity would be better put to use against the editors of the above-cited dictionary, instead of someone who dares to disagree with you.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
This is the last I'll say in this thread
I am glad you decided to heed my advice to muse, ruminate, and meditate. A circumspect decision.

However, I believe your animosity would be better put to use against the editors of the above-cited dictionary, instead of someone who dares to disagree with you.
Nah.
Let's not blame these honorable scholars. Just as one must not blame the makers of a car if one drives on the wrong side, at night without lights, and without putting on the safety belt, so there is no point in blaming the good editors of a dictionary if some people are unable to use it properly.

Back to the sporterized Kar98k carbine in question. In a very recent online auction, a certain price was realized. This price - reflection of how much a certain person at a certain moment in a certain mood was willing to pay - has nothing to do with a market price (there *is* no market price for a swjXE), and even less with value or worth. As simple as that.

Carcano

·
Registered
128 Posts
People will pay what they are willing to...and if that is $20,000, so be it.

Either way, Carcano, you have a really bad attitude.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
That's enough guys. I'm supposed to be "moderate". However, please, let's focus on the rifle that evidently sold for $20k+ to someone and not terms particularly germane to microeconomics. Nobody likes to be insulted or talked down to. Thanks.
Hambone

1 - 20 of 46 Posts