Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any distributors selling M39's (that accept C&R FFL)? I'm not looking for perfect condition, but would like reasonable bluing (30-40% or there abouts) and wood that doesn't look like it will splinter into firewood at first firing. I don't want to spend more that $180 if possible. I've seen that Empire Arms and a few other still have some, but they are all premium price and atleast Good+ condition.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Good luck in finding one like that. They can be found, but pretty much, most of your M39 prices start to bottom out at around 200. If you were looking about 4 years ago, your needs wouldn't be hard to find at all. But, things have changed and the secondary market is where most M39s are sold now.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Distributors have distributed them a long time ago, they were already getting to the bottom of the barrel when I got into guns in 1999.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I saw one on the walls of Military Gun Supply today for about three and change.

Good luck on finding that million dollar rifle with the $49.95 tag.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Right now www.gunsnammo.com seems to have decent pricing and a number of M39s in stock - I have bought a number of M39s from them in the past and have been very satisfied. Check Empire Arms as well - Dennis has nice stuff.

Most nice ones are way over $ 200.00 and have been for a while.

Tiledude

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I know the pickens are slim, but thats why I'm not after "condition, condition, condition." I just want a solid gun, with little bluing and a stock that doesn't look like it was dragged thru barbed wire, or used as a hammer to pound tent stakes. I'll have to think hard about one of those at www.gunsnammo.com thanks for the link. I'm still watching a few gunbroker auctions, and if I don't have one from there in the next few days I'll probably get one from www.gunsnammo.com.

Any other thoughts I'd be happy to entertain them. Mostly I want an M39 to help me shoot up my ammo, got 900+ rounds of hungarian, bulgarian, and czech ammo from when I first bought my M44 (Hungarian). I'm looking for a bit more accuracy than the M44 affords. And maybe a milder shooter. I've even just thought of getting an ex-sniper 91/30 or a Finn captured 91 or something like that.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Mr Burns at Guns and Ammo has done what he wanted to do with or without a license and by buying all the last of the M39's established a market that he controlls the prices in by alloting only to those who sell within his stipulated range of prices. The secondary market requires patience and hunting to find an M39 for a reasonable price. They are out there but will not be found in the typical American way of well I want one within a week or two. I paid $185 for the last one I got from a walkin at a local gun show but they are few and far between. Good Luck in your hunt and may God grant you patience. Bill

·
Registered
535 Posts
Being somewhat new to the scene, I sense some animosity towards the Burns' operation in collecting circles. Can anyone tell us more of the back story, other than what zeebill wrote above? I do think the prices are inflated, fwiw. That said, I wouldn't trade my two m39's for anything that where purchased from GNA. Not trying to start anything, just curious. Thanks.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Rumors of rather nefarious dealings concerning Mr.Burns in the past abound.
I can only verify that I bought two from gunsnammo.com with most satisfactory transactions and shipping so fast, my FFL had them the next day!
They are sitting on the motherload of remaining M39s that were imported and inventory changes daily in their listings.
Average prices are in the $300+ range.
Advertising "new, unissued" claims on some would appear to be reasonably accurate as the ones I got certainly appeared close to the stated descriptions with nary a trace of powder or copper residue in the pristine bores.
'67-'73 were allegedly "sniper and officer training" with imported and unmarked barrels and of higher quality.
Maybe luck of the draw but, the '70 I treasure was someone's pet that had obviously been finely worked by someone who knew what they are doing and I am still in the process of trying to master and replicate the little touches performed on bolt and most sweet trigger.
Not the least to mention, son prefers it over our tack driver M1 and tack driver it is!
The '67 was just as clean and accurate but not worked to perfection but I got that one specifically for a custom bench rifle that can now reliably whack golf balls at 250 yards with the scope!
A good M39 is most certainly everything a Mosin is not and well worth the price, especially since when these are gone ... good luck finding one. I'm seriously considering adding another in the next month or so just to have it while I can get it.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure what Mr. Burns' business practices are that allowed him to 'established a market that he controls'. All I know is that I was very satisfied with the rifle I just got and the prices for what's available through him are definitely below the M39 offerings I've seen at the Portland gun shows. Most I've found locally are in the $400 range and visually not in as nice condition.

Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
I have been happy with a few purchases from Mr.? Burns. Decent prices for M39's, but Empire is a board sponsor. If they have an M39 that fits your criteria I go that route.

So who runs gunsandammo.com? I see a photocopy of a Patricia Burns. Looks and sounds like a female to me. Just curious as Pat is short for Patricia after all.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
I agree with going with Empire first. I haven't seen any antique M39 Mosins there for a while now though, and wanted to get one before year's end.

Keith

·
Registered
348 Posts
M39

Does anyone have experience with the overall condition of the M39's that Southern Ohio Gun have listed in their flyer? I bought a couple of Nagant revolvers, ammo, and accessory stuff from them in the past, but am wondering if their M39's are "good ones"?
I'm planning to purchase one shortly and of course will check sponsors site first!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,263 Posts
I have not seen any M39's under $180 for several years, so if that is your requirement, you are shutting yourself out, IMO.

Also IMO, the current gun panic, combined with a dwindling supply of M39's of any type is pushing up prices. If you went to a gun show today, I do not think you would see any below $250.

Definitely check out Empire Arms. An excellent dealer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was [very] lucky and snagged this one at a gun show for $150! (see pic) But the other posts are correct- your gotta be prepared to spend at least $200+ for a relatively nice M39... Although I have found (and snagged) an M39 from gunsnammo.com for just under $200- you just have to be vigilant...

-Palimino

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Two points --

First and most important, I think it's fair to point out that for the quality of the rifles, M39s for under $300 are still a damn good value, collectability aside. You'll all be wishing for $300 M39s in a decade or so.

Secondly, gunsnammo.com used to be "Wholesale Guns & Ammo" and they have, since I have been collecting, basically controlled the M39 market. They own all or most of the last-ever shipment of surplus M39s from Finland.

Some small lots appear at other distributors from time to time, but the VAST majority are under the ownership of what once was a distributor and is now a private collection of thousands of M39s.

I have had decent dealings with them over the years, though they aren't all that friendly and some of their rarer M39s have suspicious features.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
When these were bought (mid 90s I'd wager), retail for M39s were mostly in the $100 to $150 range depending on quality. So, buying up the last M39s seems like a business gamble that has paid off, especially since the rifle's popularity has really taken off only in the last few years. That doesn't sound so sinister. TGI has the 'corner' on all of the M28-76s in the country, but I don't hear too much grumbling about that.

Rather than focus on business motives, lets focus on the quality of the product. I'm satisfied with mine. Are there others out there who have rifles of suspicious nature? I dunno. Anyone have a less than satisfactory transaction that they'd be willing to share their story about?

Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts